After a couple months of poking around on this forum and holding various competing tail tidy kits in my hands, I rolled the dice on the only model I hadn’t seen in real life: Evo-Tech’s new unit. Dubbed by the company as fully plug-and-play, it comes with everything:
Molded ABS plastic undertray
Beautifully 3D CNC’ed billet alloy blinker bracket and tail light housing
New smaller, EU spec clear taillight, to replace the monstrosity that comes stock in US models
Two CNC’ed alloy plates: one for the underside of the plastic pan, and the other to hold the license plate
Here’s where I started with the project:
Not going to bore you with step-by-step how-to for this process, because more clever guys than me have already posted a hundred threads on the topic. Suffice to say I removed the seat, gutted the stock plastic bits, detached the various wire looms and removed all the salvageable components: namely my petite LED blinkers.
EVO-TECH’s website has a stunning instruction PDF that I downloaded to the iBooks on my iPad. Packed with few words, mostly illustrations and the occasional arrow to show direction or intent, it’s one of the nicest online manuals I’ve ever used, and I copy and art-direct photos for how-to manuals for a living.
Full disclosure: I suffered a panic attack mid-way though the process. I was unaware that the wire loom for taillight assemblies on BMW motorcycles feature TWO plugs for the taillight:
1 for the US spec taillight
1 for the Euro spec taillight
The latter plug has a blanker on the end so it isn’t readily identifiable as something I needed to play attention to.
An email to EVO-TECH staff via their website was easy enough, and two hours later (10:30pm PST) a nice UK early bird whose name escapes me called to talk me through the dilemma. Crisis averted, I went to bed, then got up 0700 PST this morning to finish the project.
Tips: don’t use nylon nuts to tighten against threads on bolts molded into plastic bits, like the backing plate on an LED taillight.
Use medium thread lock compound on the small Allen screws EVO-TECH supplies for holding the bracket. Their heads are 3mm Allen button types, and thread lock any stronger might cause you to strip the wrench holes. I’m an old bicycle nerd, so I use a lot of grease—not thread lock—on various parts of my motorcycle. I find it helps me reach proper torque spec with less creaking, and it makes disassembly easier.
Here’s a photo to show the comparative size of the new assembly:
Here’s some pics to show other aspects of the assembly:
Moderators on this site whom I don’t believe have used or even seen IRL this unit have commented that they don’t think it looks as tidy as competing units that came to market sooner. I disagree.
While I know many here are fans of the LED horseshoe-shaped light strip on competing models, I think that particular technology “TRONS” it up a bit too much for my taste. the Euro Spec discrete taillight that comes with EVO-TECH’s kit looks like a proper motorcycle taillight, which is what I think bikes as stylish as the RNineT deserve.
Subtracting the customer-service component from my EVO-TECh experience, I would give this product a 9 out of 10. Adding EVO-TECH’s response to my rookie replay, I give it a 13.
The 3D billet bit on the back looks dope af IMO, and there were ZERO shortages, confusion or surprises.
Next up: a new Scrambler seat/rear fenderlet assembly with custom MPower inspired tri-stripe upholstery. Stay tuned.