User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Bike: Classic
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rear brake performance

I, and others from the search results I got, think our rear brake sucks.

I've changed pads and run with the ABS running and disabled for comparison. What I found was that the rear pads were the biggest problem. With the OE pads, rear braking was lousy requiring a LOT of pedal pressure even with the ABS disabled.

I first tried Galfer FD186G1651 which are Kevlar and I can only currently find on UK sites. They were an improvement but not enough so I next tried Galfer FD186G1371 which are a sintered/ceramic HH pad.

The Galfer FD186G1371 pads genuinely work. They give a "normal" feeling rear brake that actually does something with reasonable pedal pressures. They appear to be at least as easy on the disc surfaces as the OE pads.

The ABS still sucks but works better with the reduced line pressures required with the better pads. The ABS unit seems to not like the high line pressures we send to it "standing" on the pedal trying to get something to happen with the OE pads.

This thread is to get this topic out of the "ASC on the 'classic' Nine T" thread we were drifting badly...
kebo, MotoGoogler and oguzbay like this.

2015 R Nine T "Classic" - Function, no Fluff
post #2 of 24 Old 02-27-2017, 02:25 PM

Garage
Thanks for the new thread. I'm trying the Galfers out.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-27-2017, 04:37 PM

Likewise I'll be doing the same to compare with my EBC HH's when they come around for replacement (they offered an improvement over the stock pads)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevyn Paige View Post
I'm trying the Galfers out.
Let us know what you think of them. Good, bad, or indifferent.

post #5 of 24 Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderk View Post
Likewise I'll be doing the same to compare with my EBC HH's when they come around for replacement (they offered an improvement over the stock pads)
Should be an interesting comparison. It's been quite while since I've used EBC's.

post #6 of 24 Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 AM

If anybody is interested in the U.K, they're available from Calsport via Ebay and they are listed as a fitment for the BMW K1300 series.

The product description quotes the same pad reference as JohnT gives above.

Last edited by BaldyDave; 02-28-2017 at 05:27 AM. Reason: eBay link removed
post #7 of 24 Old 02-28-2017, 03:57 AM

I have Galfer pads from Calsport on my GS - work well and would recommend them, although I obviously don't use the rear brake enough (and have no problem with the rear on the Scrambler) as I have only changed the rear pads twice in last 100,000 miles

2017 BMW RnineT Racer S;
2001 BMW R1150GSA;
1998 Suzuki DR350S;
1990 BMW K1;
1978 Laverda Jarama;
1977 Honda Camino;
1962 AJS 14CSR 250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 AM

I don't think there's a right and a wrong way in terms of rear brake usage, it's just what you're used to and how you ride.

I used to use the rear brake alot mid-corner when I raced 125's to get the bike to hold a tighter line and lessen the chance of a high side on corner exit (bearing in mind what I was riding had no power till 9,500rpm, max power at 10,500 rpm and then nothing at 11,500 rpm, so you had a gnat's widget of a powerband to play with) and I transferred that habit to the road. So I trail brake a lot with the rear by habit and that's where I have the problem with the ABS, it cuts in obtrusively and prevents me riding like I want to.

If I can get more rear brake grip for less pressure as JohnT suggests, I should hopefully be able to ride as I want with less ABS intrusion.

Horses for courses
oguzbay likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 AM

My rear pads were done at 10,000km, but I use them a lot as grew up on dirt bikes. On road I use the rear to set the bike upright in corners.
The key with rear brakes is "feel" which the OE setup is a bit lacking. Changing to Rizoma rearsets/pedals gave more feel.

9T Sold May 2017

Remus Headers, Kineo wheels, Matris Suspension, BoosterPlug, Rizoma+

Retired in past decade: R1150GS, R1200GSA (2006), R1200GSA(2009), R1200GS(2015), Husqvarna SM610, Yamaha WR420
post #10 of 24 Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Garage
I feel the same way. it all depends how you use them.

So far my attitude is that I bought a beamer, So that means that all the equipment should be better than a harley
I was also taught (when I was getting a license ) that always use both brakes and for the ones that have a hard time doing this then maybe "when braking" they should just practice hitting the rear first when possible. just to realize and get used to having a rear brake.
So that was the instructors teaching.
Not sure if it worksed but I gotta tell you I will wear out that rear before I wear out the front :-)
As far as quality ? Sorry I have to wait till I replace them to tell you if the stock pads were sucky :-)

its just the way I am. I need somethign to compare them to. ON MY BIKE not on other bikes that I wont ride and care.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page