Customising - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Customising

I won't be.
OK I may add a hugger, but that's about it.
I've seen too many examples (even here), of perfectly good motorcycles being ruined with the addition of cheap looking over priced TAT.
I've done it myself to other bikes and always regretted it.
I guess I'm alone in this view, but I think all the variants of the 9T look great out of the box.
post #2 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 PM

thanks for letting us know hahah
huntsman and Jungle like this.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@andys Your general point has merit, I've seen some perfectly good bikes ruined, and others turned into things of beauty - in my opinion.... However there is the thing - it's only my opinion. What I might find cheap and nasty another might find cool.

I guess its each to their own, but the main thing is to have no regrets over what you've done to your bike and to personally love your mods.... If you look at it and regret it, then start worrying, or even better resolve the issue.

The thing I like about this forum is the wide variety of opinions and approaches to owning the 9T family of bikes. You get everything from owners that are happy to run the bike straight from the crate, right through to others that rip the bike apart and modify/replace to their heart's content.

It'd be boring if we were all the same, and this forum would be a lot less interesting.

Variety is the spice of life, say I.....
Karamazov, pettefar, kebo and 5 others like this.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)

Last edited by BaldyDave; 05-17-2017 at 06:45 PM.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 06:14 PM

So I'm guessing you're the other one of (now) TWO blokes who arrived on earth 'looking great out of the box', no further enhancements needed? Why don't you also tell us what that feels like ...
hehe lol
Jungle likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
*sigh* lets keep this respectful gents......

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #6 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The words "Cafe Racer" go hand in hand with customising back to the 50s and 60s, where we took standard bikes and stripped them down to bare essentials and make them our own. If you consider a R9t as a Cafe Racer as most do, you will want to personalise it too.
Each to there own.
Jungle likes this.

2014 RnineT rebuilt/2010 VFR1200 custom(sold)/2009 MV 312 RR 1078
post #7 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
I won't be.
OK I may add a hugger, but that's about it.
I've seen too many examples (even here), of perfectly good motorcycles being ruined with the addition of cheap looking over priced TAT.
I've done it myself to other bikes and always regretted it.
I guess I'm alone in this view, but I think all the variants of the 9T look great out of the box.

With just one exception ($12 roundel added on a frame hole) all my mods were to make the bike either fit me (e.g., bars) or add capability (e.g., bags and suspension).

Don't regret any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R9Tony likes this.

1980 Honda CB650, 1997 Honda CB900, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2010 VTR 250, 2016 BMW R9T
post #8 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
The words "Cafe Racer" go hand in hand with customising back to the 50s and 60s, where we took standard bikes and stripped them down to bare essentials and make them our own. If you consider a R9t as a Cafe Racer as most do, you will want to personalise it too.
Each to there own.

If you know anything about the Café Racer scene back then, you'll know that the it was comprised mainly of young Men, a lot of them recently demobbed, living on the breadline buying ex service bikes, and old shitters, and turning them into racing bikes by begging, borrowing, and yes stealing whatever they could.
For us to spend upwards of 12 grand on state of the art BMW's that those guys would never had a hope of being able to afford, and describing them as Café Racers just like theirs, I think is frankly insulting to their memory.
That's why I can never see the 9T as a Café Racer in the true sense, because it isn't and a lot of people who know the scene and lived it back then, would laugh at the audacity.
My bike is a retro sports bike, designed to replicate sportsters of the 70's.
It has nothing to do with what was around 20 years before.
Perhaps that's why BMW don't actually use the words Café Racer together in any of their advertising literature.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 PM

I think it also comes down to how you ride the bike, both in riding style and type of riding (slab, city, twisties, track, admiring from coffee shop, etc.). For me, the vast majority of my riding is in the twisties, with the occasional slab session to get to good roads or for the infrequent weekend getaways. As a result, I desired modifications to improve my primary usage, which involves better handling characteristics and more aggressive riding position for better weight distribution. With the less than stellar suspension and heavy wheels, as well as the too upright riding position, I realized that to have the bike I really wanted, customization was necessary. But if I used the bike differently, those things may not have been such a necessity. I think that's what makes the 9T great, and ultimately why I picked it over something like a Ducati monster, is that you can easily (maybe less so for the wallet) transform this bike to fit such a wide range of purposes. Just my two cents, for whatever that is worth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 24 Old 05-18-2017, 02:59 AM

Cafe' Racer ?

The Cafe' Racer scene wasn't that long ago and I believe it has its origins in Europe. A low slung bike with a lay down seating & handle bar arrangement, small seat with a bump at the back, short or no fenders and sometimes a small fairing to keep the cigarette lit. They got the designation "Cafe' Racer" because the owners / riders would race from one cafe' to the next looking for the crowd and cheap drink.

These days and a few years back we or I called them "Bar Hoppers" which were usually an American made V-Twin that was loud, flashy and sometimes cost a ton of cash or credit just to get it running and on the road.

The lightened, chopped, stripped, low cost and sometimes equipped with stolen parts bikes of the 60s were called "Scramblers". You would cut the exhaust and fenders off, remove the none essential lighting and throw on a set of "trials" type tires and go out in the woods.

Today the standard R 9T would be more of a "naked bike" with potential to be a "retro cruiser", "cafe' replica", "scrambler" or just about anything you want it to be. After this modification will be called "None essential enhancement" of a motorcycle.

Now a-days $12,000 + a few $$$ for tax and set up isn't that much for most people with a job and some stability in their life and to describe the R 9T as "state of the art" is frankly a little insulting to the numerous individuals who throw down a lot more cash ($25,000 plus) for a BMW that really is "State of the art" and proves that point every time they swing their leg over the seat, hit the starter and take a 1,500 mile ride around the block without worry or second thought. How many $28,000 1600 GTL owners out there would love to have an R 9T just to run around town and do errands. How about the suckers that shelled out $26,000 for a water boxer GSA only to find out that crappy little naked bike over there in the corner is "state of the art" material.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page