Minor oil leak? - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-14-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Minor oil leak?

Just noticed my bike (with less than 100 miles on it) is spotting my garage floor with oil! Seems to be weeping from underneath. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow. Somewhat surprised ... never had a Harley do this

If when you park your bike and leave and don't look back, perhaps you bought the wrong bike.

2014 C7 Corvette Z51
2015 Land Rover
post #2 of 29 Old 05-14-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord Z51 View Post
Just noticed my bike (with less than 100 miles on it) is spotting my garage floor with oil! Seems to be weeping from underneath. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow. Somewhat surprised ... never had a Harley do this

Minor oil leaks tend to be from motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1980 Honda CB650, 1997 Honda CB900, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie, 2010 VTR 250, 2016 BMW R9T
post #3 of 29 Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 PM

Hope it doesn't come from between the engine & tranny.Then it could be a rear main seal.Cheap part but bigger labor bill because the bike has to be split.No big deal during warranty times...That is the reason I don't run full synthetic on air/oil cooled boxers anymore.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 07:44 AM

Garage
Have you removed your charcoal canister? Sometimes oil drips out from the hoses that used to run into the can, as well as gasoline fumes.

-BMW R nineT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mk7 Golf R
-Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 11:18 AM

What's the reason behind not using fully synthetic oil?

Most of my life, I drank beer, rode bikes, and chased women..........the rest of it I just wasted.

Last edited by Kenko; 05-15-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Mistakes
post #6 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Is the BMW recommended oil fully synth.?

Haulbikes.com SUCKS - Beware

post #7 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenko View Post
Because some folks haven't figured out it's not 1975 anymore and this is the internet where things are repeated over and over and over long after they no longer apply. When synthetic oils first became common there some issues but those were resolved loooong ago. As to the new bike oil drips, I'd check the engine oil level to see if it's over-filled.
Kenko likes this.

Function not Fluff

Last edited by JohnT; 05-15-2017 at 12:20 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your ideas. No, I have not removed the canister. The oil window certainly showed full when they delivered the bike - perhaps even over-filled as I could not see an oil line in the window. It's now down about 1/4 inch. As you know it can be hard to see where an oil leak is originating but it appears to be from the very bottom rear of the engine. The area is quite "lubricated" and comes off on a paper towel. As it's a brand new bike I'm going to let BMW sort it out and will update the thread when I hear back from them.

If when you park your bike and leave and don't look back, perhaps you bought the wrong bike.

2014 C7 Corvette Z51
2015 Land Rover
post #9 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

As @JohnT says it could be that the bike is overfilled with oil and it's blowing it out...... Check the engine oil level.

Also feedback on where the oil seems to be coming from once you get a proper look. Could be a couple of other things....

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #10 of 29 Old 05-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
it appears to be from the very bottom rear of the engine.

If it were an old BMW I'd suspect output shaft seal, but it's hard to believe a bike as new as this would suffer.
It's possible I suppose, if it wasn't seated properly during production.
Anyway, best place to get the answer from is a mechanic who can shine a torch under there, rather than a bunch of folks who can't even see your bike.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page