Any mettalurgists out there? - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-19-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Any mettalurgists out there?

I'm hoping one of you fine upstanding forum members knows something about mettalurgy. I recently bought some "lowered" foot pegs. They work perfectly except my controls are now slightly out of reach for good accurate braking and shifting inputs. I just bought the Rizoma adjustable shift lever and I'm quite sure that'll solve the shifting. My plan for the brake lever is to cut, bend and weld. I will cut some relief kerfs in the area that I plan on bending and then run some welding along those kerfs to strengthen everything back up. My question is this; with the base metal being cast, can it be welded? I know a bit about welding but I've never worked with cast aluminum. Please refer to the attachments and tell me what you think? What you're looking at is a tracing of the brake lever. Sorry about the rotated pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake lever 1a.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	73594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake lever 1b.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	73602  

"Bald men rule!"
post #2 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
How does it attach to the bike? I can cnc it out of 8mm ali if you give me an exact drawing.

2014 RnineT rebuilt/2010 VFR1200 custom(sold)/2009 MV 312 RR 1078
post #3 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 05:18 AM

Quite clearly, aluminum is aluminum whether it is cast, extruded, forged, etc. and so as long as use the correct welding rods/sticks you will be fine. End of story...

post #4 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
How does it attach to the bike? I can cnc it out of 8mm ali if you give me an exact drawing.
Jigsaw, this is the same OEM brake lever that is on all of our bikes. Not unless you swapped yours out for an after market unit and sold the original you have it. I'm gonna respond to another member about aluminum being aluminum and welding not being an issue. I'll ponder on this for a minute. I may take you up on your offer. I've got an old 2004 version of AutoCAD; I haven't drafted in a long time. Let me know what format you need and I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

"Bald men rule!"
post #5 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopskipjump View Post
Quite clearly, aluminum is aluminum whether it is cast, extruded, forged, etc. and so as long as use the correct welding rods/sticks you will be fine. End of story...
I appreciate the response. I was thinking of having someone Tig it up for me. How do you think the piece will take to bending; I'm thinking it'll be brittle and may break as I try to bend...your thoughts?

"Bald men rule!"
post #6 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM

Clearly, having someone make a piece with the desired curve will do the job but
what is the cost of a new one in case you break the old? Is the original a two dimensional shape?

In terms of partially cutting it, bending and then coming back over it with weld material- when
done you can always file and sand it back to perfection and then have it powder coated... if
the part is not too expensive to re-buy in case it looks like crap when finished...????
post #7 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Clearly, having someone make a piece with the desired curve will do the job but
what is the cost of a new one in case you break the old? Is the original a two dimensional shape?

In terms of partially cutting it, bending and then coming back over it with weld material- when
done you can always file and sand it back to perfection and then have it powder coated... if
the part is not too expensive to re-buy in case it looks like crap when finished...????
I'm an old sheet-metal man and I've given this project good thought already. I spoke with a welder and he assured me that he can do the welding. You're spot on with the process, I'll cut in the appropriate places, we'll heat it up to help with bending and weld it back together. I'm really taking a chance because I'm not going to buy anything but work on the original piece. I'm very good with working with aluminum it's just that I haven't welded in years and I don't have a welder. I'm quite confident that this'll work out fine. Wish me luck!

"Bald men rule!"
post #8 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quite clearly you have little or no experience welding aluminum. On a part like this you'll find out when you start welding. It may weld beautifully or it may be a swiss cheese and dirt mix. Hopefully it's a weldable alloy.
MVA likes this.

Function not Fluff
post #9 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Quite clearly you have little or no experience welding aluminum. On a part like this you'll find out when you start welding. It may weld beautifully or it may be a swiss cheese and dirt mix. Hopefully it's a weldable alloy.
JohnT, I'm betting it all on this because I plan on pulling the part off of the bike and "do it up." The welder told me he has a dirt bike background and that he has a lot of experience doing this very same mod. Maybe we could do a test pass and see what happens, if it blows up we'll know before any real damage is done. Thanks for making me think of another option.

"Bald men rule!"
post #10 of 18 Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM

John T:

Before you throw around accusations about metallurgy, I suggest
you investigate BMW's metal specs-
Suggesting that both I know nothing and that BMW uses poor alloys
is both wrong and not part of the spirit of this website. That
kind of trash talk belongs in the alley.
As for me, I have over 30 years of metal and fabrication experience-
You my friend sound like a backyard hack...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page