BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Then I went down to Rijeika.

This was my favourite town to visit. It's not the most beautiful (it's a harbour town with a port that smells as bad as others) but it has the most authentic atmosphere of the towns I visited in Croatia. Almost no tourists, lively streets (especially in the evening) and bars everywhere full of Croatians (many of them young). I spent two days there and the first one was a wine festival.

I took the opportunity to taste Croatian wine (quite spicy), cheese and cold cuts.
Watch Plant Tableware Food Gesture

Water Cloud Sky Blue Beach

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After the wine, the restaurants and the beach, I went to Pula then on the island of Pag to see the beach of Zrce where there are the electro parties... But it was the pre-season 😅

Then I went down the coast to Split. The city has nothing special, the historical centre is an old roman domain and there are good restaurants (outside the centre).
Sky Building Window Public space Door

Shorts Temple Building Tree Travel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I took the opportunity to take a boat trip to the nearby islands.

Very expensive (110€) and I met an American named Jeremy with whom I spent the day and other American tourists. He is a professor in criminology, rather eccentric, we discussed the American elections, cultural differences and clichés about French and American people. He wondered if all French women shaved under their arms.

I told him: "Relax, this cliché is due to a photo of a French actress (Sophie Marceau) but French women shave like all women. He was also shocked that Europeans are not circumcised and that one of his friends wanted to see an uncircumcised penis. He told me about it several times, it was a bit weird.

At the end of the day he asked me for a picture of my 🐓 to send to his friend, I said no and he insisted. It was quite awkward 😅. So much for the anecdote of the strange guy asking for a picture of my 🐓 😄

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I take again the road towards Dubrovnik. On the way I discover a sympathetic spot to make a photograph to go there it is necessary to pass by a dirt track.
Sky Cloud Tire Wheel Ecoregion

Not very complicated except for the last section which is a rather severe slope with a lot of gravel. The climb is ok, but the descent is tricky with the weight of the bike (35-40 Kg of material). On the way down, the Metzeler Karoo Street did a good job.

I go back down on a tarmac road. At the bottom I come across a barrier and I see cars queuing to get on.... I drive 2 km and then stop. There must be something up there for all these people to queue up. I check it on google maps and BINGO! There's a glass bridge up there but you have to pay to get on it. Not for me today, I took the dirt track to catch the tarmac road and went up without paying (thanks to my Scrambler! 😄 ).
Jeans Shoe Plant Leg Wood

Water Sky Slope Terrain Plant

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
535 Posts
Sounds like an incredible adventure. Thanks for sharing it with us. Stay safe.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had forgotten, before going to Zadar I had found a nice spot on Instagram to visit near Bosnia, a small lake formed by a deep chasm with a church on top. Well, I'm here to visit, let's GO.

The ground is more and more arid and dry as we go inland and I have to be careful with dogs and goats on the road in the highlands 😅 .

When I arrived on the spot there was a little bit of people passing by: bikers, bikes and a few families in cars but not many people and only Croatians and neighbouring countries.

Water Water resources Plant community Plant Natural landscape

Sky Plant Building Grass Landscape

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I told myself I was going to take a dip but I don't dare in front of everyone. After taking my pictures, I get back on the bike but I tell myself that I didn't come here just to take pictures and be shy like that!

I take out my swimming shorts and my microfiber beach towel, I change and I go.
I start by getting my feet wet and there! 🥶 🥶 🥶

She is FREEZING! The weather was stormy, 35°C (95°F), very heavy and the water must have been 5°C (65°F). The thermal shock was violent. However, I couldn't go, I went into the water shaking like a Vib**** I managed to get completely immersed and swam 5m towards the centre of the "mini lake" and I started to feel my toes.

At this point I think to myself that I don't know how my body will react if I go to the centre and if someone will be able to rescue me ^^ . So I swam in there, mission accomplished, and swam to the shore.

Water Plant Sky Tree People in nature

As I was leaving, one of the GS bikers was staring at me, I had the impression that he liked the fact that I took the challenge of swimming in this icy water 😁

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
On the way there I had seen an old tank on the side of the road. After the swim and on the way to Zadar I thought I would take a picture with this tank which was mainly there in memory of the Yugoslavian war.

