NineT for a beginner - BMW NineT Forum
User Tag List

71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
NineT for a beginner

Hello,

I am a beginner rider and while looking for a bike , i fell in love with the r nineT,
the style, power delivery and its rawness.

How would you rate this bike for a beginner, is it forgiving, enjoyable ,...

Appreciate your feedback .

Thanks
Zizo
jkmalo and Jussi like this.
post #2 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM

Garage
You will be getting a dozen different answers. I started riding again after 35 years, so was a beginner again. However, I had ridden extensively many years ago, so had the basics already ingrained in my brain. Bike is fine for me, as its well balanced and is only as fast as your right hand. On the other hand, if you have never ridden any bikes, the best thing you can do is take an MSF course, which also enables you getting your motorcycle license here in the US. (most states). A true beginner needs to learn the basics, and thats a good place to start. Once thats done, perhaps a motorcycle around 250-400 CC's to ride around for some time to get used to riding on the street, and in traffic. You could probably pick one of those up pretty cheap used. If you are ordering a NineT, its going to take a bit of time for it to come in. By that time, you will be more experienced and confident.

The NineT is very well balanced, but has some power.....good power thats manageable. It also is light relative to its engine size. Good luck in your choices, and ride safely.
Wongadon and zizo like this.
post #3 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizo View Post
Hello,

I am a beginner rider and while looking for a bike , i fell in love with the r nineT,
the style, power delivery and its rawness.

How would you rate this bike for a beginner, is it forgiving, enjoyable ,...

Appreciate your feedback .

Thanks
Zizo
It will treat you nice when you start, and challenge you a long time when you grow..
LowHorizon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 AM

It will be perfect, except you will be spoiled that it will be hard for you to find other bikes that will satisfy you if you start with "Too Nice" bike.

My first bike was a Ducati Monster 800 then I changed to Monster S4RS a month after.
These monsters are litter tougher than other bikes (if you don't have enough RPM, ducatis just want to die..) but I was ok after few weeks.
This boxer engine of R nine T is very generous and Nine T has very nice brake too.
So it will be just more than nice!!
FixedPulse likes this.

Last edited by ryan0708; 06-23-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: ...
post #5 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 AM

I'm a first time rider and Nine T owner. I haven't taken my riders course yet but intend to do so once the weather gets cooler. I know how to ride from friends bikes and I've listened to some podcasts and watched movies on beginner riding skills.

The bike is very forgiving but you do have to respect what it's capable of.

It's got a great amount of torque so you don't have to rev the heck out of it and possibly get yourself in sticky situations.

I wanted the best for my first bike and something that I could grow into. I'm also a pretty big guy (6'1" 215lbs) so the bike is very manageable.
post #6 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM

I'm also a first time rider, I don't know what got into me to interest about motorcycle. After researching, misordering and some unfortunate mistake. I know that i want R nine T. I cancelled the ordered of other bike (CTX1300 which will arrive this month) and go order for R nineT. The R nineT hasn't arrived yet.. i will get it hopefully by October. I don't think is will be too difficult to ride..

Now i still keep on learning taking courses and hoping that the bike will arrive soon before i ran out of cash on accessories and gear (already have three helmet, 4 jackets, 2 boots, 2 glove but no bike -_-")
I might consider go rent motorcycle and keep practicing while waiting for R nineT
R nineT for me is for city riding and may be some outer bound area mainly for coolness. If i really like riding i will buy another bike K1600 Bagger for longer distance trip, hopefully it will come out next year..
zizo likes this.

Last edited by firstime911; 06-23-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #7 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 11:53 AM

Garage
In my opinion, any bike that can easily wheelie and is expensive to drop is not a good beginner bike. If you need to have a NineT today then order it and buy a cheap beater to build some confidence on first. ****, by the time it arrives you could have a few months of experience.
rkevwill, 25PSi and zizo like this.
post #8 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 PM

Its a BMW and has ABS. So you surely get quality and feeling of safety. However starting out on 110Hp motorcycle that is close to 500Lb in weight and a BMW premium price for replacement parts is $%&ing stupid. That is my opinion and i approve it
rkevwill, Wongadon and zizo like this.
post #9 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM

I started riding with an MSF class and bought my first bike, an R1200R. Pulling out of the dealership on the new bike I had to have, I nearly went across the road and into a ditch. After two years and 10,000 miles I totaled the first bike and replaced it with a second R1200R which I totaled. I put 10,000 miles on the third R1200R before selling it and getting an R9t.

Let's assume you never have a wreck on any motorcycle. You're going to drop your first bike repeatedly. Being careful will not prevent this from happening. A lack of skills ensures it will happen. (Have valve cover guards installed before leaving the dealership.)

Despite that, you want the bike that caught your eye. You just don't want to go get a 500cc bike that you really don't want in the first place. I know the feeling.

The problem is that you are hurting yourself by choosing the larger bike as a first. By definition, large bikes are unwieldy and you're going to struggle to develop skills riding a bike you can't really control yet. With a smaller, lighter bike you'll quickly gain confidence, develop skills and be tossing the thing around much sooner.

Other people who have an R9t as a first bike will argue with me and say "I can control it. Not a problem." Ride 20,000 miles or 200,000 miles and get back to me. At that point you'll admit that you really couldn't manage the thing in the beginning. Yeah you could get from Point A to Point B without a major mishap most days but don't confuse that with being in control. With 25,000 miles over four or five years I consider myself a competent novice. I don't consider myself skilled.

If you can, get a used 250 or 500 for $3,000, ride it for six months and sell it for $3,000. I know you aren't in love with that $3,000 beater but it will be good for you.

To me the problem with an R9t as a first bike isn't that it has 110 horsepower but that it is a pretty large bike. A skilled rider has no problems riding it in a fluid fashion but for a new rider, it's really tough.

One bit of wisdom, if you do get an R9t as your first bike you will eventually wonder if it can do a wheelie, spin the rear tire in the corner under acceleration, etc. Let me assure you that it can do all of those things and if you are trying to learn how to do a wheelie on a 1200cc bike then you're as big a moron as I was.
post #10 of 88 Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Garage
Haha... We are bikers... If we where totally rational we would┤t.. Is it totally rational to start with a RNineT? No? So what? Its a great bike, he will have fun, and it will be safer then get an old one.. Its not the size that hurt people, it┤s speed.. And bad brakes..
1561, jkmalo, Mr. Bones and 2 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page