BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
My dealer has a couple 2021s, but mine was an allocated order for March build and I wanted some changes from the standard roadster (aluminum package, comfort package, tubeless classic rims).

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
312 Posts
My local dealer here in the States is having the same problem getting bikes. Especially customer ordered ones. They are running about a month and a half behind schedule. It's now effecting all Motorrad parts from Germany as well. Tried to order a few things, originally a month out, now more. Found a guy who said he had what I needed in stock and said if I ordered from him, he'd have the parts out to me by end of the week. Day after I placed my order, he called and said trucking is screwed up, now will be at least two weeks before anything ships. So I don't think it's just BMW bikes, it's parts that are coming from Germany as well. When the local dealer couldn't get one bike for a particular customer, they blamed it on the trucking company as well. Maybe we should all pull our resources and start a trucking company specifically to ship BMW motorcycles and parts. :p

Best,
-Tim

Reactions: LWIRWA

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
81 Posts
My local dealer here in the States is having the same problem getting bikes. Especially customer ordered ones. They are running about a month and a half behind schedule. It's now effecting all Motorrad parts from Germany as well. Tried to order a few things, originally a month out, now more. Found a guy who said he had what I needed in stock and said if I ordered from him, he'd have the parts out to me by end of the week. Day after I placed my order, he called and said trucking is screwed up, now will be at least two weeks before anything ships. So I don't think it's just BMW bikes, it's parts that are coming from Germany as well. When the local dealer couldn't get one bike for a particular customer, they blamed it on the trucking company as well. Maybe we should all pull our resources and start a trucking company specifically to ship BMW motorcycles and parts. :p

Best,
-Tim
Tim, I think you are on to something with the trucking idea... My guys in San Jose are telling me it has been a perfect storm of problems, although I don't know why it is so perfect, Covid, container shortages, shipping issues, chip shortages, human-power, etc. My understanding is that even BMW auto is having shipping issues. They said that BMW had allocations already in the pipeline and that is why you see the bikes you see on the floor, but have to wait for anything that was ordered, special or not.

Reactions: Timmyjoe

·
Registered
342 Posts
I confirmed a purchase of a 40th GS about a month ago, my dealer is having trouble even finding out where the bike is, I'm hearing its a shortage of shipping containers that's causing delays. Patience with this stuff is best, I'm sure BMW and others want to deliver but the supply chain has been screwed up with the Covid crap and the Ever Green barricade on the Suez Canal.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Scrambler 2021
52 Posts
I had asked about the custom bike because that's basically the line I got from the dealership here. I was told that "off shelf/floor" bikes will be available in Spring, but anything custom would see delays. The dealer went as far as to advise me to get a vanilla version if I was okay just waiting out and letting the dealership do the work later, obviously they make some cash too on that, but was foreseeing delays. Even the stock bikes were delayed, but I'm surprised to see people who placed orders at the start of the year still waiting, I'd imagine a German company would have a supply chain able to pivot as I don't see the need for some dealers to have inventory on the floor and future owners waiting for the custom bikes.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
459 Posts

·
Registered
R9T Scrambler 2020
190 Posts
also for me problems of late delivery but with an Audi (customised) bought in December. it was supposed to arrive in mid-April but according to the latest news it will arrive in June (.... maybe). I think the Suez Canal between Germany and Italy isn’t a problem 🤣

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
118 Posts
Hey everyone, I was wondering if any new North American buyers have the same trouble as me? I’ve ordered my 2021 Scrambler mid December 2020 and am still waiting for it. The dealership was originally supposed to receive its order start to mid April but there has been some shipment container issues back in Germany (due to covid) and it only shipped 3 days ago. I’m scheduled to pick it up mid June and am really excited about it. Any 2021 buyers in the same boat (pun intended) as me? Luckily BMW has offered a “small” rebate as an apology for its shipping issue.
Shipped 3 days ago ... your post is 2 days old - which would make it the 9th. My dealer inquiry shows the ship sailed the 8th, so we must all be together in that one !!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ve been ordering a lot of parts recently. It seems the bottleneck is Germany itself. Exports are taking significantly longer than usual. A friend of mine has been waiting on both BMW and aftermarket parts for weeks. Several of my tracking numbers (DHL, EMS and USPS) show parts getting to Rodgau, “handed over to destination country’s shipping company, tracking will be updated once it arrives in destination country” and that’s the last thing tracking shows for over a week. Same thing for my buddy and his parts also coming from Germany. Meanwhile, parts I’ve ordered from the UK using FedEx show up next day, parts from the Netherlands also using DHL show up in 5 days. Covid has wrecked the German export pipeline. The companies blame it on DHL, but it’s definitely not DHL, as it’s multiple different carriers being slow af leaving JUST Germany.

