Why so many very low milage bikes coming up for sale? - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Why so many very low milage bikes coming up for sale?

Good morning all,
I've ordered myself a R9T a few weeks ago and I'm due to take delivery of it in another couple of weeks(UK) I've been looking at the second hand market quite a bit recently and noticed that quite a few have come up for sale, but more concerning is the fact that so many of them seem to be barely run in?? Not just dealers but private sellers too?

So although I'm very much excited about getting my own bike. I'm also wondering if there is a fundmental issue with the bike, like comfort, or range, or low speed drivability etc.

6-9 months ago you just couldnt't get one. It just seems so odd that so many would be selling after so few miles? I'm interested in anyone else's views on this.

I guess what I'm getting at really is, possibly the bike hasn't lived up to the expectations for most owners. And so after a few miles and a few months when the initial attraction wears off, the bikes go up for sale?

Thanks all and great forum,
All the best,
Matt

Last edited by Matt B; 05-18-2015 at 07:27 AM.
post #2 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 AM

Location: San Miguel de Allende; San Antonio, TX; Chester, MD
I can't answer the question though i took advantage of the situation. I was offered a 9T with less than 1k miles and about 2k USD worth of accessories last month at a really good price. Since I think the bike looks great, I took the owner up on the offer and bought the bike.

In the back of my mind, of course, is exactly the same question...why would someone sell a (fairly) expensive bike after so few miles. He raved about the bike and had only good things to say about it. When I asked him why he was selling it, his response was that he had just purchased two new BMWs, the 9 and one of the big tourers (I don't recall the model) and his wife allegedly said he had to get rid of one of them. I don't know if I buy the "wife" thing, it's such a an overworked "reason" used to explain why someone is selling...

Maybe it just didn't suit his riding style. In any case, I guess I'll find that either I like it a lot and will keep it (as I expect to) OR someone else well get an opportunity to buy it soon!

I will admit that there seem to be a lot of complaints on this site about many aspects of the bike so perhaps he felt the same way. I bought it from him because I think it looks neat. It's my first BMW and my first new non-sportbike in more years than I care to remember...
Matt B likes this.
post #3 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM

I got mine when it had 350 miles on it from a 70 something year old. 9 months later I've put 9k miles on it and I'm never selling it.

Probably didn't help that the air pressures were way low and the forks were not in the right place in their mounts and the rear shock wasn't set up right, the bike rode weird for those first couple hours before it occurred to me to start checking everything, bike felt totally different once I fixed it all.

People do weird things, they get bored, get busy, stuff comes up that forces them to sell, etc. Plus this is likely to be a second bike for a lot of guys so naturally the miles will be lower.

There's nothing majorly wrong with the bike, it's a dream down low in the revs compared to every other twin I've ridden, poodles around town perfectly, handles well, goes like stink when you open it up.

The best two mods you can do are suspension (ohlins fork cartridges or the full set) and getting a catless header and boosterplug. They made a big difference in my enjoyment of the bike. I changed the handlebar and brake master cylinder as well, I'd rank them right behind those first two. This is a bike to be modded, for sure. Make it your own and you'll enjoy it far more in my opinion.

Honestly though, I've been leisurely watching ebay and craigslist for used 9T's out of curiosity and not many have shown up here in the states in the past few months. Like, maybe 3 or 4.
Matt B likes this.

Last edited by tofur; 05-18-2015 at 08:51 AM.

post #4 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 08:59 AM

Hey Matt,

I've had mine for a year now ,and if it's possible I like my bike more and more each day, having said that I can see how someone would fall in love with the bike just by the looks of it and even a short demo ride and then realize it's not the bike for them.

The Nine T is a purists bike, it's a riders bike if you are looking for comfort it's not, I'm not saying it's uncomfortable but if you are used to leaning back with support for you and your partner, this is not for you.

The performance and handling is there at all speeds, the sound is great in any and all possible configurations, which is another aspect that makes the bike wonderful, endless options to make a very personal expression.
I'm 54 now and had my first bike when I was 16, if I had to pick 1 bike as my favorite it would be the R Nine T !
The only true important factor is whether you are confortable and happy in it, which I hope you will be, if not......no worries plenty of other quality options out there, safe riding and cheers !!
post #5 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi @Matt B

There's no definitive answer to this I'm afraid. The R nineT is just as reliable as any other boxer out there (meaning very good) and it handles and goes a dream.

Folk can be funny. Some are convinced by it's looks, then find out that it isn't a natural tourer. Some folk compare it to the latest sports bikes (which it isn't either), or some folk just don't fit the bike... Then you have other folk that follow fashion trends and/or have more money than sense..... That'll just be some of the reasons, I'm sure....

If you are realistic in your expectations of the 9T, you won't be disappointed. I love mine!

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #6 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 09:14 AM

Funny, as I was going to start a similar thread. There are 2-3 Used with very low miles on them within 50 miles. To throw a dart @ your question, R9T's are expensive and the modding is pricey. In the realm of options, they are impractical, and lastly use tubed tires.
2C

'Welcome to the Church of the open field, let us Prey!'
post #7 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCobra View Post
R9T's are expensive and the modding is pricey. In the realm of options, they are impractical, and lastly use tubed tires.
2C
And may not really be what the buyer expected. I can tell you about expensive, mines' turned into a money funnel. R1200R wheels, Ohlins suspension, catless header and a Bren Tuning ECU re-flash, but what I have is a very competent (and very subtle) naked sport bike that wears a tux. It's everything I thought it could be when I bought it but I can see where it may not be what many were expecting.
Karamazov, BaldyDave and FatCobra like this.
post #8 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCobra View Post
Funny, as I was going to start a similar thread. There are 2-3 Used with very low miles on them within 50 miles. To throw a dart @ your question, R9T's are expensive and the modding is pricey. In the realm of options, they are impractical, and lastly use tubed tires.
2C
I understand the complaint about tubed tyres on a high-end bike, but to be honest (and no disrespect to anyone intended) but I walked into buying the 9T with eyes wide open and knew that tubes came as part of the deal.... You either accept that the bike needs modded, put up with the tubes or walk away from the bike.

Perhaps other folk don't do their research (and as I said before) don't understand exactly what they are buying, and this causes them to trade the bike in or sell it on with hardly any miles under the wheels.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #9 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the replies guys, it's much appriciated.

I myself am maybe slightly unusual? In that I own an S1000RR and a HD Bobber. I've had many different bikes over the years, as have most of you. And I've loved each one for different reasons. I've always had sports/track bike, and then another for street riding and just general use.

Most HD types hate Sport bike riders, and vice versa. I've no idea why, I love all bikes myself. Even if I possibly wouldn't buy each bike I see.

I was just a little concerened with the R9T as so many that are up for sale seem such low milages. Seems odd to sell a bike before it's even run in, or you've gotten used to riding it. I'm sure I'll love the R9T, it's the bike I've been waiting for years for BMW to build. A real world capable bike, that looks as cool as any custom or HD you might see.

As for the cost and the money pit of upgrades and modifications, this is the highlight of the bike for me. I'm very well used to it, thanks to my 48 Bobber. So I shall look forward to getting my new bike on the 27th, and hope the weather is kind to me on the first weekend!

Cheers all and ride safe!
post #10 of 106 Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
As for the cost and the money pit of upgrades and modifications, this is the highlight of the bike for me.
Can't say I'd call it a "highlight" but the results were well worth the expenditure(s).
FatCobra, Matt B and Stefano like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page