As I was wearing my loyal Hamilton Khaki Fiels Mechanical ❤.

A military style watch, I thought it was a good time to take a photo with the watch + military nato strap + tank + my Scrambler. I thought the match of the three was excellent = photo + instagram post ^^

Watch Hand Analog watch White Black

At this moment a group of 3 bikers pass on the road and turn around to take a picture too.

One of them climbs on the tank to act like a kid in front of his buddies XD.

Tank Self-propelled artillery Combat vehicle Sky Vehicle

It was a funny moment 😄 We said goodbye and they left. I left a bit later, time to drink a bit of water and to re-equip myself.

Then I went to Zadar then Split (where the pervert was!) and finally to Dubrovnik!

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
535 Posts
On the way there I had seen an old tank on the side of the road. After the swim and on the way to Zadar I thought I would take a picture with this tank which was mainly there in memory of the Yugoslavian war.

As I was wearing my loyal Hamilton Khaki Fiels Mechanical ❤.

A military style watch, I thought it was a good time to take a photo with the watch + military nato strap + tank + my Scrambler. I thought the match of the three was excellent = photo + instagram post ^^

View attachment 148145
Great trip, thanks for sharing the images.

Love the watch, don't see many of those anymore. Got one about thirty years ago, have to find it upstair is a drawer somewhere. Glad to see you wearing yours.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Going to Dubrovnik :
Mirror Sky Water Plant Vehicle

And scrambling on the coast 😎:
Cloud Sky Plant community Ecoregion Automotive tire

And arriving at Dubrovnik :
Mirror Car Tire Sky Vehicle

Dubrovnik is known for its city walls and... being used as a set in Games of Thrones. Well, the city centre (within the walls) is really cute but it's Disney land.
The city centre lives by and for tourism and it smells too much for my taste. The restaurants are too expensive for what it is, the access to the ramparts is paying (I did not pay to grill like a hotdog under the sun on the ramparts and then pay 5€ a small bottle of water XD.

Some pictures of the city :
Water Sky Daytime Property Building

Sky Wall Plant Travel Landmark

Plant Property Infrastructure Flowerpot Flower

Cat Felidae Carnivore Road surface Small to medium-sized cats

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
On the other hand there are some nice swimming spots in the old town but I travel with my Nine T to have the freedom to go where I want when I want and I took the opportunity to go to relax in the beaches around Dubrovnik ^^.

What I really enjoyed, and it was one of my best experiences during this trip, was the group kayak tour along the coast from Dubrovnik with a guide. The guide's name was Denis.

Well, it was my first time in a kayak and I was not very good but I ended up doing well ^^. Denis is an excellent story teller, he told us a lot of stories about the city, how it had been attacked from time to time but never destroyed. He also told us the story of his father who fought to defend Dubrovnik when Montenegro and Bosnia Herzegovina were attacked in 1991, even though the city has no military post and no warships. There were only civilians, women, children and some firemen. I felt how disgusted he was by this period...
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Membranophone

We continued the walk with a break in a cove to eat and swim with snorkels.
Water Boat Water resources Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Paddle

He also told us some stories about the nearby luxury properties with jokes and the story of the cursed island where you can find naked people now (I won't spoil this story but I would never set foot on this island 😅).
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Light

I ended my stay in Croatia on this note. It was a breathtaking experience that I highly recommend if you ever come there.
Water Sky Cloud Sunset Sunlight

Now it's time to go straightforward to Greece! Well... that's what I wanted to do 😆.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,000 Posts
Thanks for those Dubrovnik pics, I got stopped out to visit, because my buddy filled his 1290 KTM with diesel fuel (gas station colors are different) It took us 4 hours to clean that mess, so we only saw it from high above. And the Japanese tourist busses, of course. Have fun in Greece - certainly one of the most beautiful places on planet Earth! Keep those great pictures coming!

