BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran testing today with new parts and tires for LaB2V 2019. 5,100 miles on bike. Bent front wheel in several spots after many rides abusing the alloy wheels. I took 2 minutes off my time with the new parts. Will need to save up for woody’s wheels and fix a few other problems like a pancaked exhaust. Rode home 32~ miles on flat front. The bike is indestructible. I was racing a dirt bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures of the aftermath.

Wunderlich skid plate was brand new as well as Wunderlich crash bars, new TKC 80 tires front and rear, less than 100 miles on the rear, front maybe 300, Wunderlich oil cooler guard, Pro taper Evo Adventure high bars, Garmin Montana 680T, several ram mounts, 3 SAE connectors, Countdown roll chart holder, ALT rider headlight protection, Wunderlich enduro rear fender, bark busters storm hand guards, Custom mounts for rear turn signal’s and license plate, Givi tank bag

Maybe more? 🤷‍♂️ I don’t remember.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had a r1200gsa rack and givi box that broke

took the bike drag racing with tkc80 #4020 for time slip

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It got me on both sides of the exhaust... I had a top speed of 34.2 mph according to the garmin before it died. And that was through the technical part of the trail. The easier portion where I knocked off 2 minutes of time was only 32 top speed. The bmw salesman said to get to 11 minutes on that section and he can do 50mph sliding it around on a Husqvarna 501 so that’s what I’m trying to work towards competing with...

I know many people are interested in gp shifting and this is how I swapped to it for my bike.

thanks for taking time to read my post and replying 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheel is holding air now thanks to a hammer. I need to do a little more work to straighten the worst bend though.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is amazing! I had a similar idea and posted on the main forum if anyone had taken a pure and turned it into an off-road capable scrambler. I did it instead with an Urban G/S, very happy so far, but tomorrow will be my first foray off-road. Good job on your bike, sir!

I'm in LA, too, just looked up the LAB2V and seriously considering it. You aren't doing the BMW Motorcycles of Burbank off-road ride tomorrow are you? Would be awesome if we had two R9Ts there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. My advice is to get a feel for traction and how the bike responds in the dirt for a few rides before you push it. Even if I take a short amount of time off from riding dirt I give myself a little bit to refamiliarize myself with how the bike acts.

the bike should probably exceed your abilities off-road as well. I can do some extremely hairy stuff that I don’t know how I complete and the bike eats it up and asks for more. I completely buy into it’s not the bike it’s the rider. Even ground clearance has never caused and issue... but then again I’m not claiming rock waterfalls and hopping logs but I’ve gone through ruts that would swallow a Jeep. Had to ride a spiderweb down the where the terrain evened out again.

im not doing the Burbank ride. I didn’t even know about it. My tire lost air pressure again in the front so I was working on hammering it more. It’s pretty rippled all the way around. Continental tire said they should warranty both front and rear tires so hopefully I can fix the wheel and ride it vs buying a new wheel straight away.

Speed > bike preservation. Haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of the warped skid plate was brand new before the ride.

Of the wheel... any idea how to get that to seal?

@optimoto how did the ride go?

·
Registered
93 Posts
They took us on Libre Sawmill Rd - pretty tame, but spectacular views of Antelope Valley and Mojave. I kept wanting to push it - the bike felt amazing off-road. Better than I expected, and now I'm really excited to take it on the BDR. But probably a good thing I didn't push it - one guy on an F800 ended up flicking the throttle and went off the road, down the mountain! He was fine, and they got his bike up thanks to help from a passing land rover.

Agree with you that the bike is far more capable than I am. Looking forward to seeing how much abuse it can take.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@shaneturban I haven’t tried bead sealer. I think I’ll take the tire off to get a better look to try and fix it. thank you. I didn’t know they made bead sealer... I had similar ideas with other products.

@optimoto I also want to do the bdr and have the tracks in my gps already. Someone had a pretty good r1200gs fall on Lab2v some year aka as the gs incident. I think it took 12 people to lift it up. Haha. I guess you just gotta ride within your abilities and even then mistakes can happen.

I’ve been working on a different project bike getting it more roadworthy. After servicing and fixing some minor niggles I’m going to work on a barn find r75/5 I bought recently. I’ll come back to the R9T later probably if I can’t fix the wheel in a few minutes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m reminded of a guy that used his 1150GSs for a woods race alongside little KTM 2 strokes and the like. On one hand it did better than the competitors expected. On the other, he had to spend thousands to put his bike back together.

It wasn’t the last time he tested the bike like that. All I kept thinking as I read of his exploits was, “it must be nice to have a wallet that deep”. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’d like to see that if you have a link! 🙂

I don’t think the bike has anything really wrong other than cosmetic. (Besides the wheel) it was far from the first time I took it off, but I never pushed it quite as hard. I know it’s not the tool for the job, but It’s a fun tool. I also plan to try racing it at an enduro sometime. I go back and forth whether or not I should put custom triple trees and beefy fork and shock. I don’t want to waste money to jack the geometry up. Time will tell what I do. I don’t want to buy wheels if I’m going to swap forks. I’m not sure the best trade off?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Not exactly my style but I look at other builds for brainstorming how to skin the cat. I’m sure some members will like the work that went into this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts