BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
362 Posts
AWESOME Bean!!! Congratulations!!!

She's Beautiful. Have fun.

Best,
-Tim

PS: If you get tired of the Metzler Karoos 3, I can highly recommend the Continental TKC 70 front and TKC 70 Rocks rear, both on road and light/medium off-road.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
139 Posts
Thanks Tim for the suggestion. It has been so hot here I may need asbestos tires for my next set.

• Haha
Reactions: Timmyjoe

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes I see you have been quite busy!
I, on the other hand have not. I had changed so much stuff on my Sportster, that I said - let's leave this one alone a bit and just see what happens before tearing into it. My first discovery was that I really like the look of the single clock, so I am in no hurry to even think about a tach, although it was super important for me last month!

I have hit my 1000km, that's 600miles to you guys, and am so happy with all the feelings I get from this bike. What a revelation in motorcycle riding!
As I'm sure you will attest and others as well - this is one amazing piece of machinery!

That meetup in Nebraska would be very enjoyable but it IS 1500 miles so for me at least, it would take some planning. You never know!
Hey J. I just finished mounting my tach (rev counter) and thought I should share some first thoughts with you. In my mind having a second gauge balances out the look in the front. That may be because I have always had tach's on my rides so I am used to seeing one up there. However, when I look at how easy it was to mount, very, even in our 100+ degree heat, (38 c), plus all the extra feature I get, gear, gas, and more, the benefit vs. cost starts really adding up. Note my sales guy and the owner of San Jose BMW guilt tripped their BMW rep into comping the cost (normally around $500 USD) so I got it for free. As I use it, it is late here, I will write up more of my impressions and maybe have a better set of pictures for you but I wanted to pass that on whilst I was thinking of it. Cheers mate. 😁

Rev Counter 1.jpeg
Rev Counter 2.jpeg

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
Hey J. I just finished mounting my tach (rev counter) and thought I should share some first thoughts with you. In my mind having a second gauge balances out the look in the front. That may be because I have always had tach's on my rides so I am used to seeing one up there. However, when I look at how easy it was to mount, very, even in our 100+ degree heat, (38 c), plus all the extra feature I get, gear, gas, and more, the benefit vs. cost starts really adding up. Note my sales guy and the owner of San Jose BMW guilt tripped their BMW rep into comping the cost (normally around $500 USD) so I got it for free. As I use it, it is late here, I will write up more of my impressions and maybe have a better set of pictures for you but I wanted to pass that on whilst I was thinking of it. Cheers mate. 😁

Thank you ...
I also have always had a tach on everything, it's the first time that I like one face looking back at me.
Yes, please give me your impressions going forward. It's not like I really need the info to ride but I do - I don't ..... who knows anymore?

I am SO on the fence with this!

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
362 Posts
Hey J. The gear indicator isn't a necessity, but it's nice to have from time to time. The Tach again is not a necessity, but nice to have from time to time (although I find it a necessity, because every bike I've ever owned had one). And I agree with Bean, having two gauges on the bike just looks normal and classic at the same time. At least IMHO.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
29 Posts
Yes I see you have been quite busy!
I, on the other hand have not. I had changed so much stuff on my Sportster, that I said - let's leave this one alone a bit and just see what happens before tearing into it. My first discovery was that I really like the look of the single clock, so I am in no hurry to even think about a tach, although it was super important for me last month!

I have hit my 1000km, that's 600miles to you guys, and am so happy with all the feelings I get from this bike. What a revelation in motorcycle riding!
As I'm sure you will attest and others as well - this is one amazing piece of machinery!

That meetup in Nebraska would be very enjoyable but it IS 1500 miles so for me at least, it would take some planning. You never know!
I hit my 1000km in a week. Now I'm patiently waiting for my first service, which is still a week away! I love this bike :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I had my first shake down ride with the Bean, managed roughly 395 km which brings my 3 day total up to almost 400 km. Lasted about 5 hours with no real stops other than to take a couple of pics to share. A bit saddle sore, may have to go after market or something to soften the seat up. I thought my big ole ass would provide enough padding, maybe I just need a couple more milkshakes. Anyway, I made it over to the CA coast above San Francisco, Point Reyes, Bodega Bay, and Mount Tamapias. A couple of things not on fire here on the west coast....

And just a quick note to J., love the tach.

When I brought Bean home she didn't have the tach and riding her for the short hops I was thinking this is okay. However, now that I have had her on the road the little things like having the gear indicator, fuel consumption, ambient temp, plus seeing where my revs are really make it for me. All that I and really like the look of two clocks on the dash. I would say the one thing that I really miss is that I don't have a fuel gauge to tell me how much left in the tank. Yes I set the trip, but math is involved, and math is not my friend...:cautious:

I did get a low fuel warning, but here is the issue, I had the gauges showing something else more important to me. Ambient temp, time, etc. so mileage is not always in front of me. Plus, I don't have a real good yard stick for how many miles to the tank. With my style of riding, switching between hard and fast to slow and admire the scenery, knowing miles to the tank is at best a wild guess. The light did finally come on to tell me gas up dummy or push. However, I am way out there with no idea of how close the next fuel station is, and the gauge is showing me a count down, or count up, till I'm pushing, (got to look that one up). When I did find a pump it seemed that I still had maybe a gal. in the pot which would have taken me about 74 km.

