BMW NineT Forum banner

Changing seat color (with paint)

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bill88 
#1 ·
The rear seat of my brother's car had a rather large purple stain from a melted crayon in the tan pleather. I tried every cleaner and solvent known to man to get it out, but the best I could do was get it reduced to a rather large light purple stain. Before I started referring him to a place to have it reupholstered (which I assume would have cost a fair amount), I looked into ways of maybe concealing the stain. I came across a company called ColorBond that makes a leather/vinyl paint for automotive and marine use. They conveniently have color matching formulas for nearly all major manufacturers.

The product worked brilliantly. It matched the existing color flawlessly, and the seat looks like new again. At $16 a can, I couldn't have been happier. Anyway, I after seeing the results I thought this option might be attractive for members on this forum looking to customize their stock seat or third party seat - or even to conceal wear/scratches while keeping the same color. It would be especially convenient if you already know of a color you'd like to match (i.e., the brown interior of your '08 Porsche) then you can just find that color by the VIN with their search tool.

It is pretty cool stuff, and I always like to share success with a product when I can. I hope it can come to some use for a ninetowner look for a custom look.

Car Restoration Paint | Interior & Exterior Auto Paint | ColorBond

See less See more
#3 ·
Unfortunately, I didn't take any before shots, since I wasn't planning on making any online testimonials :) I did take some after shots to send to my brother. The stain was confined to the perforated portion of the seat. I was initially concerned about two things with the product. 1.) That it would fill the perforated holes in the seat, and 2.) that it wouldn't be an exact match - both of which would have forced me to paint the entirety of the seat - and possibly the other side as well - to account for the potential mismatch. The color/finish was so exact, I only had to apply to the stain itself - which I did with two coats. Since I have so much leftover (I purchased two cans) I'm looking for another project to use it on - I'll take before and after pics if I do.

Attachments

#4 ·
Well color me shocked. I can't believe that is paint!!

This could give me the red seat on my RNT that I've wanted, and if I don't like it...go back to black. Of course, that doesn't help me with the stitching.

#7 ·
Hi I used "Valspar" here in the states has a great spray paint type for marine grade paint for seats made of anything Vinal or leather or plastic etc.
I once use it and it really made a diffference and I was really surprised that the paint worked.

So this other brand probably works too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.