BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I swung by OE Tuning with the intention of buying their MyGenius device and map. Unfortunately they only had the plug for the round ODB and not the square one found on the 2017's. They're going to contact the company that makes the device and get one for me but in the meantime I wanted to check and see what everyone else is using for the 2017's.

I prefer to use a device that I can flash on my own vs a piggy back system or sending my ECU in

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update on this, Bren is finishing up working on a tune for the Euro 4 ECU and it should be completed soon. I'll be purchasing one as soon as it's released

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quick update on this, Bren is finishing up working on a tune for the Euro 4 ECU and it should be completed soon. I'll be purchasing one as soon as it's released
I have a 2015 and have Brens' latest flash. I'm tuned for 93 octane with catless hdrs. They also set me up with no closed throttle fuel shut off and reduced engine braking. I mention this in case you want to discuss options with them. I realize our ECUs are different. They might be able to make it not throw a code with the flapper servo disconnected. Worth asking. I really like how it runs with their flash. No fuel shut off removes the glitch you have opening the throttle from closed and the reduced engine braking I really like. It picks up throttle very nicely on corner entry after rolling in with the throttle closed. No "glitch" anymore. Dramatic difference in how the engine runs and how well mannered it is. It also doesn't pop and bang thru the exhaust anymore once it's warmed up. That occurs with the OE mapping during the fuel on-off and off-on transitions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2015 and have Brens' latest flash. I'm tuned for 93 octane with catless hdrs. They also set me up with no closed throttle fuel shut off and reduced engine braking. I mention this in case you want to discuss options with them. I realize our ECUs are different. They might be able to make it not throw a code with the flapper servo disconnected. Worth asking. I really like how it runs with their flash. No fuel shut off removes the glitch you have opening the throttle from closed and the reduced engine braking I really like. It picks up throttle very nicely on corner entry after rolling in with the throttle closed. No "glitch" anymore. Dramatic difference in how the engine runs and how well mannered it is. It also doesn't pop and bang thru the exhaust anymore once it's warmed up. That occurs with the OE mapping during the fuel on-off and off-on transitions.
Great tips! thank you. The closed throttle fuel shut off sounds like a no brainer and i definitely want to remove the flapper since I'll be going to catless headers as well

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Great tips! thank you. The closed throttle fuel shut off sounds like a no brainer and i definitely want to remove the flapper since I'll be going to catless headers as well
Hi OCR9T,

I am in SoCal too and was curious about: RnineT - BMW Motorcycles - Tuning what do they use for products i.e Power Commander / AT 300?
I'd definitely like to check them out. I have a 2016 so we older model R9T's have a little more tune-ability at the moment with the older EURO 3 systems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm leaning toward a Hilltop remap as they have some good feedback, not visible to BMW tech's when plugged into the mother ship, and also has the ability to re-adjust to changes such as different exhaust configurations.

Hilltop Motorcycles 01455 610721 or 07449 006300
After doing my homework, taking advice and reading online reviews, I went for a Hilltop remap, and I'm now very glad I did.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi OCR9T,

I am in SoCal too and was curious about: RnineT - BMW Motorcycles - Tuning what do they use for products i.e Power Commander / AT 300?
I'd definitely like to check them out. I have a 2016 so we older model R9T's have a little more tune-ability at the moment with the older EURO 3 systems.

Thanks!
They have a few options. They can flash your ECU directly but if the tune ever gets erased you will need them to flash it again. They also sell two devices (MyGenius and an Adroid device) pre loaded with their tunes. Using those devices you can flash it any time you want.

The owner has a 2014 R9T as well (it was at the shop when I was there). He knows what he's doing and the tune would probably be great on your bike. He also tuned Roland Sands' R9T. If the plug worked for my new ECU I would have bought the MyGenius and been done with it

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
They have a few options. They can flash your ECU directly but if the tune ever gets erased you will need them to flash it again. They also sell two devices (MyGenius and an Adroid device) pre loaded with their tunes. Using those devices you can flash it any time you want.

The owner has a 2014 R9T as well (it was at the shop when I was there). He knows what he's doing and the tune would probably be great on your bike. He also tuned Roland Sands' R9T. If the plug worked for my new ECU I would have bought the MyGenius and been done with it
Thanks brother if the insight... I'll give them a call after vacation. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
2017 R9T Racer (USA) Hilltop tune

So finally received and re-installed my ECU (Hilltop Reflash), below is my experience/opinions/observations.

2017 R9T Racer (USA Model) with a (BMSMP) ECU

+* The only control, was using the same Dyno machine (USA dealer) and same tech for the Dyno runs.* (Ideally would have been nice to do back to back runs on same day, timeframe, however just not feasible as I had to ship off ECU…….USA -> UK -> USA.......was about a 25 day total process). Unfortunately did not do a base stock run before full exhaust system upgrade.

+ Pre-flash:*My Racer had full aftermarket exhaust system (Headers/exhaust, flapper deleted), but with STOCK Air Filter and stock Charcoal canister installed. Running Shell (premium) fuel

+ Best results for that day were (Pre-flash): *

MAX Power @ 84.24 and MAX TRQ @ 62.70

**Interesting to note, that other folks base stock R9T DYNO #’s (via Hilltop thread) seem/appear to be much higher than my initial #’s.*

+ Post-flash (Hilltop ECU Flashed):* Racer had same full exhaust system however replaced stock air filter with a SPRINT P08 Air Filter and removed Charcoal canister.* Running Shell fuel (premium).* Had completed roughly 155 miles before heading into Dyno.