So there you have, love her, keeping her, long live the Bean....:love:

Attachments

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
Well I had my first shake down ride with the Bean, managed roughly 395 km which brings my 3 day total up to almost 400 km. Lasted about 5 hours with no real stops other than to take a couple of pics to share. A bit saddle sore, may have to go after market or something to soften the seat up. I thought my big ole ass would provide enough padding, maybe I just need a couple more milkshakes. Anyway, I made it over to the CA coast above San Francisco, Point Reyes, Bodega Bay, and Mount Tamapias. A couple of things not on fire here on the west coast....

And just a quick note to J., love the tach.
Oooooh
Mount Tamalpias !
OMG was that ever a nice place to be ... been a long time!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Unfortunately, my appointment is on the 26th !!!
So I have to look at my little warning triangle for the next 2 weeks :(
But at least you have something to look at and the rest of us have something to look forward to....:unsure: ;)

Reactions: Jacc883

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oooooh
Mount Tamalpias !
OMG was that ever a nice place to be ... been a long time!
Yes it was gorgeous and a lovely ride, other than freezing my buns off. Yes ole dummy me, when I left my home base it was a soaring just above the 35 c mark, and I was dressed accordingly, when I got over to the coast line temps had dropped a bit, 15 c and I am still dressed for the valley...:eek: :rolleyes:

Now I know, pack a jacket....duh.

·
Registered
2021 R NineT Scrambler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Finally rode Ingrid this morning, a short 25 km. I'm still looking for words.......I've been eyeing this bike since 2017, getting it last june was really cool, as cool as a dream coming true, but riding it this morning was oh so amazing. wow!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey L. just remember to dress accordingly, not like that dummy ridding the Bean....:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: LWIRWA

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jacc883, I forgot to ask when were you out the west coast way, (Mt. Tam.), and were you riding or driving?

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
Jacc883, I forgot to ask when were you out the west coast way, (Mt. Tam.), and were you riding or driving?
Oh boy!!!
The first time was in 1974 driving a 73 Toyota Celica, two of us in the car all the way from Montreal, meeting up with 4 friends also from Montreal who had flown there.
The good old (younger) days !!!

I was back in 1984 with my wife. I'm sorry but we had a wilder time with the boys, what can I say?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Morning M. So you got the miles/km but where are the pictures.....? Come on buddy, you are part of the final four here and I know I am waiting to see all the excitement coming from your direction.

But that is not why I am writing, I am in a similar position in that I stacked up a bunch of mileage in a very short time and need a service, however, my dealership/sales person have been over the moon in helping me out so I am not to worried. I did talk to my guys in the know about what to do however.

One of the main reasons for a 600 mile (965 km) service is the oil change. You want to make sure that there is no metal particulate in the oil indicating a serious problem or wear issue. In talking with my guy, he was saying that on some of the BMW's, the break in filter is a smaller unit than the standard filter. He didn't know why or if that was completely true for the RNine's, however, the point is that the oil must be changed early for break in.

That being said, I am pretty handy with a wrench and an oil/filter change is no big thing so I got a BMW filter and oil making a point of buying from my dealer and hanging on the receipts for proof and just changed it myself. I still plan on bringing Bean in to the dealership for the 6000 mile check up because, again after talking with a lead tech, he said the critical maintenance is the valve adjustment, (other than making sure that there is no metal in the oil).

So, if you are like me, impatient and can't go a day without a good thrashing on your ride, you may consider changing the oil and filter yourself now, and still go in for a service in August to turn off that annoying service light and get the other minor adjustments taken care of.

Just sayin...Cheers mate...the Bean

·
Registered
70 Posts
Morning M. So you got the miles/km but where are the pictures.....? Come on buddy, you are part of the final four here and I know I am waiting to see all the excitement coming from your direction.

But that is not why I am writing, I am in a similar position in that I stacked up a bunch of mileage in a very short time and need a service, however, my dealership/sales person have been over the moon in helping me out so I am not to worried. I did talk to my guys in the know about what to do however.

One of the main reasons for a 600 mile (965 km) service is the oil change. You want to make sure that there is no metal particulate in the oil indicating a serious problem or wear issue. In talking with my guy, he was saying that on some of the BMW's, the break in filter is a smaller unit than the standard filter. He didn't know why or if that was completely true for the RNine's, however, the point is that the oil must be changed early for break in.

That being said, I am pretty handy with a wrench and an oil/filter change is no big thing so I got a BMW filter and oil making a point of buying from my dealer and hanging on the receipts for proof and just changed it myself. I still plan on bringing Bean in to the dealership for the 6000 mile check up because, again after talking with a lead tech, he said the critical maintenance is the valve adjustment, (other than making sure that there is no metal in the oil).

So, if you are like me, impatient and can't go a day without a good thrashing on your ride, you may consider changing the oil and filter yourself now, and still go in for a service in August to turn off that annoying service light and get the other minor adjustments taken care of.

I actually have only 2 photos!

I should be OK re: kilometres...weather has been kind of crappy here the last few days. Apparently service should be between 1000km-1200km. My approach has always been at 1000km, so that’s my preference.

Agree....if I get to that point I can do my own. I used to do it on my GSA and this doesn’t even have a bash plate to remove!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ahhh, the pictures, more man, more. She is a beauty how can you resist not taking a bunch of photos to brag about. I know that I do, I mean take pictures and brag.... :rolleyes:

I figure that as long as I stay out of the frame and the bragging is about the Bean all is good, right....?
Historic-ride-Coloma.png

Reactions: mixedup

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
29 Posts

Haha! I’m terrible for taking pictures. I really should do it more.
My service is tomorrow, I’ll leave it to the professionals. That and I don’t have a garage, living the condo life. So I can’t wait for tomorrow!

141 - 160 of 167 Posts