Sargent Cycle Storage Pod - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sargent Cycle Storage Pod

I installed my recently received Sargent Cycle Storage Pod.

I had intended to do install pictures, but it's so straightforward it's not really worth the effort. You pull off the pillion, slide the Pod mount's forward arms under the seat like the pillion, then send a mounting bolt down through the pod, through a rubber bumper, and through the pillion bolt hole. Tighten nut and done.

Pictures:

It's light and very nicely made. As you can see it supplies locking storage, has a lightweight carpet type liner on the inside and, nice touch, two LED's light up the inside when the hatch is in the up position and automatically shut off when its closed.

The brushed aluminum finish (on the plastic pod) perfectly matches the brushed aluminum tank. The backstory on that is that my wife actually ordered it for me in early December for Christmas and it didn't arrive until last week. We had been in comms with Sargent, and they explained that their supplier had been having a very difficult time recreating the brushed aluminum look that the prototypes had, and they had rejected production units as not up to snuff. They were full of apologies, but said they were sourcing different suppliers and would only send out units that met their standards.

Okay, I can get behind that.

Everything certainly looks good to my eye and, as you can see, they included a hat, perhaps as recompense for the wait.

I wanted a small storage area for registration papers, a few visor wipes, sunglasses, etc. This should fill the bill. My only worry is as to how weatherproof it may turn out to be. It has a gasket to help seal it when it closes, but we'll see how it holds up to the first rain encounter.

So far, thumbs up from me.
PhilS, trider2015, Kenko and 2 others like this.

Bar risers, knurled seat bolt, canisterectomy, alum snorkel intake, titanium oil filler cap, aluminum frame caps, Wunderlich peg lowering kit, SW Motech mirror extenders, Sargent Storage Pod, Atlas Throttle Lock, leather grip wraps, Alien engine cover badge, Hornig rear hugger, T-Rex slider kit
post #2 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM

Garage
It looks awesome! Could you get some decent sunny/outdoor close-ups of the finish the next time you have a moment? I'd love to see how well its finished before shelling out the cash.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 PM

And it's not too bad wit the black version either...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philip...h/26757500970/

post #4 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevyn Paige View Post
It looks awesome! Could you get some decent sunny/outdoor close-ups of the finish the next time you have a moment? I'd love to see how well its finished before shelling out the cash.
I'll try, but the next sunny day around here isn't forecast until June, and even then it's only a 50% chance.

Bar risers, knurled seat bolt, canisterectomy, alum snorkel intake, titanium oil filler cap, aluminum frame caps, Wunderlich peg lowering kit, SW Motech mirror extenders, Sargent Storage Pod, Atlas Throttle Lock, leather grip wraps, Alien engine cover badge, Hornig rear hugger, T-Rex slider kit
post #5 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 04:04 PM

Sorry, but I hate the look of this hump. I can see the practical appeal, but looks like it belongs on a Japanese sports bike. It destroys the cafe racer top line and unbalances the entire look of the 9T.

9T Sold May 2017

Remus Headers, Kineo wheels, Matris Suspension, BoosterPlug, Rizoma+

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420
post #6 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Garage
Yeah I'm with roadrunner I'm afraid, it's aesthetically too big and bulky. If you're only keeping reg papers and wipes in the storage wouldn't a zip lock bag have done the trick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM

Garage
Not a fan. Lines don't match the bike. But the idea is fantastic.

Haulbikes.com SUCKS - Beware

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Being positive it is certainly prettier than a top box, so if you really want to have something for storage that isn't saddlebags or a rear rack, then I guess this is a good option. Nice that it locks.

Not for me, but I'm glad you like it.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)

Last edited by BaldyDave; 02-27-2017 at 05:57 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Very practical and I hope it's weather proof too, it's your bike to do with as you please. And I love your dog, lol.

2014 RnineT rebuilt/2010 VFR1200 custom(sold)/2009 MV 312 RR 1078
post #10 of 23 Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No problem with the criticism and, to tell the truth, I'm not entirely sold on the look either.

But, I've been in and out of the garage all day, looking at the bike, and it's growing on me. I could wish that it sit a little lower, but the lines, to my eye, at least work with the tank. Also, I think that top picture that I posted exaggerates the size somehow - it doesn't appear quite that big in the flesh.

As far as practicality goes, yes, I want the storage. I did have the registration papers and a few visor wipes under the pillion, but there was room for nothing else. Now they'll live in the tail storage, along with a Ram X Mount and arm for my iPhone when they're not in use (most of the time), sunglasses in their case (ditto), and my iPad mini that I often take along when I go on a solo ride that involves a meal stop. Plus any sundries (snacks, water, etc), all of which will no longer be bulging my jacket pockets.

The final arbiter will be Mrs Alien, though, who also rides the T, and if she wrinkles her nose at it it will probably end up in the For Sale section. Happy wife happy life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page