Things you DO NOT LIKE about nine T... - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Things you DO NOT LIKE about nine T...

I only have 300km on the bike, not even 'run in' yet but what are the things you guys dislike about your nine T or think...why did they do that....

I know its design is retro, fully customisable bike, completely different to say the R1200R...

so here goes:

Previous bike=S1000RR... I was spoilt by quick shifter, slipper clutch and 3 modes...

1) why tubed tire??

2) whats with the INFO display? Fuel flow....really??
why not Eng temp, remaining distance.

3) no adjustable fork? surely if they are catering for 1 up or 2 up with adjustable Shock, then forks should be adjustable. Can the forks deal with 1 up at 80kg vs 2 up at 160kg at its default setting?

4) the fixed mirrors..... it would be nice to be able to fold the mirrors, whether it be for parking, getting into tight spaces.

Initially I was interested in R1200R 2015 vs the Nine T, two very different bikes and uses I know, but I'm thinking, if they can put so much tech into the R1200R for the same price, surely my above 4 points is next to zero cost, expect the tubeless tire/wheel....adjustable Forks, a hinge on the mirrors and software for the INFO.

I guess its just sales tactic which every other brand does.
mudguards, rearsets, levers, mirrors, suspensions, wheels....are all upgradable.

Time to go for a ride, yes, I do really like the bike
post #2 of 89 Old 11-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Garage
My personal disappointments (which I have since rectified expensively):

- tubed tyres - Kineo upgrade
- suspension - Ohlins upgrade

Those were pretty poor OEM options considering the price of the bike. The rest, I think I have been pretty happy with, as making it your own is always one of the fun parts about getting a new ride.
JoTR likes this.
post #3 of 89 Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 PM

Garage
The info display is a bit annoying and i agree it would have been better to have other options but i guess i can live with it.

Upgrading suspension will probably be my next choice as I've pretty much finished with the cosmetics.

But my pet grumble is with the rear ABS as i feel it comes in too early, especially when riding a bit harder than normal, i'd like to be able to turn the thing off.

I have a track day next weekend so will get to test it out properly and see if it is as annoying on the track as it is on the road (the shudder is distracting - thats my only complaint - feeling it start to activate and thinking I'm not even braking that hard yet).

post #4 of 89 Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasNineT View Post
The info display is a bit annoying and i agree it would have been better to have other options but i guess i can live with it.

Upgrading suspension will probably be my next choice as I've pretty much finished with the cosmetics.

But my pet grumble is with the rear ABS as i feel it comes in too early, especially when riding a bit harder than normal, i'd like to be able to turn the thing off.

I have a track day next weekend so will get to test it out properly and see if it is as annoying on the track as it is on the road (the shudder is distracting - thats my only complaint - feeling it start to activate and thinking I'm not even braking that hard yet).
Dont use the rear brake then....ABS wont kick in
The front brakes have plenty of stopping power on its own....and on track I never touched the rear brake (potential highside)

Think the only time i use the rear is when lane splitting at very slow speeds, to keep balance

2015 BMW R nineT
2013 Ducati Hypermotard 821
2010 Yamaha WR250X
1994 KTM SX 125
1994 Kawasaki KDX 250
1993 Yamaha TZR 125

Last edited by filtered; 11-11-2015 at 01:02 AM.
post #5 of 89 Old 11-11-2015, 01:49 AM

Garage
I too was between the R1200R and the R nine T... I picked the R nine T for something "different". My previous bike was the R1200GS.

Things I miss / expected to see on this bike:
- Fuel gage
- Linked brakes
- Heated grips
- Tubeless tyres
- Seat removal w/o tools

Things I don't particularly like:
- Steering damper

Things I love:
- Riding
- Riding
- Riding
- The looks I get whilst riding

Overall, I'm happy, and I get happier every time I ride it.

I take to the open road, healthy, free, the world before me. ~ Walt Whitman

2015 BMW R nine T
2007 BMW R1200GS
2004 Honda VFR800
1989 Honda CBR600 Hurricane
post #6 of 89 Old 11-11-2015, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Only big dislike I had was knowing I was signing up for a bike with tubed tyres, since rectified with an Alpina tubeless wheel upgrade.

Minor gripes are:

Stock mirrors that gave a great view of shoulders and look pants. Bar end mirrors to the rescue!

The diving board rear end (rectified by a Motobox kit).

Embarrassing horn! lol

No centre stand.

All of this is/was a minor irritation really. I love my bike and think it's the best bike BMW have produced in years.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #7 of 89 Old 11-11-2015, 02:41 AM

Been discussed to death, but IMO a for a premium motorcycle it should have had:
- Tubeless wheels
- Oil temp gauge
- Fuel gauge
- Aluminum gauge cluster
- Adjustable front suspension
- Seat hump included

Remus Headers, Kineo wheels, Matris Suspension, BoosterPlug, Rizoma+

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420
post #8 of 89 Old 11-11-2015, 03:28 AM

Things you DO NOT LIKE about nine T

I love my bike, it's one of those that you just can look at and appreciate, rather than taking the key out and just walking away. But...

1. Rear Brake ABS - By a long margin, my number 1 hate, so so intrusive to hard road riding, Most times I feel it almost makes the back brake redundant and that isn't how I ride, you may, I don't...
  2. Non-adjustable suspension, especially front forks, would it really have cost BMW that much money to leave it on the RR forks ?
  3. Tubed tyres - I knew this beforehand, but I'd rather have had tubeless, no idea what I'll do if I get a puncture out on a ride..
That's it for me, no.2 will be rectified in 5 weeks times, so that just leaves 1. and 3. and little option on the former I think

Marky Mark
post #9 of 89 Old 11-11-2015, 04:10 AM

Worst:
-Ergonomics
-Suspension
-Tail

Minor:
-Seat removal
-No room for tools
post #10 of 89 Old 11-11-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristir View Post
I too was between the R1200R and the R nine T.......

- Seat removal w/o tools
yea, one thing I missed out.....rear seat with a tool??....what is with that????
so I put the toolkit or part of it under the seat, eg a screw driver for the 1up to 2 up damper on the Shock, I need to carry a tool/key to open it?? seriously? haha

Last edited by Boshk; 11-11-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page