User Tag List

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 03-17-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking Wiring Gadgets on the NineT Thread

As some of us setup our bikes I figured a thread to share what and how we are doing it is order. If it uses power, or a mount than this is the thread to post up how you do it.
The more detail and photos the better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 79 Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I have four things I wired into the bike to get it ready for getting Lost, first would be the GPS. BMW did indeed include the factory GPS plug, zip tied to the frame under the tank under the left side.
Since I don't run a BMW rebranded Garmin unit I just cut the plug and soldered a standard SAE plug that I have on all our bikes so I can move things around easily.

Here's the OEM GPS plug and the finished product, mine just tucks away after making the connection behind the steering head. It's switched on with the ignition and no fuses needed! Thank you CANBUS.

I mounted the Garmin Montana 600 using a
Amazon.com: RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws: Car Electronics Amazon.com: RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws: Car Electronics
, with a 1" RAM arm, putting it centered and not obstructing the view of the gauges. All removable in 1 minute for days I don't need the GPS.

Next up is power for my HPRC hard case on the tail. I removed the BMW accessory outlet, cut the plug off and ran some new wire to the back to another SAE plug which plugs into a panel mount SAE receptacle on my box. Again, switched and fused thanks to BMW.

Here you can see the SAE plug coming from the accessory circuit.

Next up, Gerbings variable heat controller.
This one I wired directly into the battery using the Gerbings harness which has an inline fuse. I routed the harness so the fuse is hanging down in between the battery and the shock to give me access without taking the tank off.
I mounted the controller to the bracket that was used for the BMW outlet, seems to be a good out of the way yet easily reachable position for it. It's attached with 3M Dual lock.

The lead going into the jacket lives in between the tank and seat and can be pulled up when needed.

And finally I installed a standard SAE plug going directly to the battery for charging or jumping the battery ( we carry a 6' SAE to SAE wire with us to jump start if needed). It's also for my Slime Top Up mini air compressor which has a SAE plug soldered on it. (seeing a pattern here?).
I have the tail hanging down on the left side frame, zip tied in place.

I think that's about it for now, so what are YOU going to wire up to your bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #3 of 79 Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Since Thursday you've ridden 600 miles, hung out with an out of work comedian, met up with two members from the forum, performed your 600 mile service, installed multiple luggage configurations for demonstration purposes, wired a GPS, heated clothing connection and controller, USB recharging connection and a multi-function electrical connection, taken photos of all of it and posted it all here.

Get busy man. Life is short. Don't want to waste it.

post #4 of 79 Old 03-17-2014, 11:07 PM

Hey Finn, great post and it was great meeting you and Bonkorama at the Rockstore!
Let's make sure to schedule a ride soon. I just finished my 600 miles today and will schedule the first service with my dealer tomorrow.

As for the electrics... First off, thanks for showing BMW's GPS connector, I had no idea this exists.
I went a slightly simpler route in that I wired Garmin's fused harness directly to the battery for my zümo 550 and another SAE connector also directly to the battery (fused as well). As I use my GPS mainly as my on-board stereo, I also routed a shielded headphone cable extension from the GPS to a location closer to the seat to plug in my headphones.

I am using the wireless HeatTroller for my Gerbing heated gear and I plug the jacket via round-to-SAE adapter into that pigtail. Less cables, cleaner bike was my goal so I did not add the additional cable for the Gerbing harness.
Bonkorama and Lost Rider like this.

Last edited by zugvogel; 03-17-2014 at 11:15 PM.
post #5 of 79 Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
BMW did indeed include the factory GPS plug,
Hi Lost Rider, could you please clarify a couple of things for me.
I spoke to my BMW mechanic about this power outlet.
He scoured all of his literature and advised the following;
  • He is not aware of this plug
  • The schematics only show one accessories outlet, but doesn't differentiate this GPS one from the socket mounted on the LHS
  • He says the one shown on the diagram is only rated at 5v
  • The wiring colours shown are not the ones he remembers on earlier GPS plugs (GS bikes?)
  • He said there was a problem on previous bikes where the power outlet did not automatically shut down after a few minutes; only until the battery was almost drained!
  • The current BMW Garmin units use the automotive lighter socket style plug, not a 'hardwired' plug like you have shown
  • I did want to get a compatible male plug for this outlet so I could keep the wiring stock (I can change to SAE connectors if required)
  • He has known BMW to change items between models and not provide sufficient technical detail
I will be mounting a standard Garmin GPS. It has the lighter socket on the end of the lead, I will change this so I can wire directly in to a controlled outlet such as the one you have shown.

Thanks for your help on this.

