R9T v R1200R - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
R9T v R1200R

I am really struggling with the riding position of the 9T, really love the bike but it is causing me serious problems with my knees and hips. I am getting on a bit over 60 and am riding the bike less and less and am taking delivery of a new Super Tenere on Thursday. I use this for serious mileage (it will be my 3rd Super 10) with no problems. I use the 9T for rides out with the lads generally 120 -180 miles. I have fitted the Wunderlich bar risers with no difference. I love the boxer engine and the overall look of the bike, it's only my second BMW, I had a Boxer Cup a good few years ago. I was wondering if the R1200R would unstretch my legs a bit.
drotor likes this.
post #2 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaAl View Post
I am really struggling with the riding position of the 9T, really love the bike but it is causing me serious problems with my knees and hips. I am getting on a bit over 60 and am riding the bike less and less and am taking delivery of a new Super Tenere on Thursday. I use this for serious mileage (it will be my 3rd Super 10) with no problems. I use the 9T for rides out with the lads generally 120 -180 miles. I have fitted the Wunderlich bar risers with no difference. I love the boxer engine and the overall look of the bike, it's only my second BMW, I had a Boxer Cup a good few years ago. I was wondering if the R1200R would unstretch my legs a bit.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Nothing beats a test ride but this site, cycle ergos lets you visualise your riding position on different bikes. You set your height and leg length and then select bikes. It also lets you modify the bikes with bar risers and peg height adjustments. Then it shows you the "angles" for waist, hip and knee bend.

Fun and seems tolerably accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ced4jets and jigsaw like this.

1980 Honda CB650, 1997 Honda CB900, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2010 VTR 250, 2016 BMW R9T
post #3 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hi,
I've used it, found the site fairly recently. Interesting to compare the 9T to the Super Tenere, no wonder I have no problems with the Yamaha, you couldn't get more upright. The R1200R doesn't look much better which is a surprise.
Alan
drotor likes this.

post #4 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The latest (liquid cooled) R1200R is a little more aggressive than previous versions of the roadster, but would still be a pretty big improvement over the 9T out of the box. The tank length on the 9T and the peg position make changing the ergos more difficult than on the R1200R. You'd see more gains on the R1200R with risers and a peg lowering kit. I had the same issue with my 9T after trying two different risers, I decided it just wasn't doable without seriously affecting the look of the bike.

- N8
post #5 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hi,
I've used it, found the site fairly recently. Interesting to compare the 9T to the Super Tenere, no wonder I have no problems with the Yamaha, you couldn't get more upright. The R1200R doesn't look much better which is a surprise.
Alan
I've found the same problem with the NineT......I installed the Wunderlich foot peg lowering kit, and that helped somewhat.... I agree that the 1200R is almost the same, with seat height to foot peg relationship, I'm looking at a thicker seat option to see if that will make the NineT more comfortable for my frame. I use my 2014 Super Tenere for the long rides and the NineT for the short hops.
drotor likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurryface View Post
I've found the same problem with the NineT......I installed the Wunderlich foot peg lowering kit, and that helped somewhat.... I agree that the 1200R is almost the same, with seat height to foot peg relationship, I'm looking at a thicker seat option to see if that will make the NineT more comfortable for my frame. I use my 2014 Super Tenere for the long rides and the NineT for the short hops.
Yes that is another one of the problems I have, the seat is pretty uncomfortable, I can manage about 10 miles in jeans or textiles but am not too bad in leathers. Our day out rides generally seem to be 120 - 180 miles, living in the North East of England we are close to the Dales, the Lakes and the Borders. I used that ergo thingy with the new Yamaha XSR900 and that looks spacious.
Alan
post #7 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM

Skip the Super Tenere and trade your nineT for an R1200GS.

BMW R nineT
Porsche Cayman Black Edition
post #8 of 25 Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 PM

Garage
that sounds about right
George is right Get a GS !
A GS has that boxer engine that you like and it probably is as comfortable as the tenure or maybe more.

or maybe wait for the new 9T scrambler it is supposed to have that 19 inch wheel different handlebars, and some play to make you more comfortable of an upright standard riding position. but I dont really know I am waiting to see the scrambler too. I am trully awaiting to see what this scrambler and its new accessoires is all about before I start to really Moding out my 9T bike.
I had it for two years and time for tires,and other stuff and if this scrambler actually is a nice surprise to me personally then I go that way, But I am still not sure about a 19 inch wheel for me. I have had them before. and the 9T rides nice and comfort is second :-)
post #9 of 25 Old 08-31-2016, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=Bill88;681098]that sounds about right
George is right Get a GS !
A GS has that boxer engine that you like and it probably is as comfortable as the tenure or maybe more.

The GS is not an option as I am picking up a brand new Tenere tomorrow, I have already done over 40,000 miles on my previous Tenere completely trouble free. The dealer actually had a 2015 second hand GS in with 5,000 miles on the clock, the Alpine model which looked fantastic. All the touring gear from my previous Tenere transfers onto the new bike, three box aluminium luggage system and engine bars. The BMW had no luggage, was 18 months old and the brand new Tenere cost me the same money. I have known three friends with GS's, a very early 1200 model which broke down every time it was ridden, the guy had BMW's all his life and was gutted, he now has a new Guzzi California, the other guy had an 09 model and it was a year old when it broke down on the Isle of Skye on a Scotland tour and had to be recovered, he now has a Triumph Tiger 800. The third guy bought the bike new in 2010 has done about 25,000 trouble free miles and absolutely adores the bike. I have ridden it several times, hated it the first time, hated it less the second time, quite liked it the third time and loved it the fourth time. Sticking with my Tenere at the moment. the bike I have ordered has the electronic suspension, cruise control etc. etc.
Might have a dodge over to the BMW dealer who I don't particularly like and have a sit on the 1200R, I thought the Scrambler model was already out.
Cheers
Alan
post #10 of 25 Old 08-31-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Spencer View Post
Skip the Super Tenere and trade your nineT for an R1200GS.
R1200GS is 'The King'. Others try to copy it and all fall short.
Silverbodgie likes this.

Remus Headers, Kineo wheels, Matris Suspension, BoosterPlug, Rizoma+

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page