BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker here, posting here for the first time. I bought this 2017 Pure brand new (first new vehicle I've ever owned BTW!) in June 2018. The day I picked it up I was caught in a huge storm on the way home, literally the worst weather I've ever ridden in. So much for that new bike clean.

I'll be adding photos of the mods and add-ons made over the last few years shortly! I've had plenty of ideas from this forum as well as some of my own personal additions to make the bike my own, as well as setting it up for different purposes.

Cheers,
Eden.

Stock as a rock, after a clean:

Bar-end mirrors, valve cover protectors, knee pads, Ram mount, and tail tidy:

Competition Werkes slip-on to show off that single sided swingarm:

Playing with the idea of blacking it out. Turned out to be a bad idea as the plastidip wore through on these high contact area parts. Would need to be anodised for best results:

Custom designed and hand made (by yours truly) leather seat bag/hump:

Blacked out without bar-ends + headlight ring - pillion subframe:

Paddock stand for servicing now that factory warranty has run out:

A day in the mountains with the better half (pillion unfortunately!):

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,958 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome all! I'm a huge fan of the Pure too, I've been tempted by some other bikes over the last few years, but this one just has everything I need and nothing superfluous - just as BMW intended.

At the moment I'm giving it a touring 'makeover' as I've got some LSL coming up later in the year and plan on doing a big road trip. Pics to come.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the welcome all! I'm a huge fan of the Pure too, I've been tempted by some other bikes over the last few years, but this one just has everything I need and nothing superfluous - just as BMW intended.

At the moment I'm giving it a touring 'makeover' as I've got some LSL coming up later in the year and plan on doing a big road trip. Pics to come.
I'd to read more about your touring makeover, as I'm currently in the process of planning a similar endeavour for my Eu5 Classic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd to read more about your touring makeover, as I'm currently in the process of planning a similar endeavour for my Eu5 Classic.
I'll get some pics up as soon as I'm finished - it's opening a can of worms when you start thinking about what you 'need' to carry. Not so far over my budget yet, but getting there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pics of what I've put on for carrying things - SW-Motec tank bag, Unit Garage soft panniers, Puig windscreen (not a huge amount better, but some difference):

And mounting system for Rotopax fuel and water containers I made which is also a nice flat surface for a yet to be procured bag to hold tent etc.

I had to relocate the rear indicators to the license plate holder so they didn't foul on the panniers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, one thing I'll mention for those of you liking the SW-Motech tank bag - it blocks access to the ignition key. Kinda annoying, and if you slide it right back on the mount, you then can't release the locking mechanism to remove the bag from the tank. Poor design. To remedy this I slipped a rubber block between the locking mechanism and the bag when fitting it together. This raised the bag by about 12 mm and allowed me to access the key. You might notice it looks higher in the pics.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for sharing these, a lovely job !

I sort of wanted to mount a top box on the passenger seat to avoid having a nasty looking rack around when I do not need the box itself, but I couldn't find anything readily available.

Are those bags any good ? They do look the part. How do they mount ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for sharing these, a lovely job !

I sort of wanted to mount a top box on the passenger seat to avoid having a nasty looking rack around when I do not need the box itself, but I couldn't find anything readily available.

Are those bags any good ? They do look the part. How do they mount ?
I faced the same conundrum with the passenger seat, but designing something strong enough to clamp over the seat proved difficult. The mount I made takes only a couple of minutes to remove as it uses the same mounting bolts as the pillion subframe.

The bags mount using a frame that bolts directly to the frame on the underside of the seat. Link to the kit here. So far I've just used them commuting to work, so not fully loaded, but they secure firmly and are pretty heavy duty material. Only time will tell on the longevity, but the design is nice for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the first time I've seen that fuel and water cans setup on any motorcycle, let alone an R9T. Nice job on those! (y)
Thanks Tim, glad you like them.

Rotopax do have their own mounting systems but not only were they crazy expensive for what they were, they also didn't fit that nicely anywhere on the R9T. My one was made from scrap material I had sitting in the shed - cost $0 other than a few hours of time

I'm not planning on crossing much desert, but always be prepared for anything, especially in remote locations in Australia.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts