Pure/Racer cast wheels on 2014-16 R9T - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-30-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Pure/Racer cast wheels on 2014-16 R9T

Got one of the last new 2016 RNineT with Euro 3 engine and steeper steering angle and most of the sheet waiting to be put on to make the bike ready to ride.Even with the $2000 factory incentive the bike will cost as much as full on watercooled GS...
-Daytona fairing
-S1000R handlebar
-Oilcooler mesh
-Aluminum tailend
-LED blinkers
-Gps mount
-Engine protection plate
-Ohlin$$$ combo;fork,shock,steering dampener
-Hepco Becker Orbit hardcases & Topbox
-Ilmberger splash guard

What I haven't decided yet are which rims to get but the easiest would be to get the black BMW cast wheels the Pure or Racer come with.Looking at them they should fit.Only the ABS sensor ring on the 2014-16 R9T is bolted on the left brake rotor instead of the hub of the new 2017 R9T's.Are they any problems clearing the brake caliper or do I have to machine down the left side of the rim where the rotor is mounted the same amount of the thickness of the ABS sensor ring to get even spacing to prevent the rotors from rubbing on the calipers...
Anyone has done this or knows if the Pure/Racer cast wheels will fit ?
Any suggestion is appreciated.
As an alternative would be getting the grey 2010-14 R1200R rims that fit and have them powdercoated in black or getting PVM forged wheels from Germany or the forged Gale Speed from Japan that unfortunately comes only as a 6.0 instead of a 5.5 in the rear...

The heavy tubed spokes have to go.With a centerstand I probably would live with them...
post #2 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 11:24 AM

I can't help with your wheel question as most people here go aftermarket on wheels and I'm not sure what would be the point of the pure wheels.

On the other hand, how the heck did you get a NineT to cost anywhere close to a GS? Either prices in Europe are very different than the US or your dealer took you for a ride. In the US, a NineT runs about $15k while a GS goes for $20-$30k depending on options.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerlust View Post
As an alternative would be getting the grey 2010-14 R1200R rims...
That's what I did. The R1200R wheels are "granite grey". The R Nine T final drive and swingarm is "asphalt grey". You have to look real close to tell the grey wheels aren't the same grey color (and then you're still not sure) as the final drive / swingarm.

There is the 2014 Dark White R1200R that came with black wheels. I considered those but went with the grey. No regrets.

Function not Fluff

post #4 of 13 Old 05-04-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Mike I got a good deal;$13150 + tax/lic on a new 2016 R Nine T.
But with all the stuff it adds another 8-9 grand to get into GS territory price wise.I mean Ohlin$ and wheels are a must.Also luggage if you want to go somewhere.
Forgot to mention the Gilles Tooling rearsets to get the brakelever off the ground.
I think I get the R1200R wheels as I can't get no answer from PVN on how much or when.They don't have any in stock and all orders are made to order...ridiculous !
I can wait forever...
post #5 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got tired of waiting and found a very good albeit expensive solution to the wheel dilemma I have not read about in this forum.
BMW makes HP forged wheels that came on the beautiful HP2-S but in titanium/bronze color in the right sizes 3.5-5.5 for the R1200R that also fit the R9T !
Beautiful,sturdy and very light.But so will be your wallet.But a grand more than the cast R1200R wheels worth it to me for better looks and lighter weight and probably sturdier too.
As an alternative for the wide rear wheel posers they make the set with a 6.0 rear for the R1200S that will fit the R9T.
Now she's a keeper I hope...;-)
post #6 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Garage
Is this the same boxerlust whose thread of posts and replies to I entertained myself with yesterday, when he was talking about everything wrong with the R9T?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 12:17 PM

Garage
“Anyway, like I was sayin’, crow is the fruit of the sky. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There’s crow-kabobs, crow creole, crow gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There’s pineapple crow, lemon crow, coconut crow, pepper crow, shrimp soup, crow stew, crow salad, crow and potatoes, crow burger, crow sandwich. That, that’s about it.” – Barbarossa, with due credit to Bubba. Bon appetit! I can't believe you guys are going to let him off this easily. Anyway, enjoy your ride; even with all it's lacking.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Barbarossa I did not say everything is wrong with the R9T.BMW got 90% right.But the devil is in the details.The stocker definitely needs good suspension (Ohlin$$$) and lighter/tubeless wheel$$$.And centerstand and hardbags from the factory as options would have been icing on the cake !
My bike has everything now except it is still lacking the practical centerstand.
I know they make the R1200R but this thing lacks the 150hp boxer and analog tach...;-)
B.t.w. the PVM made BMW HP wheels are nice and bolt straight on.Needs only different dustcaps and 5 shorter wheelstuds.
Now it rides and steers like it should have right from the factory...I hope since I still wait for the tires...LOL...Conti RoadAttack#3.
SportAttack#3 would work too but since the R9T as only 100rwhp a waste of money since they probably get 2000 miles less.
Love Conti tires,predictable,quick steering and still stable in turns - Deutsche Technik
Can't wait to take the bike to Mexico and ride hard without the fear of getting tickets or worse - Mexico,land of the free !
post #9 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Garage
It sounds like you are really getting it where you want it to be. A Bursig is great in the garage, but not much help roadside; I agree with you there. After throwing a few Harleys around without a centerstand for the six previous years, I kind of learned to deal with it though. The Mexico trip sounds sweet, maybe you can get yourself a pair of those kickass Gasolina boots made while you are there. What rear shock model did you go with? Did you have to remove the charcoal canister? Every time I think this bike is lacking something, I remind myself of some of the mid-70's Suzukis or dirt bikes I had and the stupid smile returns.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I put Ohlins on.Mexico on a bike is indeed the best!Can't wait to take the R9T on the Devils Backbone.One if not the the best motorcycle road in the world.If a bike works on this road it is good anywhere.But tubed heavy wheels in combination with no centerstand is a no go.BMW should have known better.Good suspension is a must too as also quick steering.R & GS bikes work here very well.I will soon know how the RNineT stacks up...Never heared of Gasolina boots.I only wear Daytonas when riding...;-)
Have fun !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page