BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,125 Posts
Wow, looks great! And the high exhaust exposes that rear wheel which also looks very cool.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Wow, looks great! And the high exhaust exposes that rear wheel which also looks very cool.
Thanks!! The design and the unique bends of the exhaust tubings definitely changes the way the engine feel and performance now. There's more back pressure now and you can feel the low end grunt than the previous exhaust SC Project S1's. This is without the DB killers on the Unit Garage. Sounds wise, they both sounds good, the Unit Garage has more that low end rasby rumble. Both exhausts emit no droning sounds.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,125 Posts
Did you have to do a flapper delete for this exhaust to fit?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Did you have to do a flapper delete for this exhaust to fit?
Nope...but it took me over 3 hours just to install it. Unit Garage needs to redesign their hi mount bracket because getting it align to the exhaust mounting holes was PITA. It only took me 15 minutes before to remove and install the previous exhaust SC Project S1.

·
Registered
R-NINET Racer
54 Posts
Hi, very nice, I will decide on my new racer exhaust this week - first priority is to have a clear view of the rear wheel. I am between the UNIT high that you have, and the MASS tube that goes around als leaves the back open. Price of the MASS is expensive, but it includes the header. Would be interesting to know the noise level with db killer on both. Not looking for too much noise.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Thanks! The Unit Garage Hi mount titanium exhaust is by far my favorite exhaust. I had SC Project S1 and Akrapovic before the Unit Garage. Personally I think the Unit Garage exhaust looks perfect on the Racer, it has that custom exotic retro look to it. Plus ordering from Unit Garage was super quick, I ordered my on thursday and received it on the following monday.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, very nice, I will decide on my new racer exhaust this week - first priority is to have a clear view of the rear wheel. I am between the UNIT high that you have, and the MASS tube that goes around als leaves the back open. Price of the MASS is expensive, but it includes the header. Would be interesting to know the noise level with db killer on both. Not looking for too much noise.
My 2¢.... Having had the GP slash pipe installed on my Racer - the MASS system would likely be unbearably loud. I realize everyone has a difference tolerance, but for me it was far too much for puttering around town.
I agree 100% with Topflight - I swapped for a Unit high mount too and have absolutely zero regrets. Really works well with the retro-racer look. Plus with the removable DB killer, you can choose how loud you want it.

·
Registered
R-NINET Racer
54 Posts
So sad, hoped that the MASS will be bearable as I would have loved to change the header tubes. Another source also confirmed that they are very loud.
Concerning the UNIT I am bit confused on the support bracket. Do I need to buy it for a Race install? The webpage states that

"It mounts easily in just a few minutes onto the passenger frame on the original anti-vibration grommet.If you want to remove the passenger frame and make the rear of the bike really aggressive,
you'll have to buy our support code "1611 supp high"

On the racer, do I need the "1611 supp high" or can I mount it to an original point?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
There's two type of high mounts offer from Unit Garage, 1611 and 1611 "Ohlins". On the Racer you have to remove the stock OEM bracket (original point) and use the Hi mounts bracket from Unit Garage. Racer doesn't have passenger seat or passenger frame support. On all the other models of R Nine T (except Scrambler) you can use the original mounting point. The Scrambler exhaust mounting point is different and the exhaust part # is also different from Unit Garage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I'm generally not a fan of high level pipes on the boxer, but I have to say that looks fantastic.
Thanks...Yeah I only like the the one from Unit Garage and the modified version on Nate Kern R Nine T race bike. It looks like what it appears to be a Akrapovic titanium Hi pipe (L-B12SO6T) with SC Project CR-T. This is from Nate Kern: the mid section of the Akrapovic pipe (55mm) was flared at the end to joined the 60mm SC Project CR-T. FYI: There's two different type of Hi Link pipes from Akrapovic for the R9T.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Added Ohlins adjustable steering damper. I didn't believe a adjustable steering damper would make a difference before....boy am I wrong. The stock OEM damper is just too stiff, it's especially noticeable on the Racer due to design and position of the bar. With the Ohlins steering damper, you can fine tune the stiffness and it has 20 audiable clicks you can feel and hear. It made a difference riding in town at slow speed.
20200723_225936.jpg
20200724_092758.jpg

·
Registered
R-NINET Racer
54 Posts
Now that is an explanation, I feel my racer is awfully stiff when going slow or parking.Will look into this!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Now that is an explanation, I feel my racer is awfully stiff when going slow or parking.Will look into this!
The classic R9T, Pure, Scrambler and Urban steering are all easier to turn due to the higher handlebars=more leverage. I also noticed my wrist is not fatigue or sore riding in slow traffic or cruising on the freeway. I feel an adjustable steering damper is a must on a Racer.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts