R nine T Storm or Racer.....anyone have both? - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
R nine T Storm or Racer.....anyone have both?

Hello R9T folks. Currently own a Ducati (Diavel) however wanting to add an additional bike to stable. However am undecided between the R9T Storm or the new Racer. Have test driven the base model but no Racer.

Mainly trying to decide if I'd be comfortable with the lean angle and wrist feel of the Racer. Reading around forum, sounds like this maybe an issue. Understanding all body types are different (I'm on the average atheletic build type).

So anyone have both.....what are your thoughts on comfort and performance?

I've been reading several topics and rider reviews however curious of what actual owners think? Stick with Storm or happier with Racer?
post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Never heard of the Storm....

Do you mean the Pure (base roadster) or do you mean the classic (original) R nineT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 08:18 AM

The standard BMW R nineT comes in a color called black storm metallic. Is that what you are referring to when you say "R nineT Storm".

The standard R nineT is a more "sit up" bike than the Racer . . . not exactly "sit up" like the Diavel but sit up nonetheless. The new racer is in the mode of the old Ducati Paul Smart Sport Classic. The Racer is a old school sport bike. If I had a Diavel and wanted something different I would go for the new Racer.

BMW R nineT
Porsche Cayman Black Edition
Mercedes E300

post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage
You can use the site Motorcycle Ergonomics to see what the calculated seating position differences will be. While they don't have the Racer listed yet, you can see the difference between the standard R9T and Diavel. I currently have a Racer and agree with George above about the Racer being like the Ducati Sport, which is listed on the site.

As you will see, the Racer position is extremely aggressive and depending on how accustomed you are to sport bikes and how you plan on using the Racer, it might be too much. I wouldn't have it as my only bike, but as a second bike, it's a great change of pace from my S1000R.
Karamazov likes this.

Last edited by BillB; 03-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm aware of various models, just not sure what the standard base inverted fork model was being called.

Appreciate the above info. Was on the same thinking as the two Gents above. It would be a secondary bike. Hoping to try one on for sizing/comfort, however with its debut they are tough to test ride, let alone find one to swing a leg over. I'll be staying tuned into the forum although for continual info.

That S1000R is a really nice bike btw.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 PM

Garage
Gonna be a bit controversial I'm sure but in my humble opinion the standard or sport are the only ones I like. Some custom work is amazing but the scrambler, racer etc. really just don't do it for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX R nine T View Post
I'm aware of various models, just not sure what the standard base inverted fork model was being called.
***EDIT***.
If by inverted forks you mean the gold upside-down forks, those belong to the original R nineT, which is actually the most expensive bike of the R nineT range. This bike is the only one with the upside-down forks, the rest of the range have conventional forks.

The base model of the nineT range is the R nineT Pure.

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 05:14 AM

It is the second bike then get the Racer or whichever model you like the best since you can modify them anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page