GS-911 Diagnostic Tool - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Post GS-911 Diagnostic Tool

I have started reading up on the GS-911 Diagnostic Tool.
Anyone have one of these or used one in the past?

As much as I like collecting gadgets, will this one pay for itself?
What real world problems can it solve?
Reading error codes is helpful, but don't we get an error explanation in the instrument info panel?

I see it performing the following;
  • Resetting service reminders
    Reading & clearing fault codes
    Showing ECU information (how is this helpful?)
If any one of these do-it-yourself jobs means one less trip to the dealer, that's a win for me, but if I can't up-grade software or decipher complex techno babble, am I just wasting my time . . . and $$$ ?

So is this just a Big Boys Toy, or a real workshop tool?

Manly, hectic, ample and stylish, the warbling R nineT is total harmony with its plumage.
The dual exhaust creaks every blip ... hearing delight.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:10 AM

Garage
I have one that I bought to service my GS.

There are two models of it; with Bluetooth and Without Bluetooth. The model with Bluetooth allows you to use it with some mobile OS - good if you're on tour and without a full computer. The app (I use Android) works fine but isn't pretty. The difference is $50 US, well worth it.

Then there are two versions of it, the Enthusiast and the Professional. The difference here is that the Enthusiast only allows a maximum of ten VIN numbers to receive full service functionality, but you can use it to read and clear fault codes on any number of bikes. The Professional version is unlimited. The price difference here is +$200 and an Enthusiast can be software updated to Professional.

So to answer your questions:

The fault codeq on the bike is just a light. Light goes on = Something bad has happened, please fix me.

The GS911 goes way way way beyond reading and clearing fault codes. I've never used a BMW workshop tool but I'm willing to bet that the GS911 has nearly identical capabilities. The depth of information available is huge and it also allows you to perform processes, such as bleeding air from the ABS system. You can see realtime data for pretty much every sensor, so no more guessing what's wrong. The full on PC software is well designed and very straightforward. If you're just a little bit experienced with technology and modern vehicles then you'll have no issues figuring the tool out.

I do my own services on two bikes now and I think that it will save me money in the long run and am glad to have bought it. If things go wrong (hopefully they won't) I'm confident that I can accurately and quickly diagnose the issues.

Let me know if you have specific questions... I'll try to shoot a video of it in action for you.
Captain and jmvalderrama like this.
post #3 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Garage
I forgot to mention, I think a new device is in beta that allows you to use it with iOS. No idea on a release timeframe though...

post #4 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wongadon, thank you for the reply, very informative.

Looks like another new tool coming my way!

Manly, hectic, ample and stylish, the warbling R nineT is total harmony with its plumage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongadon View Post
I forgot to mention, I think a new device is in beta that allows you to use it with iOS. No idea on a release timeframe though...
Actually, its not beta. Its on the App store, and works via wifi. Of course the Hex site does not really discuss this much, as they are obviously Windows/Java programmers. The wifi software works on both iPhone and iPad. I assume the wifi version on the Hex unit, is a beta version, as you mentioned

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gs-9...771720761?mt=8

Last edited by rkevwill; 05-23-2014 at 10:10 PM.
post #6 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post
Actually, its not beta. Its on the App store, and works via wifi. Of course the Hex site does not really discuss this much, as they are obviously Windows/Java programmers. The wifi software works on both iPhone and iPad. I assume the wifi version on the Hex unit, is a beta version, as you mentioned

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gs-9...771720761?mt=8

Unless you have a beta version of the new GS911 with wifi capability the app is useless. The current versions available do not have wifi capabilities. Hexcode released a few test units into the wild but they are not yet for sale.
post #7 of 40 Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Unless you have a beta version of the new GS911 with wifi capability the app is useless. The current versions available do not have wifi capabilities. Hexcode released a few test units into the wild but they are not yet for sale.
Got it. Guess the reviews I looked at the other day were on the Beta version. Makes sense. They were using an iPad. From reading their site, looks to me like these guys are about 5 years behind hardware wise. I did see, the wifi version (and I assume their live version) supports the NineT now.
Wongadon likes this.
post #8 of 40 Old 05-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Garage
Actually the live version does not list the nineT yet, but selecting R1200R works perfectly. I'm hoping for, but not expecting, Hexcode to offer a trade up program... i'm an iOS person and have to stash an old Android phone in my tool kit.
post #9 of 40 Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Actually the live version does not list the nineT yet, but selecting R1200R works perfectly. I'm hoping for, but not expecting, Hexcode to offer a trade up program... i'm an iOS person and have to stash an old Android phone in my tool kit.
The latest Beta version now does support the NineT. I just downloaded it yesterday and voilá, there it is. Connected it to the bike and everything checks out.
post #10 of 40 Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugvogel View Post
The latest Beta version now does support the NineT. I just downloaded it yesterday and voilá, there it is. Connected it to the bike and everything checks out.
Hey zugvogel, as another GS-911 user, are you able to add anything further to my original post? It would be good to hear your observations. Thanks.

Also, when I get this unit, should I upgrade to the Beta version of the software straight away, (for the nineT), or wait until the public version is released?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page