Charcoal Canister Removal - US models - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 177 Old 02-22-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Charcoal Canister Removal - US models

On US models, BMW has installed a charcoal canister to capture any fuel overfill. This is an EPA requirement but BMW's solution is a really bad design. This video does an excellent job of explaining why and how to remove this unnecessary assembly of parts. Aside from it interfering with installation of some aftermarket shocks and exhaust systems, it is basically crap and looks crap too.

This link speaks specifically to the solenoid that opens the valve when the engine is running. (this is the part you see Chris in the video pull off and chuck to "clean things up" as he put it. No fault codes will be generated as its a simply on/off switch.
Charcoal canister solanoid - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

And here is a nice PDF that provides a bit more detail in the pics.
http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...er_Removal.pdf
MRMVOLZ likes this.
post #2 of 177 Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Fantastically awesome video. Thanks Thom!

Canister coming off my RT soon.
post #3 of 177 Old 02-25-2014, 01:57 PM

I just removed the canisters from both my 1200GSA and 1100R which was pretty straight forward. On the 2007 GSA it was mounted on the left side next to the rear spring which I would assume is the only location where they could put it on the NineT.
My buddy has a 2009 GSA on which they had to move the canister forward, right, behind the front fork under the tank. I assume this will not work on the NineT so the big question is: where will they put it?
I have not seen any picture yet on which you could locate the darn thing.
Has anyone seen a US spec bike with the canister mounted?

post #4 of 177 Old 02-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugvogel View Post
I just removed the canisters from both my 1200GSA and 1100R which was pretty straight forward. On the 2007 GSA it was mounted on the left side next to the rear spring which I would assume is the only location where they could put it on the NineT.
My buddy has a 2009 GSA on which they had to move the canister forward, right, behind the front fork under the tank. I assume this will not work on the NineT so the big question is: where will they put it?
I have not seen any picture yet on which you could locate the darn thing.
Has anyone seen a US spec bike with the canister mounted?
I was told at the show the can would be right under the seat and that is why the dropped the high Akropovic silencer, the can took up part of the mounting area the silencer used
post #5 of 177 Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM

ah, that's why we won't get the high exhaust, that's right. This mounting location is good as it makes it very easy to remove the canister.
thompcat and Bonkorama like this.
post #6 of 177 Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM

I get nervous removing parts like this in the case of a problem occurring and the warranty not being recognized. Is this an issue I should be worried about?
post #7 of 177 Old 02-26-2014, 06:35 PM

it is easy to put back on and as long as you leave the ECV (valve) plugged into the power line and just plug off the two ports on it the ECU and the dealer will never know it was ever off.

But also I can not imagine that this would have any impact on the warranty whatsoever since the US bikes are the only ones worldwide to have them fitted. But then again, a lawyer might not care about that...
post #8 of 177 Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I get nervous removing parts like this in the case of a problem occurring and the warranty not being recognized. Is this an issue I should be worried about?
i do not know where you are from, but in Massachusetts, the burden is on the manufacturer to demonstrate a modification caused a failure that voids a warranty.

seeing as the charcoal canister is a merely a catch can for fuel overflow, i have trouble thinking of a failure that could be attributable to its removal.
post #9 of 177 Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 AM

If in doubt, the manufacturer is always in the better position. I would do no technical modification in the warranty period.
ian likes this.

˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq uıɐƃɐ ɹǝʌǝu ll,ı
post #10 of 177 Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 AM

i can imagine lots of folks are going to be removing the canister.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page