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi everyone!
Sorry for the delay, I was too lazy to start writing again and also had things to do in my spare time XD.
Sky Plant Mirror Vehicle Cloud

That's it, I'm leaving Croatia with a little bit of a twinge in my heart after spending a month there. I really liked the time I spent in this country, a very beautiful nature, SUPERB roads to ride, pretty girls and a very peaceful atmosphere without the tourism of the big summer holidays.

In the morning I went to the hospital in Dubrovnik to do a quick Covid test, not to go back to Montenegro but to enter Greece. Come on! I have 48 hours to enter Greece! To enter Montenegro and Albania there is no need for a test, no mask there and people are doing fine without these restrictions of freedom...
The goal is to get back to Greece around 6pm (Greek time).

Before crossing the border I stopped at a petrol station to fill up and remove the GoPro.

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Traveller's tip for crossing borders: uninstall the GoPro or at least lower the camera so that the customs officer doesn't get the impression that you are being filmed. This will prevent the customs officer from getting offended and it will save you time and even money (especially in countries with a reputation for corrupt police officers ^^.

A BMW Mottorad dealer in Chambery, France warned me about the corrupt police in Montenegro and that he had to pay 100 dollars to get through. He has a bitter memory of it.

For my part, the border crossing went very well: "Hello Sir! Papers please... Where do you go ?... Ok, have a good journey sir! "

The coast in Montenegro looks like the Croatian coast but less nice I think. The urbanism is less well managed. There are too many villas, hotels, springs and it denatures too much the coast.

To cross the bay of Kotor I took a ferry in extremis (but there are some every 15-20min for less than 5 euros).

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Water Water resources Azure Sky Mountain

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I noticed that there were many policemen on the side of the road along the coast. In order not to get caught and to pay an increased fine "of tourist" ^^ I drove quietly behind the cars.
Land vehicle Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Infrastructure

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Around noon I stopped at a super market to eat something and there I see on my mobile that I exceeded my package and that I have no more data! I'll have to finish the crossing of Montenegro and Albania with the offline maps (well, it's the 29th of June and on the 1st of July my package is back to 70Gb but I had to pay 50€ for this overage ^^' (excluding EU)).
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Fuel tank

A fueling before crosssing border and I arrived quickly in Albania. No problem to cross the border again.

Direction Greece before the night through the northern border.

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Scrambler
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well, the road to the mountains of the south-east of Albania was a calvary.

Many radar controls by the police so I preferred to drive behind the cars, at the speed limit, without overtaking. The roads are limited to 50, 70 and 80 km/h, only straight lines and it is at least 35°C (=95°F). But I need at least 80km/h to have an airflow that starts to refresh me ^^'

Well, after 200km I stop at a petrol station to fill up my tank and I told myself that I would pay for everything with my visa premiere card... Bad idea ^^

In Albania almost everything is paid in cash. The pump attendant told me that he only takes cash but I don't have any. The local currency is the LEK and there are few ATM. The attendant was nice and told me another station that takes credit cards.

If you go to Albania, you should know that the GigaOil gas station network takes credit cards. It is also possible to pay in euros by negotiating but the exchange rate will be bad. During all the crossing of Albania I had to refuel at GigaOil.
I continue the road, arriving in Tirana, I have the biggest heat stroke of my life. The 9T was over 140°C (=284°F), the "fast" road was totally under construction, I couldn't pass between the cars, I was sweating like crazy and I didn't have the map of Tirana on Maps (because of no DATA).

Well, once past the capital, finally a highway at 110km/h! It refreshes me ^^ . It's funny on the side of the highway I saw young people walking and guys waiting for cars to pass to run across.

There was one in a suit with a briefcase, black hair and maybe a moustache (I can't remember exactly). He looked like Borat XD.

On the road I also found a manhole cover without the plate of course XD
I dropped my helmet at the stop when I got to the mountains and the Gopro came off. Luckily I brought some stuff to fix it but I don't have any video of my time in Albania and that's a shame. I will only post the pictures I took with my Olympus and phone.

Here I arrived at Lake Ohrid :
Tire Sky Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

Given the quality of the surroundings it must be a rather touristy place.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts