User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 04-27-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Bike: Classic
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rapid Bike EASY (AF Module)

I've got a 2018 R NineT Classic and have just placed an order for a set of Remus headers to go with my Akrapovic single silencer. As many (not all) would agree, when modifying the intake and or exhaust, something should really be done to assist fueling with the more free-flowing air / exhaust, especially given the Euro 4 bikes tend to run on the lean side due to emissions.

I've done a fair bit of reading across this and other forums regarding booster plugs, AF-Xied modules, Re-Maps and Piggy-back modules (AKA: PC5, RB, etc) and weighed up what would work best for me. Given I'm still well within my warranty period, I quickly ruled out the re-map and more complex piggy back modules, which left me with a Booster Plug or AF-Xied. After even more reading and weighing up both camps, I was leaning towards the AF-Xied side as I believe (from what I've read only) that the BP works initially, but is slowly adjusted out of the equation by the factory ECU. So I was set on the AF-Xied. Given I'd need a twin AF-Xied module for our boxer, the price for such a simple module was more that I was willing to pay. So after a little more searching around, I came across what I ended up purchasing, the Rapid Bike EASY!

The Rapid Bike Easy essentially works the exact same way the AF-Xied does, but in a much neater package and at around half the price. It's a simple plug and play device (easy to remove in warranty situations), no cutting, waterproof connectors, and an easy to follow guide stating the optimal settings for your bike.

I'm yet to use the module as I'm still waiting on the headers to arrive, but will report back once all done.

Below are a few photos of the unit. Also note the same module can be used on a number of other BMW models, including all 1200 series boxers through to 09-2018 S1000RR's.

If anyone's used one of these before, I'd be grateful if you'd chime in and let me know your opinions, findings, tips etc.. Or if people have used similar units that have any useful info - that would be great too.

Thanks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RapidBike02.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	121125   Click image for larger version

Name:	RapidBike01.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	121127   Click image for larger version

Name:	RapidBike03.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	121129  
hocks, Wharthog3405 and oguzbay like this.
post #2 of 55 Old 04-27-2019, 06:55 AM

Bike: Urban G/S
Garage
This looks a good solution at reasonable cost.

My understanding from reading is the 'easy' intercepts the O2 sensor output to fool the cpu into slightly richening the closed loop mixture. This shouldn't effect warm up (below 80 degree temp) and higher throttle and higher revs as these are outside closed loop operation.
However with use (100 mile or so) does this also richen the 'trim' values in the cpu so that open loop is then also made slightly richer?
If so I should get a slightly more drivable bike and may run a bit cooler engine temp, but no big hp gain. It may improve economy slightly due to better drivability. It may also have a slight detrimental effect on the 3-way cat efficiency.

Sounds just what Im after but would love to know if it works before purchasing. Ill be watching this thread for any feedback good or bad.
Wharthog3405 and oguzbay like this.

Hocks
RNineT Urban Gs
Rickman bsa
Ducati 900
honda vfr750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 55 Old 04-27-2019, 02:09 PM

Bike: Scrambler
Iíve had a rexxer remap on my ducati as well as the rapidbike evo. Rapidbike was probably the better of all the piggyback systems Iíve used prior which also included the bazzaz and powercommander, as it constantly adjust the values to adding/subtracting fuel. I havenít heard of this EASY module, pretty interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 04-28-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So prior to purchasing the module (can be had for AUD $250) I found an independent place in Sydney that had a 2017 Racer in and did a fair bit of before and after mapping of the RBE. It looks as though the owner of the Racer (I don't know him) had fitted a set of Remus headers and assumed the bike could cope, or perhaps fitted a booster plug. None of which was disclosed, nor did I think to ask at the time.

Here's a link for a 'before' dyno video. It's a facebook video so not sure if the link will work for everyone: https://www.facebook.com/DnACustomCy...0791636514130/
Comment for video:
Having fun with this new #bmwr9t on the #Dyno today, we did a stack of pre testing of the AFR readings at set 10/15/20/50% TPS settings using the #texatxb tool so we can see the ecu outputs and then carry out #dynoruns accordingly.
Now a lot of products make bold claims but the #rapidbikeeasy module backed it up with great fuel figures over the stock ecu.

Another video from the same place describing how they're mapping:
They state: "it’s a piggyback that tricks the ecu into thinking it’s getting 14.7afr but I fact it’s now getting 13.2. On an adaptive learning ecu it’s pretty cool"

Annoyingly they didn't post a follow up video, but did post the graphs (although not the best) on their facebook page.

Credit goes to DnA Custom Cycles
post #5 of 55 Old 04-28-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
More from their facebook page:

Credit goes to DnA Custom Cycles

Before and after fitting the rapidbike easy module. The solid middle white line on the graph is 13.2AFR (our target) you can see that before fitting we are in the hi 15’s and that’s why we have heavy heat signatures on the header pipes, now after the install and exact re runs we are pretty dam happy hitting target.
Having fun with this new #bmwr9t on the #Dyno today, we did a stack of pre testing of the AFR readings at set 10/15/20/50% TPS settings using the #texatxb tool so we can see the ecu outputs and then carry out #dynoruns accordingly.
Now a lot of products make bold claims but the #rapidbikeeasy module backed it up with great fuel figures over the stock ecu.

Feedback from the owner:
“I’m happy to report that the bike is like night and day compared to when I dropped it to you....
If I’m honest I didn’t realise how snatchy it actually was before.
It’s so much smoother than before & purrs in every gear at every rpm.
Happy camper. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RB01.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	121167   Click image for larger version

Name:	RB02.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	121169  

Last edited by Gemballa1980; 04-28-2019 at 04:39 AM.
post #6 of 55 Old 04-29-2019, 04:23 AM

Bike: Urban G/S
Garage
It would be good to know how tricky the install is.
Does the tank need to come off to attach cables etc
How many connections are there, just the two O2 sensors or more such as a power and earth.
Where are the O2 sensor connectors

Im assuming the box can fit under the seat in the tray.

Hocks
RNineT Urban Gs
Rickman bsa
Ducati 900
honda vfr750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 55 Old 04-29-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hocks View Post
It would be good to know how tricky the install is.
Does the tank need to come off to attach cables etc
How many connections are there, just the two O2 sensors or more such as a power and earth.
Where are the O2 sensor connectors

Im assuming the box can fit under the seat in the tray.
I haven't done it yet (waiting on headers), but had a brief look and on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being hard) I would put it as a 1.5.

Because they're in-line connectors, it's just a matter of unplugging the O2 sensor, plugging in a replacement plug, then plugging the original o2 sensor back into another plug. Repeat on both sides. So there's two plugs on each side.

The unit gets its power / earth etc via the plugs, so no need to tap into power / earth. 4 plugs and that's it.

I managed to route the cables up along the frame completely out of site without having to remove the tank. Just use black cable ties to secure them.

The unit is pretty small so will easily fit under the seat.

If the headers don't arrive by the weekend, I'll fit the unit up anyway and take a few photos for the thread.
hocks likes this.
post #8 of 55 Old 04-30-2019, 09:14 PM

So one would need to purchase two units for the 9T or do Rapid have a "BMW Cam-head R1200" package?
post #9 of 55 Old 05-01-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Just the one module required.. the cable / plugs that came with the R NineT kit covers both sides..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190501_151010_1556687746868.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	121243  
post #10 of 55 Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 AM

Cool! So they are adjusting the AFR of both cylinders with a single unit, as opposed to AF-Xied which requires a separate unit for each.

Certainly makes it EASY!