Evotech-performance uk tail tidy for 2017-up us-spec r nine t (pure) - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Bike: Pure
(Thread Starter)
Evotech-performance uk tail tidy for 2017-up us-spec r nine t (pure)

After a couple months of poking around on this forum and holding various competing tail tidy kits in my hands, I rolled the dice on the only model I hadn’t seen in real life: Evo-Tech’s new unit. Dubbed by the company as fully plug-and-play, it comes with everything:

Hardware
Molded ABS plastic undertray
Beautifully 3D CNC’ed billet alloy blinker bracket and tail light housing
New smaller, EU spec clear taillight, to replace the monstrosity that comes stock in US models
Two CNC’ed alloy plates: one for the underside of the plastic pan, and the other to hold the license plate

Here’s where I started with the project:

Not going to bore you with step-by-step how-to for this process, because more clever guys than me have already posted a hundred threads on the topic. Suffice to say I removed the seat, gutted the stock plastic bits, detached the various wire looms and removed all the salvageable components: namely my petite LED blinkers.

EVO-TECH’s website has a stunning instruction PDF that I downloaded to the iBooks on my iPad. Packed with few words, mostly illustrations and the occasional arrow to show direction or intent, it’s one of the nicest online manuals I’ve ever used, and I copy and art-direct photos for how-to manuals for a living.

Full disclosure: I suffered a panic attack mid-way though the process. I was unaware that the wire loom for taillight assemblies on BMW motorcycles feature TWO plugs for the taillight:

1 for the US spec taillight
1 for the Euro spec taillight

The latter plug has a blanker on the end so it isn’t readily identifiable as something I needed to play attention to.

An email to EVO-TECH staff via their website was easy enough, and two hours later (10:30pm PST) a nice UK early bird whose name escapes me called to talk me through the dilemma. Crisis averted, I went to bed, then got up 0700 PST this morning to finish the project.

Tips: don’t use nylon nuts to tighten against threads on bolts molded into plastic bits, like the backing plate on an LED taillight.

Use medium thread lock compound on the small Allen screws EVO-TECH supplies for holding the bracket. Their heads are 3mm Allen button types, and thread lock any stronger might cause you to strip the wrench holes. I’m an old bicycle nerd, so I use a lot of grease—not thread lock—on various parts of my motorcycle. I find it helps me reach proper torque spec with less creaking, and it makes disassembly easier.

Here’s a photo to show the comparative size of the new assembly:

Here’s some pics to show other aspects of the assembly:

Moderators on this site whom I don’t believe have used or even seen IRL this unit have commented that they don’t think it looks as tidy as competing units that came to market sooner. I disagree.

While I know many here are fans of the LED horseshoe-shaped light strip on competing models, I think that particular technology “TRONS” it up a bit too much for my taste. the Euro Spec discrete taillight that comes with EVO-TECH’s kit looks like a proper motorcycle taillight, which is what I think bikes as stylish as the RNineT deserve.

Personal opinion.

Subtracting the customer-service component from my EVO-TECh experience, I would give this product a 9 out of 10. Adding EVO-TECH’s response to my rookie replay, I give it a 13.

The 3D billet bit on the back looks dope af IMO, and there were ZERO shortages, confusion or surprises.

Next up: a new Scrambler seat/rear fenderlet assembly with custom MPower inspired tri-stripe upholstery. Stay tuned.
post #2 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM

Bike: Classic
Garage
In my previous motorcycle (XSR700) i had a tail tidy from evotech.
Very good quality without any complaints.

R nine T blue planet 2017
post #3 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nice post! I have to say it does look neat and it's good to hear how pain-free the install is. Great to have another tail tidy option available to 9T pilots.

Any chance of a couple more photos showing the overall look?

Today I'll be mostly riding.....

2014 BMW R NineT

1979 Moto Guzzi MK1 Le Mans (950 conversion, proddy race engine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 03:25 PM

Bike: Racer
That looks properly OEM!
+1 for more photos giving an overall view.

To be honest I share your dislike of the flavour-of-the-month "TRON" tail tidies.
No matter how expensive they are, they still look like a 5 dollar Ebay LED strip glued on.
I actually like the OE LED indicators, but a smaller tail light (that works with 2017 lamp failure sensing) would be nice...
Dauphinais and Luiggi like this.

/// Motorrad
post #5 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 03:41 PM

Garage
Tron guy here enjoying my flavor of a lifetime. Giant pieces of useless plastic (bulb housing) scream cheap to me - not the machined metal with flawless LED lighting Daedalus, for example, offers. But I digress! Regardless, curious to see a picture from distance. This looks to be a nice solution if I ever want to sell the 9T and sell my tidy separately (since I refuse to put that surf board back on my bike).
63601 likes this.

2018 BMW R nineT Pure
Oakland, CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 06:07 PM

Garage
That's a great looking unit, thanks for sharing.
63601 likes this.

2014 R nineT "Classic"
Manly, hectic, ample and stylish, the warbling R nineT is total harmony with its plumage.
The dual exhaust creaks every blip ... hearing delight.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldyDave View Post
Nice post! I have to say it does look neat and it's good to hear how pain-free the install is. Great to have another tail tidy option available to 9T pilots.

Any chance of a couple more photos showing the overall look?
Indeed. I'll shoot the bike in side and 2/3 rear profile when I have some room in the garage tonight. Weather's been shite and I don't want to park my fussy german coupe in the drips.

Stay tuned.
post #8 of 44 Old 02-13-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gassit View Post
That looks properly OEM!
+1 for more photos giving an overall view.

To be honest I share your dislike of the flavour-of-the-month "TRON" tail tidies.
No matter how expensive they are, they still look like a 5 dollar Ebay LED strip glued on.
I actually like the OE LED indicators, but a smaller tail light (that works with 2017 lamp failure sensing) would be nice...
EVO-TECH's unit for '17-up US models checks all the boxes. no failure flashes, plug-and-ride with existing stock wire loom (once you figure out what the second redundant blanked wire is for), and the clear plastic OEM-style taillight which some people don't care for is 1/4 the size of the stock unit it replaces.

My roots are dirt bikes early and Harley for the previous 14 years, so I've seen my share of discrete OEM LED's on dual sport bikes, and more than my share of LED strips on Hogs.

Perhaps with that insight you can understand why I loathe the latter on expensive motorcycles.

Anyway, the companies that use LED strips have no shortage of customers, so I don't mind having the chat.

To own his each, as my drunk uncle used to say
Dauphinais likes this.
post #9 of 44 Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Bike: Racer
BTW, kudos for taking the plunge with the Evotech unit.
Up to this point I hadn't been able to find any decent pics of the install. Even the Evotech website is a bit light on photos.

/// Motorrad
post #10 of 44 Old 02-14-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not sure where my seat illustration went on this thread. BaldyDave, any tips?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page