BMW NineT Forum banner

Suspension Questions for Our Situation

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  moto1320 
#1 ·
So I've read all the suspension threads, some several times over, but I still can't help starting a new thread asking for thoughts/opinions for our particular 9T situation. Perhaps I'm mainly seeking reassurance before dropping the $$.

Mrs A and I both ride the T. I'm 220# geared up and Mrs A is around 130# in kit. I ride aggressively, Mrs A rides sedately. I realize that any upgrade, no matter much money I spend, can't be optimized for both of us, but I hope that it can at least work well for both of us.

My main complaint with the stock suspension is that the bike gets unsettled when cornering hard on rough pavement. Mrs A never notices this, because she doesn't ride like that. Furthermore, she's worried that if I "upgrade" the suspension it will ruin the ride for her, because she hates what I've done to the ride of my car (sway bar, dampers, etc for track days, resulting in an admittedly stiff, not street-friendly ride in my cage) and she's afraid I'll do much the same thing to the T.

So, we're a suspension builder's nightmare: All we want is a plush ride for a 130# rider, and a performance oriented ride for a 220# rider on same bike with the same suspension.

So, I've finally drilled down to my basic question: Since Ohlins and Wilbers seem to be the two main contenders, would one or the other perhaps be better for our conflicting desires? Which might offer the best compromise?

See less See more
#3 ·
Talk to a good suspension guy who deals with either Ohlins and Wilbers.

My set up is adjustable and I've got settings for both solo and pillion riding. Not the same issue you have, but the suspension can manage a fair bit of variability, especially if not set up to optimise a track day.

I suspect your wife might find it a bit firmer, but as it settles so much better there really is no comparison to the horrible OEM suspension, to either of your choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
So I've read all the suspension threads, some several times over, but I still can't help starting a new thread asking for thoughts/opinions for our particular 9T situation. Perhaps I'm mainly seeking reassurance before dropping the $$.

Mrs A and I both ride the T. I'm 220# geared up and Mrs A is around 130# in kit. I ride aggressively, Mrs A rides sedately. I realize that any upgrade, no matter much money I spend, can't be optimized for both of us, but I hope that it can at least work well for both of us.

My main complaint with the stock suspension is that the bike gets unsettled when cornering hard on rough pavement. Mrs A never notices this, because she doesn't ride like that. Furthermore, she's worried that if I "upgrade" the suspension it will ruin the ride for her, because she hates what I've done to the ride of my car (sway bar, dampers, etc for track days, resulting in an admittedly stiff, not street-friendly ride in my cage) and she's afraid I'll do much the same thing to the T.

So, we're a suspension builder's nightmare: All we want is a plush ride for a 130# rider, and a performance oriented ride for a 220# rider on same bike with the same suspension.

So, I've finally drilled down to my basic question: Since Ohlins and Wilbers seem to be the two main contenders, would one or the other perhaps be better for our conflicting desires? Which might offer the best compromise?
The rear stock shock on a R nineT is terrible. Get rid of it and get an Öhlins rear shock. It will definitely improve the ride. The only problem that I see is your weight difference. The Öhlins shock comes with a spring set up for the rider's weight (with gear). You can talk to an Öhlins tech and get an opinion.

#5 ·
Given your situation, it's going to be a compromise whatever suspension you go for. Only advice I'd give is take advice from an expert suspension technician, who will probably recommend a well set up shock that, whilst a compromise, will be better than the stock shock on the bike at present.

#7 ·
Naw, we have 4 bikes, and we each ride them all, although she doesn't much care for my Sportster. She got her license a few years ago; I guess she got tired of looking around my fat head 2 up.

WRT another 9T - I recently floated that trial balloon, and to my surprise it wasn't instantly shot down. That would mean the Sportster would have to go away to make room, though. :(

Actually, I'm jonesing for a Motus, but that costs two 9T's.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will seek a local suspension shop with a good reputation, their expertise might be well worth it, as opposed to my usual practice of ordering things, bolting them on, then finding out whether they work or not.

#11 ·
To answer your question Ohlins is the way to go but 90 pounds difference between your wife and you is huge.
You would need a 170 rear spring and your wife probably a 150 going by that the Ohlins sprung for a 180 lbs person comes with a 160.
I probably would buy a R1200R-LC with ESA and get the low and tall sport seat and have one bike that you and your wife can ride comfortably with the push of a button !
As for the MOTUS?Buy a Honda ST1300 instead?It's more reliable.Costs half the money,dealerships and parts everywhere and you don't have to mess with the chain...:tongue:
No I would get the Ohlins sprung for you for the R9T and buy the R1200R for the wife !

#12 ·
probably would buy a R1200R-LC with ESA and get the low and tall sport seat and have one bike that you and your wife can ride comfortably with the push of a button !
As for the MOTUS?Buy a Honda ST1300 instead?It's more reliable.Costs half the money,dealerships and parts everywhere and you don't have to mess with the chain
Thanks for the response, here are my knee jerk reactions:

R1200R with ESA - Yeah, I guess that would work.....maybe, on the other hand, maybe not, I don't know.......

Honda ST1300: What is that again, I guess I'll go look it up, hmm, it's a sport tourer, I guess, umm, I can't even remember what it looked like 3 seconds after closing the page, what was it again?

Motus: Holy Crap Yes Yes YES!!!!!!

#13 ·
The R1200R would definitely work with the push of a button for both of you.Solo for your wife and 2-up for you.Thanks to ESA.
The Honda ST1300 is a V4 like a MOTUS but with driveshaft instead of a messy chain for less than half the money with dealerships and parts everywhere...;-)
Would I buy one?
No!
Motus is a conversation piece for some rich guy to collect dust with all the other 100 plus bikes stored in some warehouse.
You could also buy another R9T for your wife and have Ohlins sprung them accordingly...;-)

#16 ·
I've yet to upgrade the suspension on the 9T yet, but I ran full Ohlins on my track bikes. There the matter of sorting a bike for two people 90 lbs. apart that ride the same style is more than hard. Figuring that out for sedate vs. aggressive riding is just too much spread to cover. The bike will ride with all of the cushion of a covered wagon for her with 9.5-10.0 springs unless she rides it like she stole it. You may get some wiggle room dialing down a notch and playing with the oil viscosity, but I think you'll be out quite a bit of cash for performance that you only like a little more and she likes less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.