The Exhaust Flap Valve Super Mega Thread Fest - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

 181Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 365 Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
DNA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17
(Thread Starter)
The Exhaust Flap Valve Super Mega Thread Fest

Greetings to all , I have owned my R9T two weeks now and having never sa on it prior to purchasing it i was amazed at how good a package it is .

Keen to make it "mine" out came the exhaust baffles and next on the sights was the exhaust flapper valve , this was duly removed and replaced with a plain piece of stainless tube, 60.5 OD x 75mm long do not purchase the commercially available part that costs £35 ( $50) just go to your local exhaust specialist and purchase an off cut. Mine was free in fact .
Having already removed the flap valve on my hP2 Sport and a GS1200 I know that it does not make any massive improvement on performance however the exhaust "crackle" on over run is to die for especially if you keep throttle off the stop a bit so some fuel is being dragged in.
Performance wise it does remove the slight dip in power/TQ between 2600-4000 rpm .

No warning lights come on the connector to the motor is simply taped up and hidden out of sight .
Next is to get rid of the KAT, this I will do by fitting Akropovic headers feon an twin can 1200GS ( yes they fit I already tried the ones of my mates GS).

It is not about performance gain it is just the noise ....

Happy riding ...

Dave.
DNA is offline  
post #2 of 365 Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: south uk
Posts: 233
Garage
Hi Dna
Isn't it possible just to uncouple the cables which leaves the flap open.?
Cheers piston.

SOME DAYS ITS NOT WORTH CHEWING THROUGH THE LEATHER STRAPS .
pistonbroke is offline  
post #3 of 365 Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
DNA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17
(Thread Starter)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Hi Dna
Isn't it possible just to uncouple the cables which leaves the flap open.?
Cheers piston.
Hi,
I suppose yes it is however you are then left with the servo motor etc just hanging around , It takes literally ten minutes to remove the valve and replace it with the tube , it will take you longer to uncouple the cables ,you can alternatively just remove the connector from the unit it stays open all the time then , I did this on my HP2 as the valve was welded into the pipe an valve was open all the time , I later removed it by changing exhaust .
Removing the whole thing including motor , cleans up the bike a bit .

Sometimes less is more .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0436[1].jpg
Views:	4457
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	3714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0437[1].jpg
Views:	4677
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	3722  

Last edited by DNA; 04-04-2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: more detail
DNA is offline  
 
post #4 of 365 Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: France, West Coast
Posts: 103
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
... and hidden out of sight
Where did you hide it?
delirii is offline  
post #5 of 365 Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
DNA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirii View Post
Where did you hide it?
I just tucked the wire up behind the frame and secured it with cable ty , it is not visible now .
DNA is offline  
post #6 of 365 Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 42
Good job!
BigD is offline  
post #7 of 365 Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: México
Posts: 250
please share a video please please
brovski likes this.
jkmalo is offline  
post #8 of 365 Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
DNA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 17
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmalo View Post
please share a video please please
Are pictures not enough , I am old school fart do not do video, only just started using camera!
huntsman likes this.
DNA is offline  
post #9 of 365 Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
huntsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Are pictures not enough , I am old school fart do not do video, only just started using camera!
me too , so far I've managed to avoid ALL special deals on GoPro white/silver/black/ super black / matte black 2.0.1 / ....
Marc - Australia likes this.
huntsman is online now  
post #10 of 365 Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central NY
Posts: 172
When you say remove the whole thing including the motor, by motor I assume you mean what the microfiche calls the servo unit? The wire you zip tied to the frame was the electric cable that goes into the servo unit? I would also like to remove that bit of clutter.
twowheelbmw likes this.

Ute's chauffeur
Amici et Iter Super Omnia
Cruisincruzan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome