Rizoma Fly Screen Installation - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spoon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Rizoma Fly Screen Installation

Screen arrived today. Went to install and noticed the instructions are in Italian!

Its only a few steps and there are pics. But I want to be sure. I use the stock fork Torque screws and simply add a the washer to fix the mounting bracket? If I use the stock screws then what are the black screws for?

I couldn't find a youtube video so I thought I would ask here.

Previous Bikes:
Kaw ZX6R
Aprilia RSVR1000
HD Night Train

Cars:
15' Lexus GX460
13' MB E350 Bluetec
11' Alpina B7
68' Charger
15' Lambo Huracan
16' R9
post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
Screen arrived today. Went to install and noticed the instructions are in Italian!

Its only a few steps and there are pics. But I want to be sure. I use the stock fork Torque screws and simply add a the washer to fix the mounting bracket? If I use the stock screws then what are the black screws for?

I couldn't find a youtube video so I thought I would ask here.
The black screws are for the flyscreen, there should be 4 of them.

"Bald men rule!"
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Negative. The screen already has screws innit. I am just wondering if the long screws in the bag are to attach the bracket or if I use factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481_1492657599853.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	77170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482_1492657615356.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	77178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483_1492657634373.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	77186  

post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
Negative. The screen already has screws innit. I am just wondering if the long screws in the bag are to attach the bracket or if I use factory.
Evoking, after looking at your pics you're right. I didn't use the bolts that were supplied because they were too short. I have a totally different bolt with some washers as spacers holding my fly screen on. I can't remember what my train of thought was though.

"Bald men rule!"
post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 AM

Garage

The long bolts in the bag are needed because the fitting of the screen effectively shortens the bite of the OEM bolts in the top yoke on the forks. You should have two small metal inserts to fill the holes where the head of the OEM bolts would be, then bracket, washer, new Rizoma bolt. I didn't want to replace the OEM bolts either so went to BMW to get longer ones but they couldn't find any.

Last edited by Jungle; 04-20-2017 at 12:45 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle View Post
The long bolts in the bag are needed because the fitting of the screen effectively shortens the bite of the OEM bolts in the top yoke on the forks. You should have two small metal inserts to fill the holes where the head of the OEM bolts would be, then bracket, washer, new Rizoma bolt. I didn't want to replace the OEM bolts either so went to BMW to get longer ones but they couldn't find any.
Jungle, I did the same thing you did. I went to the dealership to find longer bolts and they didn't have it so I went to the hardware and bought some which were a tad bit on the long side, hence the washers for spacers. As I think through this shouldn't there be some small allen head bolts with nylock nuts that attach the flyscreen to the mounting bracket. There should be four of those. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jungle likes this.

"Bald men rule!"
post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM

Garage
I would send you pics of my setup but am offshore guys.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Jungle, I did the same thing you did. I went to the dealership to find longer bolts and they didn't have it so I went to the hardware and bought some which were a tad bit on the long side, hence the washers for spacers. As I think through this shouldn't there be some small allen head bolts with nylock nuts that attach the flyscreen to the mounting bracket. There should be four of those. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah the OEM are Allen bolts which the heads disappear into the fork yoke. I got 2 small cylindrical metal infills to fill the space where the head of this bolt would normally be. This means that you now have a flat surface to sit the screen bracket against, then a washer to stop the screen working the new flat head bolt loose. I used some blue (medium) threadlock too just to be on the safe side. The only reason I went to BMW is because I wanted to be sure of the quality of the new bolts. Have used the ones sent though and have had no issues in about a thousand miles last month.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Garage

I can see the cylindrical pieces in the pics there guys. In the top left of the bag, just half under the washer. Pop that in the hole, butt the screen mount up to it, pop the washer onto the new flat head bolt which I can also see in the bag and then put the bolt through the whole lot. Torque it up but before you do remember the threadlock. The OEM threadlock was red by the way but the bolts weren't even very tight so you may ALL want to check those bolts just for fun.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page