2Likes
  • 1 Post By Michel
  • 1 Post By BaldyDave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Overfilled oil!

I've misjudged the oil level and over filled while doing an oil change!

The level is at the very top of the window, just.

How much of a problem is this?
post #2 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrox986 View Post
I've misjudged the oil level and over filled while doing an oil change!

The level is at the very top of the window, just.

How much of a problem is this?
Under what conditions did you check the oil level? If checked cold vs warm it will read differently.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hi Dolemite,

Oil level was at cold.

I guess my question is, do I need to try and drain off just enough from the sump plug or is this level ok and will not effect the running.

Rich

post #4 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Hi Dolemite,

Oil level was at cold.

I guess my question is, do I need to try and drain off just enough from the sump plug or is this level ok and will not effect the running.

Rich

I think what he's saying is he can't answer your question since we don't know if you're actually overfilled because your reading is unreliable. Run the bike, let it warm up, then leave it on a lift or paddock stand (upright). Then wait ten minutes and check the level. If the window is still completely full, you've overfilled. You can try to drain out a little from the plug by unscrewing it slightly and letting it drizzle out - or just remove the plug, dump the contents into a clean container and then refill with the appropriate amount.

If you are overfilled, it shouldn't be a big deal - unless you've overfilled by a lot - in which case you'll end up with a bunch of oil in your air filter.

- N8
post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Hi Dolemite,

Oil level was at cold.

Rich
When I first bought my bike, the oil level was high like that (just barely visible in the window). I called the dealer, and they said it was fine. After my 600 mile tune, they changed the oil and again it was on the very high end. I asked the dealer again, and once more they reported that it was fine. I do my own oil now and fill it a bit lower for my own peace of mind, but I think as long as you can see the top of the line in the window, you are safe imo. But other people on this forum may feel otherwise.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Location: Schermoney - SW, where the Mercedeses and Porsches grow!
Garage
Got my bike back from the dealership after the 10.000km service and they had filled too much oil in as well. I did not recognize that until about 300 klicks later and then I thought: if there were to be consequences, they be here already. 800klicks later the bike still runs a-okay.

Summary: no problem.
RS89 likes this.

Kineo wheels (silver rims black hubs, spokes & nipples), Wilbers shock & fork springs, forks black anodized, exhaust polished, loads of Rizoma stuff, LSL bars, heated seat, heated Kuryakin grips (Coolride cartridge system), BoosterPlug
post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 03:53 PM
CHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
When I first bought my bike, the oil level was high like that (just barely visible in the window). I called the dealer, and they said it was fine. After my 600 mile tune, they changed the oil and again it was on the very high end. I asked the dealer again, and once more they reported that it was fine. I do my own oil now and fill it a bit lower for my own peace of mind, but I think as long as you can see the top of the line in the window, you are safe imo. But other people on this forum may feel otherwise.

Same here. My bike is new but I always check (waiting 10 min after warm up/shut down upright) and it's right up at the top fill line.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM

You can siphon some of the oil out. (I've done it.) DO NOT SUCK THE OIL OUT! (Oil is a carcinogenic.) Use a bulb.

BMW R nineT
Porsche Cayman Black Edition
post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
As others have said, if you get the same level after the oil is warm and the bike is level, them I personally would leave things be. If you can still just see the upper level through the glass then you haven't overfilled it by much. If you can't see the upper level then I'd drain a little off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg Navarro likes this.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page