Manly, hectic, ample and stylish, the warbling R nineT is total harmony with its plumage.
The dual exhaust creaks every blip ... hearing delight.
post #6 of 79 Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 AM

I have a four button BMW mount coming that I hope will plug into the socket you mention. If not, will plug it into my PDM 60 that I will install. Removing the tank reminds me of my C which required the same. Any particular hints on removing the tank?

Ute's chauffeur
Amici et Iter Super Omnia
post #7 of 79 Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
  • The schematics only show one accessories outlet, but doesn't differentiate this GPS one from the socket mounted on the LHS
  • The wiring colours shown are not the ones he remembers on earlier GPS plugs (GS bikes?)
  • He said there was a problem on previous bikes where the power outlet did not automatically shut down after a few minutes; only until the battery was almost drained!
  • The current BMW Garmin units use the automotive lighter socket style plug, not a 'hardwired' plug like you have shown
  • I did want to get a compatible male plug for this outlet so I could keep the wiring stock (I can change to SAE connectors if required)
  • He has known BMW to change items between models and not provide sufficient technical detail
I will be mounting a standard Garmin GPS. It has the lighter socket on the end of the lead, I will change this so I can wire directly in to a controlled outlet such as the one you have shown.

I've plugged my Zumo 550 with its original can bus lead from my satnav straight into the said fitted connecter on my 9T with no adverse affect ,and it switches on charges and dosnt drain the satnav or the battery when turned off
The plug on my 9T is cable tied from the factory to the frame below the auxiliary socket and I didn't need to remove the tank to retrofit my lead to my nav either so jobs a gooden
Captain likes this.

Don't delay do it today
post #8 of 79 Old 03-21-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post

Like bose said that GPS plug thats been on every BMW we've owned is switched with the ignition, is definitely 12v, ( I put a meter on mine before wiring in) it can be reached without removing the tank (my mistake, I didn't find it until I removed it) and turns off about 3 minutes after you kill the ignition.
Your BMW mechanic doesn't seem very knowledgable.

Here's a plug you could buy to keep the OEM GPS plug if you wanted:
Universal GPS Power Connector, BMW CAN-BUS System - Touratech-USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisincruzan View Post
I have a four button BMW mount coming that I hope will plug into the socket you mention. If not, will plug it into my PDM 60 that I will install. Removing the tank reminds me of my C which required the same. Any particular hints on removing the tank?

Taking the tank off:
The intake cover needs to come off, two bolts then slide it forward, there's a rubber grommet/tab thing that it slides in and out of. remove plastic mask on left side. Remove the two screws holding the plastic piece that the jump start wire lead is connected to , remove the silver brackets, cut the zip tie the holds some connector attached to the tank base, unplug it.
There's a bolt on the lower front of each side and a long one at the rear that secure the tank.

Gently lift tank and slide back, tip the front of the tank up, reach in and disconnect the two quick disconnects, and two electric plugs. The electrical plugs have tabs that need to be released with a little screwdriver. Would be much easier if you had someone to hold the tank up while you disconnected the fuel lines and plugs, I managed to do it without scratching the tank, next time I'll have help.

The tank will lift right off then.

The PDM 60 is an awesome product, have one on my Husaberg, if I decide to add any more electrics, that what I will use.
I didn't snap any pics of the removal, if you have time it probably would help others wanted to remove the tank.
Good luck!

Also, with the tank off I found a good hidden spot to zip tie the charcoal canister valve thingy:

Captain and sir.tooby like this.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-21-2014 at 12:09 PM.
post #9 of 79 Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the tank off steps. I could get to the battery terminal by just tilting the rear of the tank up after removing the rear bolts and loosening the front bolts. Just wanted to attach a ground wire.

Have the Rizoma universal plate holder and aftermarket LED turn signals done. Break time is over so I will now do the P3 lights, ledrider driving lights to a second Skene controller, direct to battery powerlet plug, flash to pass garage door opener and the rear hugger. The only advantage to the miserable continuation of winter; time to tinker without missing out on riding.
Lost Rider likes this.

Ute's chauffeur
Amici et Iter Super Omnia
post #10 of 79 Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberr9t View Post
Since Thursday you've ridden 600 miles, hung out with an out of work comedian, met up with two members from the forum, performed your 600 mile service, installed multiple luggage configurations for demonstration purposes, wired a GPS, heated clothing connection and controller, USB recharging connection and a multi-function electrical connection, taken photos of all of it and posted it all here.

Get busy man. Life is short. Don't want to waste it.
This is why Joe is such a great resource. Nice trailblazing and sharing, as usual.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page