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
16 Posts
My dealerships representant told me that BMW would cut 500$ of the price of the bike, which isn't bad at all. Considering I requested a tachymeter to be added on my scrambler, it will cover a big part of this option fee.
My 2021, ordered in January for the "March Build Slot" to arrive in May, has been delayed until approx mid-June. I too was offered $500, but for any accessories I'd like to purchase, not as a rebate.

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
16 Posts
My dealer has a couple 2021s, but mine was an allocated order for March build and I wanted some changes from the standard roadster (aluminum package, comfort package, tubeless classic rims).
Sounds like you and I are waiting for the same bike! I too added those options.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know if this will help or hinder, however, in my searches for the Bean I found a possible way to track the container. If you have your container number you might try to see if this makes any sense to you. I put the URL in print on top of the screen shot from my track of the container that the Bean is supposedly in.
ContainerSearch.png

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
118 Posts
This has been and still is like a puzzle of small pieces of information that we are all trying to fit somewhere so that it makes sense or at least gives us a kind of table of contents to follow.

Wouldn't it be great to find the ONE person at BMW who knows all the answers for all of us and SHAKE HIM DOWN till he spills his guts??

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would imagine that logistics for a company like BMW is intense, however, THEY are a German company and I thought that organization, and all things prim and proper was a German thing.... well so much for stereotypes. Bad me. And yes it would be nice to find that tree, (metaphor for person) and shake it until all the apples fall, shoot, I'd be happy even if I got one with a worm in it, at least it would be something to chew on.....o_O 😆

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, this answers it.

DHL is reserving the right to change shipments to sea travel and after googling, other companies are adopting this practice for shipments going to the USA that aren’t explicitly premium services. So that explains why it’s been a week and my tracking info hasn’t changed and just says “package is enroute to a USPS facility” for all my shipments leaving Germany, namely DHL. Looks like my wheels are gonna take awhile to get here. 😞

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey everyone, I was wondering if any new North American buyers have the same trouble as me? I’ve ordered my 2021 Scrambler mid December 2020 and am still waiting for it. The dealership was originally supposed to receive its order start to mid April but there has been some shipment container issues back in Germany (due to covid) and it only shipped 3 days ago. I’m scheduled to pick it up mid June and am really excited about it. Any 2021 buyers in the same boat (pun intended) as me? Luckily BMW has offered a “small” rebate as an apology for its shipping issue.
Hi. YES the supply chain has really interrupted. Althou I do feel some companies are using the virus to raise their prices especially since it has been over a year now.
I took delivery on a 2021 R9T 6 weeks agoand I can promise you the bike will be worth the wait.
Ride safe

·
Registered
81 Posts
And speaking of deliveries, got to talking with a buddy about her new BMW that was just delivered, she said that yes it took awhile to get to her but it was worth the wait.....:oops:
Classic-BMW-Pt-Reyes.png

KIDDING, I was having breakfast in Point Reyes, CA and this lovely example showed up at the door step across the street whilst I was eating. I never saw or got to talk to the owner but what a gorgeous looking ride, although, probably not as comfortable as the 1250 GSA I was on....just sayin.

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
16 Posts
Shipped 3 days ago ... your post is 2 days old - which would make it the 9th. My dealer inquiry shows the ship sailed the 8th, so we must all be together in that one !!
Any word on if they've arrived? Off the boat? I'm losing my mind waiting...

21 - 40 of 78 Posts