User Tag List

87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Cyclops LED Headlight Lamp Replacement Comparison

Let me start out by saying I was a little skeptical about LED lamp replacements from my experience with HID conversions and many years as a Lighting Designer. Reflectors are specifically designed to work with a specific light source and so on...
BUT, I have been looking for a solution to get better lighting going on the NineT without spending big bucks...
I read through most of this thread on ADVrider.com and decided to take the plunge, seeing that the Vendor is a stand up guy and feeling if it didn't work out or fit I would just return it.
After doing the simple and straightforward install on the NineT I agree with how Off Road Ryder (the vendor) honestly describes the "upgrade".

On this bike at least, it's doesn't keep the hard edges BMW designed into the low beam to keep the lights out of other drivers eyes, it kind of diffuses the area where the light falls off, I can see in my photos how it will work better, even on low beam, to get cagers attention. Even better with high beam on.
In the photos you can see better peripheral illumination for cornering and I like the color temperature too, it stands out in the crowd without being too blue or "cool".

Overall I feel it's a good upgrade and am happy with the purchase - to improve visibility to others and it obviously should give a much better spread for cornering at night.
The Cyclops doesn't seems to have quite a focused beam projecting light dead center downrange as the OEM lamp, but that's something I can deal with for the other benefits. My OEM high beam was good when going straight, but when turning it left a lot to be desired being a little too focused.
Par for the course to not have a perfectly focused beam when you change a light source and far better than any HID conversion lamp created beam spread I've tried to use.

**EDIT**
At the time of writing this it wasn't know we needed to drill a hole in the housing to allow some ventilation, there's now photos in later posts and I recommend following the new Cyclops instructions.

3600 Lumen H4, H6M LED Headlight bulb

Shot on manual exposure, what you see is what you get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-20-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #2 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Thank you.. Very nice!!, I really looking forward to purchase this item, just some of the question. This one is just plug and play right? I don't need to modified anything ?? How is the installation?
post #3 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Plug and Ride! Yes it is, though it's a tight squeeze and you have to stuff the plug and ballast thingy above the headlight base. Sorry I don't have any photos of the Light before it went in and can't photograph the inside of the housing with it on... lol

You'll see when you get it, just know the plugs and thingy can't go behind the lamp base when installing. It also helps to have a little screwdriver to push the little headlight bracket that is attached to the screw that hold the retaining ring for the headlight in.
If you haven't removed and installed the headlight in the housing you might want to practice before you install the LED.

You will have to change the base on the LED light, out comes with 3, only one matches the H4 lamp on your bikes so it's easy to figure out which one.

Sorry I didn't document it better, just got back from a camping trip then did the full 12K service today so things have been a little hectic!
firstime911 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 PM

One more thing.. Do i need to buy this Rectifier ?
post #5 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Nope, that's for dirt bikes that run AC power, our bike and the LED light run on DC power.

Just the light, a phillips screwdriver and a small flathead will do it.

OH, and the rubber boot that seals the OEM lamp you'll be removing does't go back in.

post #6 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 PM

I guess this photo was missed out.
"Shot on manual exposure, what you see is what you get."

I'm buying this LED thing as soon as its available... very appreciate..
post #7 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Holy smokes! That is awesome!

I'll get one too! :-) ...and hopefully it's not too much shipping to Oz...

Thanks for sharing Lost! Especially the effort of taking the before and after shots!
post #8 of 160 Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstime911 View Post

I'm buying this LED thing as soon as its available... very appreciate..
Glad to help spend your money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc - Australia View Post
Holy smokes! That is awesome!

I'll get one too! :-) ...and hopefully it's not too much shipping to Oz...

Thanks for sharing Lost! Especially the effort of taking the before and after shots!
Right on!

If shipping seems too much I could send it to you too for face value.... throw some dirt on it, put it in a plain box and call it broken used parts so no import tax... The vendor seems like a good dude though.
Marc - Australia likes this.

post #9 of 160 Old 08-18-2014, 12:18 AM

high beam does not seem to throw light further ahead (thus higher), instead appears to be throwing more light wider and directly in front.

In other words if Low beam LED is ok and not blinding other drivers, then High beam would also be ok?
post #10 of 160 Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 AM

i am curious about longevity of the bulb especially in hot weather. How hot is the head light housing getting? I run my high all the time during the day and if this unit is such a tight squeeze I am worried about heat dissipation

Any pictures of the unit from the front on/off? What did you do with the BMW running lamp?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page