User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MotoMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Racer Cowl on the original 9T

Hi everyone,
It has been a long time since I posted on the forum.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to modified the racer cowl or planning to so it can fit the original 9T.

I was so disappointed when I confirmed recently with my dealer that Bmw is not planing to release it as a part.

I am aware of the difference on the front part of the frame between the two bikes but I have found a good welder and I am thinking of pulling a one off mod.

Would be good to share ideas if anyone is also planning to do it.

Best Regards,
G
post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Garage
I think the fork tubes are the racer are something like 43mm and the 9T's is 46mm. So thats one thing you would probably have to fab up.

Haulbikes.com SUCKS - Beware

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I think the fork tubes are the racer are something like 43mm and the 9T's is 46mm. So thats one thing you would probably have to fab up.
I really don't think the main issue is the fork size. The fairing main mounting point is located on the head tube. A welded mounting point for the fairing bracket is located just forward of where the Vin badge used to be. On the racer version the badge is removed.

Unfortunately, the cost of the conversion is pretty high. BMW fairing parts alone total over $2000 and then there is the cost of the clip ons. On top of all that the BMW fairing is pretty small in size. The stock original gauge pack may end up being a little too big to use so something like the digital Motogadget gauges might be needed to make the conversion work.
MotoGoogler likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Agree with @MotoMike. Also it might also depend on the spacing of the fork tubes as well - if the racer forks are narrower (or wider) than the classic 9T then the nose fairing holes might not line up correctly.

Also agree about the standard clocks not fitting, motogadget is really the only easy option at present. Also the cost of the fairing brand new from BMW would be silly money, so might only make sense if you waited for used one to come up for sale.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 PM

Fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to modified the racer cowl or planning to so it can fit the original 9T.

I was so disappointed when I confirmed recently with my dealer that Bmw is not planing to release it as a part.

I am aware of the difference on the front part of the frame between the two bikes but I have found a good welder and I am thinking of pulling a one off mod.

Best Regards,
G
Slightly off topic but do you like the Daytona fairing? If so there is one available on a well known auction site at the moment. If i had seen it before i bought my Givi i would have jumped at it. It's unpainted but still a great price on a BIN.

Always expect the unexpected
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Hi everyone,

Best Regards,
G
I think this would be feasible. Iīm fantasising about having a bolt on bracket fabricated myself but havenīt pursued it beyond the dream stage.

I had some parts quoted up:

46 63 8 560 228 Headlight cover EUR 74.81
46 63 8 359 995 Lateral trim panel, left EUR 206.60
46 63 8 359 996 Lateral trim panel, right EUR 206.60
46 63 8 558 745 Front panel carrier, center EUR 272.76
46 63 8 558 746 Windshield EUR 140.50

These are the major parts of the fairing, prices above are without tax. Where I live the tax is 21% and the above prices end up with EUR 1090 incl tax. You still need some other smaller parts of course.

BMW put upside down forks themselves on the racer http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/bmw...tml#post700362

Some more info on fitting the fairing here http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/bmw...tml#post719121

03/2014 BMW R nineT w/heated grips & alarm
Mods:

| Remus flapperectomy pipe |
| Rizoma Club front indicators |
|
| AC Schnitzer front fluid covers
Painted:
Tail hump BMW M46 black-storm metallic | Cylinder heads BMW 668 schwarz uni/Klarlack seidenmatt | OEM exhaust hanger BMW 121 KTL schwarz matt
post #7 of 7 Old 04-25-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the great replies. For now it seems close to impossible to fit it on the current 90 and possible safety issues arise too. I guess not much point if hoping we will ever see this cowl sold as a part for the other 90s.

Thank you so much for replying

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page