User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffsBMW

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Weird Sharp Metallic Plink Noise From Engine

Twice yesterday and (maybe twice before) this happens: from a start (or near start slow roll) releasing the clutch in first gear the engine will make a sharp metallic plink/ping noise just ONCE, and kind of miss a beat like its going to stall, but then recovers just fine. I would write it off to being a new to this bike (500 miles) and being sloppy about throttling up, but I don't ever make that mistake on my smaller engine bikes so I kind of doubt it, but don't know for sure. What concerns me is the sharp metallic ping sound, almost like tapping the head with a tack hammer. Any ideas? Is that the sound you get when you are a dope bogging this engine? Searched but found nothing. thanks
post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackmaster View Post
Twice yesterday and (maybe twice before) this happens: from a start (or near start slow roll) releasing the clutch in first gear the engine will make a sharp metallic plink/ping noise just ONCE, and kind of miss a beat like its going to stall, but then recovers just fine. I would write it off to being a new to this bike (500 miles) and being sloppy about throttling up, but I don't ever make that mistake on my smaller engine bikes so I kind of doubt it, but don't know for sure. What concerns me is the sharp metallic ping sound, almost like tapping the head with a tack hammer. Any ideas? Is that the sound you get when you are a dope bogging this engine? Searched but found nothing. thanks
I don't know what the cause is, but I have also experienced this. It only happens to me rarely when I rev the bike quickly in neutral, or trying to downshift quickly into 1st gear while rev matching. It's something with the throttle. It used to happen on my Ducati scrambler before I installed the race exhaust. Also happens to my brothers Thruxton R, but it always stalls afterward.

-BMW R nineT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mk7 Golf R
-Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 PM

I hear similar noises when I open the throttle on the highway.
First time it happened I was convinced I'd hit some debris- inspected my bike afterwards & found nothing. It's a sharp metallic sound like you mentioned, audible even at 65+mph, with sort of a crunch or crackling to it. Since it only happens while riding, it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.
My bike's around 2,700 miles. Would love to know what's causing this noise.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 02:21 AM

Might be detonation

Or most would know it as "pinging". Its caused be low octane fuel and lugging the motor. The fuels we get these days are crap and full of ethanol, in just a couple weeks of sitting in the gas station and then in your tank that stuff begins to breakdown and separate. Best bet to overcome the "ping" is to keep it low on fuel till you need it then when you do pay the price and get the good stuff. I feed mine Chevron super with techron, the only time it pings is when I have let it sit to long, about a month (I have 25 bikes with 14 registered) and dog it to the Chevron station for a splash of fresh stuff.

Another solution is to upgrade exhaust and intake and send the computer out for a remap but that's a little expensive in my book.
BillB likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 PM

I hear a single "ting" when opening the throttle, changing gears etc...
sounds like it's coming from the exhaust flapper. Almost like it's slamming open when opening the throttle...
For those that hear it, do you still have the flapper installed?

It's different from the "pinging" motor lug...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 05-01-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Plink Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009FXDF View Post
I hear a single "ting" when opening the throttle, changing gears etc...
sounds like it's coming from the exhaust flapper. Almost like it's slamming open when opening the throttle...
For those that hear it, do you still have the flapper installed?

It's different from the "pinging" motor lug...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I still have the flapper (because I was convinced by old timer experts in CB750-land that back pressure helps with low end grunt though not sure that carries to our bikes for sure) and the plink noise on my bike wass most definitely coming from the engine/head. Its the unmistakably unsettling sound of a single ball peen hammer ping/ring on the mass of the head that almost seems to stun it. Thanks for the input above - pretty sure its preignition shaky gas / not enough throttle. Didn't do it at all the last few hundred miles last week.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM

Was it cold outside when any of you fine gentlemen experience this noise? It happened to me today, and the only thing that I can think of that is different is the temperature outside.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Garage
...perhaps that float in the fuel tank? ...you accelerate (.."tink!")

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page