What about a K1300S front wheel - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What about a K1300S front wheel

Found some K1300S wheels, dealer said the rear should be no problem (mounts the other direction) but he wasn't sure about the front. I've been looking for a R1200R front but haven't had much luck finding one for the right price. Thought if the K1300S front would work I could broaden my options. Anyway, thanks ahead for any info/thoughts.
post #2 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
Found some K1300S wheels, dealer said the rear should be no problem (mounts the other direction) but he wasn't sure about the front. I've been looking for a R1200R front but haven't had much luck finding one for the right price. Thought if the K1300S front would work I could broaden my options. Anyway, thanks ahead for any info/thoughts.
If the cast wheel rear spokes are angled then wouldn't they be facing the wrong way on the rear wheel once you flip them around? The fronts should be no problem as I believe they are the same as the similar styles used on the earlier R1200 bikes. Spacers and seals should make the front wheels work.

Last edited by MotoMike; 03-19-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
If the cast wheel rear spokes are angled then wouldn't they be facing the wrong way on the rear wheel once you flip them around? The fronts should be no problem as I believe they are the same as the similar styles used on the earlier R1200 bikes. Spacers and seals should make the front wheels work.
Technically the rear wheel would be "backward" but I figure I can mount the front backward to match. I'm guessing that will also keep me from having to switch the seals on the front as well.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM

You can't mount the front backwards due to offsets from spacer/axle

Remus Headers, Kineo wheels, Matris Suspension, BoosterPlug, Rizoma+

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420
post #5 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
You can't mount the front backwards due to offsets from spacer/axle
Hmm....need to know for sure. When JohnT replied to hammick about R1200R wheels he replied:

"The catch is the front wheel (axle) seals. You can run the front wheel "backwards" or to do it right get another set of seals to install.

The left and right seals have the same ODs but different IDs and a right side seal for the R9T is a left side seal for the R1200R etc.

I'm running R1200R wheels on my R9T. I really like them."

This is where I got the idea of running the front backwards so I could match reversing the rear. Hope JohnT is right as I've already purchased my k1300s rear wheel with the intention of reversing the front.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Hmm....need to know for sure. When JohnT replied to hammick about R1200R wheels he replied:

"The catch is the front wheel (axle) seals. You can run the front wheel "backwards" or to do it right get another set of seals to install.

The left and right seals have the same ODs but different IDs and a right side seal for the R9T is a left side seal for the R1200R etc.

I'm running R1200R wheels on my R9T. I really like them."

This is where I got the idea of running the front backwards so I could match reversing the rear. Hope JohnT is right as I've already purchased my k1300s rear wheel with the intention of reversing the front.
There is a spacer on the left side which mates to the wheel/bearing. Can't use that spacer on the other side. Also very specific spacing for the ABS ring & sensor. See #12
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	73562  

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420
post #7 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
There is a spacer on the left side which mates to the wheel/bearing. Can't use that spacer on the other side. Also very specific spacing for the ABS ring & sensor. See #12
Thank you for the info. Also found someone else here on the forum that tried a K1300S wheel up front and it would not work due to the distance between the rotors. So if I can't use a K1300S front and I can't flip the R1200R front I suppose I could run a S1000 front with the K1300S rear, not sure how that would look but probably better than two directional looking wheels going opposite directions which would be the case if I run a R1200R one way on the front and the K1300S on the back going the other. OR, I could just cut my losses and start over with a R1200R rear. Not sure, wonder why JohnT (who has the R1200R set up) thought you could run the fron R1200R backwards.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info. Also found someone else here on the forum that tried a K1300S wheel up front and it would not work due to the distance between the rotors. So if I can't use a K1300S front and I can't flip the R1200R front I suppose I could run a S1000 front with the K1300S rear, not sure how that would look but probably better than two directional looking wheels going opposite directions which would be the case if I run a R1200R one way on the front and the K1300S on the back going the other. OR, I could just cut my losses and start over with a R1200R rear. Not sure, wonder why JohnT (who has the R1200R set up) thought you could run the fron R1200R backwards.
Or just buy aftermarket wheels that fit 100%

post #9 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Really? I'm only familiar with mounting R1200R wheels but on the R1200R front the only reason you "Can't use that spacer on the other side" is because the seal ID is wrong. That's why you get another set of seals and switch them side to side. The wheel bearing is the same on both sides, on one side a spacer sits against the bearings inner race, on the other side, the axle shoulder. The seal ID rides on the axle on one side and the spacer on the other side. I did look at just running the R1200R wheel "backwards" until we realized running it the "right direction" only required switching the seals. I think we had an R1200R wheel in place backwards (we pulled the front wheel off an R1200R on the floor) while we were verifying it fit.

Function not Fluff

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2017 at 08:36 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-19-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info. Also found someone else here on the forum that tried a K1300S wheel up front and it would not work due to the distance between the rotors....
Not sure, wonder why JohnT (who has the R1200R set up) thought you could run the fron R1200R backwards.
The disc spacing was what we checking initially trying to find a front that worked. Using the rear off a camhead R1200R was a given from the start. And then it turned out the R1200R front also worked and "matched" when the wheel seals were swapped side to side. I did this quite a while ago. Seems like the R1200R front axle also was "backwards", installed from the opposite side, compared to the R Nine T but like I said this was done a couple yrs ago. The R1200R front was one of the last we looked at as we assumed (incorrectly) that being a telelever front it wouldn't work.

Function not Fluff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page