Daedalus vs FBT Tail Tidy? - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Daedalus vs FBT Tail Tidy?

Ok guys I feel like my head is going to explode with all the reviews, write ups, and install videos I've watched on the tail tidy mod.

I think it's between the Daedalus and the FBT tidy. But I need a few more opinions. My new Pure have been in my garage for 48 hours so $$ is a bit tight. Want to make sure I spend money on quality mods. Plus, as the Pure only has the two up seat, it needs to look good and fit on a non-cowl seat.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #2 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 04:19 AM

I own the FBT, but the Daedalus
post #3 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 04:53 AM

I also have the FBT. It looks good but I don't think is particularly well made / thought out. I use the FBT number plate mount - there's no reflector fitted (if your legislation requires one), the indicator bracket is too narrow (my Rizoma Club indicators were hidden by an already smaller than standard plate before I bought some spacers / collets off ebay and even now only just clear the plate), and the white illuminating light is suggested to be fitted to the "rubber strap" already on your bike, if you want it hidden. It's a flat surface you're attaching to a curved surface, which is just a bit 'gash'. Finally, one end of the led strip droops slightly - it's only a mm or so out, but I can see it. It's been glued slightly incorrectly.

Nice, but crazy money and rushed imo.

Brushed ali tank, Remus cat-less headers, Flap delete, Booster Plug, UG low mount exhaust bracket, FBT tail tidy, Rizoma Club indicators...

post #4 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 AM

Motobox is another option, and is very well made imo. Not to confuse your further ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 AM

I mean Buy the Daedalus

The soldering on the FBT is agricultural at best, I've repaired / rebuilt mine twice now.

The Daedalus looks like a solidly engineered product and if it was available, at a more competitive price point in the U.K. (Exchange rates, shipping etc) I'd ditch my FBT and go for that.

FBT is ok don't get me wrong, but the standard of the soldering etc leaves a lot to be desired. I do however like their undertray and indicator bracket that they include.

If you are in the US, the Daedalus is probably a no brainer.

Sorry for the earlier typo, fat fingers and phones don't mix.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
@i.weber, there is no doubt that the Daedalus item is a high quality piece of kit and if you can financially stretch to it, Daedalus is well worth considering. Their after-sales service seems top-notch too.

I can't comment on FBT though again many people on here have fitted them and seem happy enough.

Also consider Motobox, they were first to production on this forum and produce a nice item that works very well with the tail hump and pillion seat. They also have options for having separate or integrated indicators (which the others have too, I believe). Not as expensive as Daedalus if money is tight. There were a couple of teething issues which early adopters (like me) were faced with such as poor stop light performance (not much brighter than the tail light) and bolts that corroded. However Motobox say that these issues were resolved with updated wiring and stainless fasteners. Certainly I've always had first-rate service from Motobox (nice friendly bunch of guys) and they sent me a free fix for the light issue and I simply had to pay for the shipping. Even got a helpful install guide. The light now works brilliantly and now when you brake, the stop light is very noticeable.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)

Last edited by BaldyDave; 05-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Garage
Buy the Daedalus; hands down it is the best looking unit out there. It is made out of billet aluminum with machine polished chamfered edges which add a bit of bling when you view it. This is a solid piece!

"Bald men rule!"
post #8 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Garage
I have FBT. it is cheaper price and materials. But not a POS. If you can afford the daedalus I say do it.

Haulbikes.com SUCKS - Beware

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM

+1 for the Daedalus.

I was in the same boat as you a year ago, trying to decide between Motobox / FBT / Daedalus. I did a TON of research, I'm super anal when it comes to these things, and was really tempted to get the FBT due to its cheaper price.

I ended up getting the Daedalus and was blown away. It exudes quality and top-notch finishing. Even the box it was delivered it in was custom designed for the product and had the company's colors and logo beautifully displayed. Not that the box is a big deal, but it shows the commitment and pride that these guys have in their company and product.

I finally got to check out a FBT a few months ago at Alice's on Skyline, looked pretty cheap IMO and the owner said he wished the Daedalus was out when he got his FBT.

Anyways, just my 2 cents having seen both in the flesh. Good luck dude.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM

AND yet another option:

New Rage Cycles.

Really bright and tucks plate (US, not sure about EURO plate) under tail. Wasn't sure about it at first but looks great in person.

On 2017 Models however your dealer will have to reflash ECU/CANBUS to LED option so no faults will be displayed and blink rate will be normal (as I'm running Rizoma Club up on Front indicators). Went this route as opposed to playing resistor/voltage guessing route.

Daedalus looks nice but for that price, I'd rather have an exhaust. Friend has FBT and his broke apart, look/felt very flimsy.

Last two photos are from online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170519_153446_1495226454760.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	78922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170519_163711_1495230009340.png
Views:	113
Size:	619.8 KB
ID:	78930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170519_163851_1495230017521.png
Views:	100
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	78938  

Last edited by TX R nine T; 05-19-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page