9T Vs 2016 Thruxton R - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 163 Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
9T Vs 2016 Thruxton R

Hey, I'm from the UK and have been considering trading in my bike for a RnineT.

my first bike was a Triumph Thruxton. I loved the retro styling but found it heavy and not too thrilling. I decided to sell it and buy a street triple RX which I have now. The bike is really fun, quick and handles well but part of me really misses that retro vibe and customising my bike so i have been considering swapping for an R nine T. I had a test ride today but there was a lot of traffic about so it wasn't the ideal situation for testing it out.

The question is, do I go for it or wait to see what the Thruxton R has to offer.
post #2 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Proper test ride is the key

Only you can answer that question.

The key thing is to get a proper test ride where you can try out the performance and handling of the 9T and see if she is for you or not. If you are a serious back road scratcher, you may find the 9T's suspension isn't up to the task - for general stuff it's fine. The Thruxton R looks like it MAY be better in that respect with top quality suspension, riding modes and traction control

The 9T is more powerful than the old Thruxton, the new Thruxton R (which I think looks great) has a lot more power (possibly around the same as the 9T) but remains an unknown quantity right now. Personally I love the power of the 9T and it is easily quick enough to put a smile on my face.

The 9T isn't the most practical bike, but I'd say it is a bit more usable than the Thruxton. It is at least possible to take a passenger (if that is important to you), can be persuaded to carry luggage and the shaft drive cuts out the hassle of chain maintenance and lube thrown over the rear wheel.

As far as customising the bike, the 9T seems to demand it and most people (at least on this forum) don't keep them standard for long. There are lots of accessories on the market now so there is easily scope for making your bike your own. The Thruxton R seems to already be complete and I'm not too sure there would be very much you could do to it. Perhaps adding tubeless wheels?

If after a better test ride you are still thinking about the Thruxton R, I'd wait till it comes along and take it for a spin.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)

Last edited by BaldyDave; 02-27-2016 at 08:12 AM.
post #3 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 09:43 AM
DrJ

I second BaldyDave's comments, but would add one thought: unless the aesthetics of the Thruxton R appeal to you much more, I would not pass on a BMW boxer engine over anything else for this type of bike. Of course, this is always a personal decision, the boxer engine just nudged me in the NineT's direction, and I haven't looked back.
Alby likes this.

post #4 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Location: Schermoney - SW, where the Mercedeses and Porsches grow!
Garage
I don't think the R9 is a real retro bike. It is customable, but Id guess the T is better in that respect, with the amount of parts from the factory alone...

I have to say, the engine is - for me - the biggest strong point, plus the brakes.

After being modded (Wilbers suspension, front and rear) I love the way the bike handles.

Had the Thruxton R been available when I bought the R9, I doubt Id be a "Beemer" now. (Given that I own a Rocket III and had a Thunderbird 900 and a TR6R before that)
post #5 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Don't buy the 9T...

Unless you like attention. My 9T can be parked in a line of customs and expensive bikes, and it draws the crowds. Believe it or not, even at the BMW dealership on a Sunday ride. It was in front surrounded by the other riders checking it out.

Oh yeah, it's a hoot to ride! There is a lot of character in this bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9T current .JPG
Views:	2582
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	52898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	1882
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	52914  
DrJ and Alby like this.

Last edited by tate; 02-27-2016 at 01:15 PM.
post #6 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
i have a feeling the thruxton R will be heavier than the R9t which puts me off it but i wish more official stats were released about it to compare.
post #7 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 03:42 PM

Because it's Triumph versus BMW, there will probably be test rides available on both. If you're still on the fence after that, start considering other factors. But I'd expect for most folks the test ride will have their heart telling them what to do.

2015 Nine T
Brammo Empulse
post #8 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 04:03 PM

Garage
I went from a 2013 Thruxton to a 2015 R9. I really enjoyed the Thrux but after riding the R9, I have never looked back. I've got over 10,000 miles on my BMW now and I have enjoyed them all!! For a short time I had both bikes in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	2669
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	52930  
Jmenxibar likes this.
post #9 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
For a short time I had both bikes in my garage.

I can do the math on that right now:

1 R9T + 1THRUX = -1 WIFE
post #10 of 163 Old 02-27-2016, 08:12 PM

Nice bike, but doesn't pull on my emotions like the 9T does. Also radiator is an eye sore. Good bit cheaper though, very good proportions, lacks that special uniqueness of the 9T. The 9T just gets so much flattery, where ever I go people perv over it. Simply senastional machine!
Alby likes this.

Remus Headers, Kineo wheels, Matris Suspension, BoosterPlug, Rizoma+

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page