BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
BMW R Nine T Urban GS X
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys
Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas Auto part
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
, got my 2018 Urban GS X last Friday, and I have just taken delivery of some of my add-ons from unit garage... I'm very impressed with my order, free UK shipping, no Tax charged to a UK business and 20% discount, it was a no brainer to order asap.

The bike had only covered 5.9k
It is in stunning condition! Bought from MCO bikes in Wigan, I'd recommend them.

I'm lucky that it came with a factory alarm which I've just figured out how to set (no fobs)
Datatag already installed.
Heated grips (not sure if they all do, but they're really good, too hot in fact haha)
Offset Riser on the bars, which I think is a nice position.

The unit garage heavy duty crash bars - very nice piece of kit, unlike the cheaper versions around, these slot into the frames tubular sections, which is much stronger than 90deg welded on tags. Also where the tube of the bars are welded, they are not squashed like you see on other brands... Very easy fitment!

I went for a luggage rack that allows a pillion and Top box fitted. Some look like it would be a very tight squeeze but this allows plenty of room. The Unit garage top box is very high quality, it locks with a key and can be removed within 2 seconds from the bike! Fits a helmet no problem!

Also I went for the yellow windscreen, which has a mount for when I fit the gps.
It matches my yellow shoei Ex zero visor and the GS style handguards I've ordered in white with transparent yellow.

I also bought the exhaust butterfly valve delete, not installed yet... What are peoples experience? Also what is the result from removing the dB killer on the stock lower exhaust?

Product Rectangle Font Material property Everyday carry

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

see

Registered
BMW R Nine T Urban GS X
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cheers guys, I am a tweeker, I normally build bikes to my spec.
If you're interested see my other bikes.
Not to everyone's taste 馃ぃ

This ones going to be for more longer journeys and adventures, hence why I went for this beast. Love the torque, handles so well for a heavy bike.
The screen looks great, here's the hand guards I have to match
Scale Head Plant Automotive lighting Jaw

Registered
What tyres are you on? The tkc 80s look nice and pretty good in the rain but noisy and wear quicker
I'm on wasted Bridgestone Battle Axes which is another reason I've not ridden much yet. But I am getting Metzler Tourances next week. Mostly a street tire, maybe 90/10, but I'm not likely to go crazy in the dirt. But there are a lot of dirt roads in Oregon, including my half-mile driveway, and even with the wasted Bridgestone Axes this bike handles what I want to use it for.

Super Moderator
2014 Classic
So what are peoples experience with removing the exhausts DB killer and Butterfly valve? Pros and cons
Rather than take your Introductory thread in all different directions, it might be best for you to have a read through the existing threads on those topics and then direct your particular questions in the relevant thread;
Removing Baffles Thread Original 2014-16 EURO 3 BIKES ONLY
Removing Baffles Thread: 2017-20 Models (EURO 4) ONLY
The Exhaust Flap Valve Super Mega Thread Fest

(y)

Administrator
So what are peoples experience with removing the exhausts DB killer and Butterfly valve? Pros and cons
Plenty of threads about that, mate. Have a look in the relevant technical sections, those topics are heavily discussed.

Looks as if @Captain just beat me to the punch and proved my point鈥 ;)

The search function should be your weapon of choice. :)

Registered
BMW R Nine T Urban GS X
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys, not seeing any info on performance / noise results with the same Silencer i have. I don't want it too loud.

I have yet to install the butterfly delete. Looking through threads, older bikes are easier to removed without any warning lights. Some say remove the cables from the servo motor but leave it plugged in and it will be fine. Others say you need a servo buddy. I am more than happy to experiment on vehicles but anything with a smart ECU can be harder to tinker with.

Registered
2018 UGS
I'm on wasted Bridgestone Battle Axes which is another reason I've not ridden much yet. But I am getting Metzler Tourances next week. Mostly a street tire, maybe 90/10, but I'm not likely to go crazy in the dirt. But there are a lot of dirt roads in Oregon, including my half-mile driveway, and even with the wasted Bridgestone Axes this bike handles what I want to use it for.
Don't mean to take this welcome thread in a different direction, but wanted to comment on this. I had the OEM tire Continental TrailWing knobbies, on a new-to-me 2012 Triumph Scrambler, and was ready to list the bike for sale after a few days. Horrible! Ended up throwing the money at a pair of Tourance Next's because I knew I wouldn't be able to sell it with the tires it had. It was such a remarkable difference! @Ric Vilbig, don't wait--just do it. It will be a different bike...for the much much better!

@Louis Urban GS; welcome from the SF Bay Area! The 3 of us are triplets, or maybe cousins by the time you've done all your mods....

oh and {edit:} My UGS came with exactly the same tire coincidentally. I assume it was an OEM option. Very confident with them.

Registered
Urban G/S 2018 - Scrambler 2018
Been enjoying the bike this week, decent weather. Can't believe how well it handles and pulls away with a pillion on the back.

Here's how it stands with the current add-ons.
Still undecided on which headlight guard. View attachment 152274
View attachment 152273
View attachment 152275 View attachment 152270 View attachment 152271 View attachment 152272
Very interested to know how you are finding the screen....thinking about pressing the button on one...????

Registered
BMW R Nine T Urban GS X
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked up a second hand sump guard cheap, all the fittings included, not sure why there's 2 options 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 I've seen people jacking these heavy bikes up on them, I personally wouldn't do that, the studs might snap.
Added some trim just because 馃榿 might help with noise reduction from gravel hitting it.
Ran a tap down threads, which is needed to remove the factory paint.
Crankset Automotive lighting Bicycle frame Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Registered
Picked up a second hand sump guard cheap, all the fittings included, not sure why there's 2 options 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 I've seen people jacking these heavy bikes up on them, I personally wouldn't do that, the studs might snap.
FWIW, when I took my UGS in to the BMW dealer for service, they had it on a lift with the rear wheel stand at first. But when it came time to remove the wheels they put a scissor lift under the sump guard to raise the whole bike, with a block of wood between the lift and the sump guard. So I now feel safe in doing so as well.

Registered
2018 UGS
Added some trim just because 馃榿 might help with noise reduction from gravel hitting it.
Ran a tap down threads, which is needed to remove the factory paint.
Interesting about the tap. Makes sense. Do you remember what the thread dimensions are?

Registered
BMW R Nine T Urban GS X
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FWIW, when I took my UGS in to the BMW dealer for service, they had it on a lift with the rear wheel stand at first. But when it came time to remove the wheels they put a scissor lift under the sump guard to raise the whole bike, with a block of wood between the lift and the sump guard. So I now feel safe in doing so as well.
Interesting about the tap. Makes sense. Do you remember what the thread dimensions are?
3 bolt holes are m8x1.25mm
1 is M6x1mm

1 - 20 of 40 Posts