Packing the NineT / Luggage Options Thread. - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

364Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking Packing the NineT / Luggage Options Thread.

Hello!

I'm starting this thread for all to share how they are packing up their bike, I know I can't wait to get out of town on the nineT and ride!
Day trips, commuting, long haul camping trips and everything in between.
If it bolts, straps or is welded to your bike to facilitate carrying anything please share what you've done, what you are interested in buying or have ideas to do.
Bag or luggage reviews most welcomed and of course we need photos too!

Cheers,

Finn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 12-14-2015 at 10:59 PM.
post #2 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'll start out with what I've come up with so far. We do a fair bit of traveling/camping off of small dual sport bike, I've been hoping most of our luggage could move on over to the nineT and turns out it does. I'm sure there's room for improvement but here's my setup for the time being.

Day rides.
I only need to carry my camera, shown here is a HPRC 2200 case bolted directly to the subframe. No spacers, just 2 OEM bolts and two longer bolts needed for the front two.
I also have a USB charger mounted in the box to charge gadgets while on the go, the disconnect for the box is a SAE plug wired into the BMW accessory circuit where the outlet used to be.
Info on wiring it up can be found in the Wiring Gadgets on the NineT Thread
http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/acc...et-thread.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-17-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #3 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
More than a day ride, or when the day ride will take me far from home and I want to carry more tools, spare tubes, air pump, etc.

Here I added a Giant Loop Mojave Bag to the bike, it fits just fine and I don't see any issues with running it. 13 liters of storage added. I was able to fit the pillion seat by using a longer bolt, just to see it it works. It does.
The down side of this bag it it's not waterproof. water resistant, yes. but riding in rain for hours and things will get wet inside it. Problem solved with dry bag or large zip locks inside for traveling, most of the time in SoCal I don't need to worry about rain... you know that drought we're having has at least one positive side!

Now add in a HPRC 2300 case giving me more space. I just drilled some holes through the Mojave and it all works just peachy.

mikeo and TheBeautifulBoxer like this.

post #4 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Long haul camping.

In addition to the HPCR 2300 and the Mojave bag, I'm adding a MEC 10L bag to the tail, secured with 1/2" adjustable ROK straps using the tie off point on the subframe and looping the straps back to each other on the rear end.
I also added an axe, tent poles and a tripod, all essential for me when camping - also secured with ROK straps + the built in straps on the Mojave bag.
Shown here is everything I need for an open ended camping spring summer fall adventure on the ninet, basically the same pack I use on my Husaberg minus the hard case. Winter camping will take a bit more space...

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-17-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #5 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Excellent Finn!!!
Looks like a professional did it!

Oh wait....

You ARE a professional...
Lost Rider likes this.
post #6 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 PM

who said this bike won't tour?

Lost,

Like you I used my R12R for touring and always found it totally adequate. Of course a GS is more suitable at the extremities but that is not to say the R12R and now the R9T won't do the job. I believe in the past people toured on bikes even before the GS was made.

There's something very satisfying about working out what suits the individual rather than just filling a couple of panniers and taking off on an adventure (many of which end up in a motel or hotel judging by experience and observing driveways.

What I like about your setup and mine (when I 'build' it) is that it will be another way to define the bike and the rider. Isn't that part of the customisation process?

------------------
2007 F800ST, 2007 R1200R, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200R, 2008 HP2 Megamoto, 2011 R1200GS, 2013 R1200GS LC, 2014 R nineT, 2015 R1200RS, 2016 R nineT
post #7 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Absolutely petrichor, folks been touring on bikes long before there were "touring bikes".
I enjoy figuring out what's best for me, less is more too. The nineT will certainly be very enjoyable to travel on - in style!

On another note, folks looking for more storage might want to check out the Giant Loop Coyote saddle bag setup, judging from how well the Mojave works I think it will be a nice fit with more space available. Being able to keep heavy things like tools or liquids down low will certainly help with the handling of the bike in the twisties.

Coyote Saddlebag ยป Giant Loop

post #8 of 657 Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 PM

Garage
Now I have a Glove Compartment

I won't be going on any long trips anytime soon, but I thought it would be nice to have a little space for odds and ends. Fortunately, I had this little ditty bag sitting around. Water resistant (waterproof nylon lined) and plastic zippers. Has belt slots on the underside, so it strapped right to the tail piece, and I finished (burned) the nylon ends. Has strong clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	2566
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	2610  
Lost Rider likes this.
post #9 of 657 Old 03-21-2014, 11:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I'll start out with what I've come up with so far. We do a fair bit of traveling/camping off of small dual sport bike, I've been hoping most of our luggage could move on over to the nineT and turns out it does. I'm sure there's room for improvement but here's my setup for the time being.
Lost, I do like that HPRC 2200, and gives me some great ideas for single riding. Might have to get one even if it won't be for every day!
post #10 of 657 Old 03-25-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking

Good news for me and anyone else hoping to use a SW-Motech Quick-Lock gas cap tank bag, or in my case, tank box. This opens up many possibilities for various tank bag options for the ninet, none of which will scratch the paint and even with electrified bag options.
The Type 124 tank ring from a R1200R does indeed fit on the ninet. While it's not a perfect color match there's no issue with it functioning normally. I'm hoping SW-Motch will offer a ninet specific mount, this one will eventually need to go back onto Nancy's 12R... but for now it's all good.

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK Type 124 EVO Tankbag Bottom Tankring - TwistedThrottle.com

Various bags:
Tankbags - Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

I've been using a setup like this for many years on various bikes, for me having a 100% water/everything proof tank box is important when traveling. Function over fashion, though I don't think it looks too out of place on the ninet when in travel mode.

Here's the tank ring while I was swapping it out with the 12R, it's a simple install really.

And some photos of my HPRC 2100 tank box that's mounted to the SW-Motech quick release.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page