+ Best results for the day (Hilltop ECU Flashed):

MAX Power @ 85.79 (+ 1.55 increase) and MAX TRQ @ 66.51 (+3.81 increase)

** Data/Graph does show a decent increase in MID-RANGE POWER, so that’s a positive note.

+ (HT Flash) No change in ENG TEMP yet, noted as it appears to be running the same.

+ (HT Flash) No change in FUEL usage as it appears to also be running the same.

+ (HT Flash) No discernible change in exhaust sound/pop/etc.

+ (HT Flash) No change felt in engine braking, roll-on’s, roll-off’s, throttle response.

While the #’s do show a small bit of an increase, I honestly can tell no difference by the “butt” dyno.* This also may have been tainted as I’ve been riding my Ducati while the Racer was down for the whole past month waiting on the ECU return. *

**NOTE: My past experience with ECU flashes, has been positive.* When I “flashed” my Ducati (utilizing a different vendor, USA based) earlier this year, the difference was completely noticeable regarding engine/throttle response, powerband etc…………Dyno and butt dyno corresponded and validated this as well.

** Their (Hilltop) customer service was an interesting experience……….or rather lack there of.* (A whole other saga, regarding payment and the return shipping process).*

SO…….I’ll continue to ride and see if anymore ECU adaption/learning takes place or throttle response/powerband changes noted or felt.* Honestly if I didn’t have the data (Dyno runs) to note the change, I’d know none the wiser that my ECU was flashed….…..thus the verdicts still out for me in deciding if ultimately the HT tune was worth it or not……..

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
****. Thanks for that info. definitely drastically different than what Hilltop advertises their gains as. I'm still skeptical about it working at all on a 2017. One can almost assume the small gain in HP and Torque would have been achieved from the air filter alone

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is it possible that most of those reporting good results with the HT reflash are in the UK or elsewhere in Europe? Is the stock tune different in the EU vs N. America?

** I'm in Canada and perfectly happy with my Scrambler; it has one of the best out-of-the-crate fueling setups that I've ever owned, and I have little interest in messing around with it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So finally received and re-installed my ECU (Hilltop Reflash), below is my experience/opinions/observations.

+ Best results for the day (Hilltop ECU Flashed):
MAX Power @ 85.79 (+ 1.55 increase) and MAX TRQ @ 66.51 (+3.81 increase)

While the #’s do show a small bit of an increase, I honestly can tell no difference by the “butt” dyno.
Independent testing is a reality check.

Sooo, how does it work now? Do you have to send the ECU back to Hilltop for them to un-flash it so you can have someone else flash it?

I'm running a variation (they have options instead of A flash...) of Bren Tunings' 93 octane flash (93 octane seemed to be what really let them make power improvements and the knock sensors allow running on less octane) on my 2015 and the difference is night and day along with having a couple things I haven't seen offered elsewhere like reduced engine braking and no closed throttle fuel cut off. Both things I believe are available in Race Mode on S1000RR's and I really like. Hopefully they now have the pieces they were waiting on to flash the Euro4 (BMSM ECU) bikes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
2017 R NINE T RACER (USA) model HILL TOP ECU reflash

@ OCR9T: So maybe something may have been done, but nowhere near the output of what other customer DYNO graphs were representing. Interesting to hear that other customers are experiencing positive results although........so good for them.

@ STURGEON: Yes it does appear that those reporting good results are more local and able to do the ride in/ride out process to their shop. Unfortunately, air sensor probe positioning on DYNO machine can yield varying results when reinserting probe into a different section (thus the graphs showing increased gains).

Not sure and good question if EU vs N. America are tuned differently and put out different power.

I to was pretty happy with base bike for most part, however after swapping out full exhaust (and my past experience with after market exhaust systems and ECU reflash on my Ducati)......it's pretty impressive to feel the actual difference. It's not so much about ultimate power for me, but more of a smoother machine, just really clean and smooth throttle response and power band via the entire RPM range. Hard to explain, but if you ever get an opportunity to ride a properly tuned ECU flashed bike, you'd understand what I mean. I'll often flash my Ducati back to base map and ride it for a couple of weeks (thinking placebo effect), then reflash it with one of the particular tuned avaliable MAP's and the differences are very noticeable/felt/smile inducing.

@ JohnT: Thx for your assistance regarding the canister removal BTW. Yes I figured independent testing would be good to share with USA folks or those having to ship in a 2017 ECU to them. It's been a bit arduous process (communication, taking off, shipping, etc.) that I really don't want to repeat again in order to have them remove flash........but YES leaning towards the return route......more to follow......stay tuned

** I also received an email from Brens tunning and got this response: "......so today the final tool....which needed a lot of revisions.... cleared customs.....so any day now". So more than likely, if I end up returning HT flash, I'll potentially be reallocating funds........

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for sharing TX RnineT!

Your post sure saved me some money, as your results kind of linears with my own thoughts. Now I can use that saved money on Gas and ride more.

Perhaps flashing of ECU's works better on pre 2017 models and their more stringent emission demands.

I find mine Turban G/S to fuel really well, and my only (small) worries are the engine heat in slow traffic.
Perhaps it's BMWs way of telling me to get out of Town and find myself a good twisty stretch of road instead.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Perhaps flashing of ECU's works better on pre 2017 models and their more stringent emission demands.
I wouldn't take this as a blanket condemnation of flashing the Euro4 ECU's, just that it's become more difficult. From what I've been able to find it seems there are more checks/tests buried in the new ECU's logic to keep them EURO4 compliant that are problematic. The tuners that best understand and can decode the Bosch architecture will deal with it best

1 - 20 of 38 Posts