Corbin Seat Thread - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 Old 01-25-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Corbin Seat Thread

EDIT:
This is a place for Corbin on a NineT discussions, posts moved from Marketplace.

-Lost

It's no better than the stock seat - a friend got one and didn't like it. Saved me the agony of wasting money on one.

frank
Compromise is always wrong if it means sacrificing a principle.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 01-26-2015 at 09:20 AM.
post #2 of 105 Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
It's no better than the stock seat - a friend got one and didn't like it. Saved me the agony of wasting money on one.
The other bike in my garage is an '02 Kawasaki Mean Streak. The stock seat was awful. I bought a Corbin for it. It gave me numb butt faster than the horrible original seat. I sold it. The fella I sold it to (I told him I was selling it because I thought it was even worse than the original) e-mailed me a while later to say he agreed and had sold it to someone else who thought it looked cool. Wouldn't buy another Corbin unless I'd had a chance to take a ride on one first.
post #3 of 105 Old 01-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatt View Post
The other bike in my garage is an '02 Kawasaki Mean Streak. The stock seat was awful. I bought a Corbin for it. It gave me numb butt faster than the horrible original seat. I sold it. The fella I sold it to (I told him I was selling it because I thought it was even worse than the original) e-mailed me a while later to say he agreed and had sold it to someone else who thought it looked cool. Wouldn't buy another Corbin unless I'd had a chance to take a ride on one first.
Seats are pretty subjective. Lotta different asses out there... I have a Corbin on the way and am pretty optimistic about it. Considering the limitations of the stock seat, I have a hard time believing anything that's a little wider/more plush could be worse (for this butt anyway). Time will tell.

- N8

post #4 of 105 Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
Seats are pretty subjective. Lotta different asses out there... I have a Corbin on the way and am pretty optimistic about it. Considering the limitations of the stock seat, I have a hard time believing anything that's a little wider/more plush could be worse (for this butt anyway). Time will tell.
Will be interesting to see how you like it. I'll know who has one if I'm tempted...
post #5 of 105 Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmike View Post
Paypal sent. I wasn't really looking for a Corbin but I'll give it a spin.
please post photos.

Remus Headers, Kineo wheels, Matris Suspension, BoosterPlug, Rizoma+

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420
post #6 of 105 Old 01-26-2015, 01:32 AM

It must really depend on the bike. Back in the day (late 80s) I bought one for my Honda Hawk, huge difference in comfort, and it looked really good. This one for the 9T? Not feeling it, besides, Corbin should look into doing a good seat for those with the BMW accessory "rear hump". I would not trade my hump or stock seat for anything Corbin is offering - which is sad - always been a bit of a Corbin fan.
post #7 of 105 Old 01-26-2015, 08:44 AM

Gunfighter on a Kaw W-650

I put a Corbin Gunfighter on my '01 W-650, kinda feels like I'm sitting on a piece of 2X8 framing lumber without the splinters. I guess that's why the bike only has about 4,000 miles on it. I have a '70s Airhead Corbin that I haven't unwrapped yet so maybe I will have to do a comparison between the two and see if Corbin has improved or gotten worse over the years.

I've heard a number of people joke around that Corbin makes seats for hard arsses.
post #8 of 105 Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 AM

I have sat on Corbin seats on Hondas and I have found three things about them.

1) They break in. Not sure if this is due to using real leather or if the foam that they use needs to mold to your butt but they feel better after a few months.

2) They are wider than stock seats which helps distribute the weight over a wider surface.

3) They have good re-sale value so if you decide to get rid of it even years down the line you can get at least $275 for it on eBay.

I personally do not like two things about the look--the hump (as I like my aluminum hump and it is where I keep my insurance and registration) and the logo. I hate loud logos and I contacted Corbin about this back when I was debating getting one. Corbin informed me that I could special order one with black thread used for the logo.

However, for $300 I'm willing to play with this one. Perhaps have it modified to remove the hump so I can use the factory hump (whick would also take care of the logo) or get a black marker and color in the logo. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I can get most of my money back on eBay or here but I have a feeling that the hump will be the deal breaker for me.
post #9 of 105 Old 01-26-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmike View Post
I have sat on Corbin seats on Hondas and I have found three things about them.

1) They break in. Not sure if this is due to using real leather or if the foam that they use needs to mold to your butt but they feel better after a few months.

2) They are wider than stock seats which helps distribute the weight over a wider surface.

3) They have good re-sale value so if you decide to get rid of it even years down the line you can get at least $275 for it on eBay.

I personally do not like two things about the look--the hump (as I like my aluminum hump and it is where I keep my insurance and registration) and the logo. I hate loud logos and I contacted Corbin about this back when I was debating getting one. Corbin informed me that I could special order one with black thread used for the logo.

However, for $300 I'm willing to play with this one. Perhaps have it modified to remove the hump so I can use the factory hump (whick would also take care of the logo) or get a black marker and color in the logo. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I can get most of my money back on eBay or here but I have a feeling that the hump will be the deal breaker for me.
I sold my hump last year. Then kinda missed it. Thought about picking up a new one, but for half the price of a hump and a custom solo saddle, I could get the Corbin - which is a hump and a solo saddle. Just made sense.

I went with the stealth version - leather seat, black sides and back, and black stitching throughout (logo too).

I absolutely expect the Corbin to have some break-in time. I'm sure a lot of people sell them before giving them enough time to do that. At the absolute very least (IMHO) it looks better than stock and has a wider base for an Airhawk.

- N8
post #10 of 105 Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Banned

EDIT:
This is a place for Corbin on a NineT discussions, posts moved from Marketplace.

-Lost

We did wait 'til AFTER it was sold to discuss its' virtues...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page