BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 bmw R nine T Pure
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
So I have a 2021 pure. I’m planning on getting the rev counter. Does anyone know if the 2020 rev counter will work for the 2021?

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
359 Posts
Not sure. The new ECU has several additional info in the 2021 (driving modes etc...) so I wouldn't bet the gauges are fully compatible.

Reactions: Ameersq

·
Registered
2021 bmw R nine T Pure
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I can tell. All my drive modes are on the Speedo. The rev counter would just have gears and some other things. All the bikes come with the harness zip tied to the frame. I’m going to see if the dealer can get me one haha

Not sure. The new ECU has several additional info in the 2021 (driving modes etc...) so I wouldn't bet the gauges are fully compatible.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R Nine T Pure
24 Posts
Hello! I just did this install on my 2021 Pure. When ordering the rev counter, order part number 62111691265 (not 62118564506 for the 2020.) All the other bits were the same, but the temperature will not display correctly if you use the 2020 rev counter.

How do I know? Well, let's just say I will have a 2020 rev counter for sale once I'm allowed to post in the for sale sections since I wasn't allowed to return electronic parts to where I purchased.

·
Registered
2021 bmw R nine T Pure
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thank you!

Hello! I just did this install on my 2021 Pure. When ordering the rev counter, order part number 62111691265 (not 62118564506 for the 2020.) All the other bits were the same, but the temperature will not display correctly if you use the 2020 rev counter.

·
Registered
2021 Rninet Pure Mineral Gray Metallic
20 Posts
The same happened to me but the temperature display shows letters instead of bars for the temp. So it works. For example 1 letter = 1 bar, 2 letters = 2 bars... etc. I guess I can live with it…. Everything else works as the 2021 version.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
555 Posts
The same happened to me but the temperature display shows letters instead of bars for the temp. So it works. For example 1 letter = 1 bar, 2 letters = 2 bars... etc. I guess I can live with it…. Everything else works as the 2021 version.
I'm interested in this. What is the temp readout supposed to look like on the 2021 bikes? I'm particularly intrigued since the '17-20 bikes show a temp that has a cutoff and seems high. Perhaps BMW's solution was simply a gauge without numbers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm interested in this. What is the temp readout supposed to look like on the 2021 bikes? I'm particularly intrigued since the '17-20 bikes show a temp that has a cutoff and seems high. Perhaps BMW's solution was simply a gauge without numbers?
It's supposed to look like usual bars, going from left to right and getting bigger as they do so.

I could post a picture when I'm near the bike.

It's too bad, I quite liked the numbers on my 2020 Pure.

What do you mean with "a cutoff" ?

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
282 Posts
It's supposed to look like usual bars, going from left to right and getting bigger as they do so.

I could post a picture when I'm near the bike.

It's too bad, I quite liked the numbers on my 2020 Pure.

What do you mean with "a cutoff" ?
I think the reading does not go higher than 140 degrees celcius. In places with high daily temepratures and slow traffic it becomes a concern. Mine on hot days will go to 132/134 and hover around that number if I am moving. Never had real issues myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the reading does not go higher than 140 degrees celcius. In places with high daily temepratures and slow traffic it becomes a concern. Mine on hot days will go to 132/134 and hover around that number if I am moving. Never had real issues myself.
Ok, it makes sense. I've seen 130+, but never to the best of my knowledge went to 140.

Still, having the exact number was preferable in my opinion to a numberless scale.

We now have the option of having a clock on one gauge and temperature on the other, which couldn't be done on my 2020 Pure, so that's an improvement of sorts...

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
282 Posts
Ok, it makes sense. I've seen 130+, but never to the best of my knowledge went to 140.

Still, having the exact number was preferable in my opinion to a numberless scale.

We now have the option of having a clock on one gauge and temperature on the other, which couldn't be done on my 2020 Pure, so that's an improvement of sorts...
I usually scroll between the two keeping my eye on the oil temperature and distance travelled and fuel consumption. We have to plan bit as your closest petrol can often be 60km away, fill sooner than later. In terms of heat, I doubt Europe will be an issue. In summer, even in Cape Town we can hit as high as 45 degrees. The bike is always fine when moving and the issue is more often when you sit in traffic and I do not think it will damage the bike, it was designed for it, still, rather safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
555 Posts
Yes the '17-20 bikes only display up to 143C/289F. If the temp goes higher it still just displays those numbers. It will continue to display those numbers all the way until the Error Light comes on with a thermometer icon. It is frustrating for two reasons: Nobody knows the actual temperature at which the bike turns on the error light, and many have confused 143C/289F for being the temp of overheat even if the light doesn't come on.

It seems to me with the '21+ bikes they're moving away from that to 'dummy it up' so that confusion stops happening. I would have preferred they just showed the temp. But at least they still have a gauge unlike the '14-16 bikes.

·
Registered
2020 RnineT/5
6 Posts
Nope it keeps on going. Here in Western Australia engine temp in mid 140s is common (summer ambient temp in mid 40s (centigrade) also common) - bike seems to love it. These donks are robust.

·
Registered
2021 Rninet Pure Mineral Gray Metallic
20 Posts
Nope it keeps on going. Here in Western Australia engine temp in mid 140s is common (summer ambient temp in mid 40s (centigrade) also common) - bike seems to love it. These donks are robust.
Wow! At what temperature does it shut down?

·
Registered
2020 RnineT/5
6 Posts
You know, upon reflection it has not gone above 143 degrees indicated despite stinking hot day in slow traffic etc so maybe that's the maximum it can indicate as some have said here.

if0rg0t2remember posted this:

As previously mentioned the 143C is simply the highest temp the gauge can indicate, but not the actual highest temp the bike can safely run at.

There is also a temp warning light that will come on when your oil is actually overheating. When this happens the yellow warning light will illuminate inside the dial and the screen will show a thermometer icon on the right side in the warning area. I have no idea what temperature will actually trip this as the temp gauge still shows 143C/289F, and my BMW dealer wasn't able to answer the question.

However the temp warning light does work and will illuminate eventually.

Fritz posted:

Temperatur sensor is lokated on the right side of the engine block where the oil comes back from
the hot right cylinder head. This oil is hotter than the oil in the oil sump.
Most other bikes except from BMW have their sensor for oil temperatur in the cooler oilsump..
So don't get fooled by the shown temperature on our bikes.
Why BMW does it this way I could not find out yet.
To my knowledge modern oil is stabel up to 180 degrees Celsius. (Is that 356 Fahrenheit?).

-interesting! The main point is not one person has said they've cooked their engine so I really doubt there's anything to be concerned about. They probably shouldn't have put a temp gauge in, problem solved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts