BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all. I thought it might be fun for us to share a memorable moment or adventure from 2021 on your R nineT, and what big adventures you are planning for 2022. Please contribute a quick story if you'd like, and include a photo if possible.

I'll start...

While I did a nice trip to Kentucky last spring and a few terrific single-day rides this summer, the highlight of 2021 was my September trip to the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park on my R9T Pure. I'd done this trip a few times on my old VFR 800, but this was the first time on my BMW. What made it more memorable is I planned to do it this time as an overnight trip, which was a daunting task. I wasn't sure I could do it, so I allowed myself an extra day just in case, but I pulled it off.

My biggest planned adventure for 2022 is to finally to the tour to Maine I've been wanting to do the last few years. I'd also like to do a trip to the Tail of the Dragon, which I've done a few times but not yet on my R9T. I'll likely do the Dragon trip first, hopefully in May, as the weather will be warmer down south then, and do the Maine trip later this summer.

Photo on the Skyline Drive:
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
752 Posts
2021 was a bad year for me in terms of finances and riding so I didn't get anything amazing or memorable in unfortunately. Most of my close riding friends stopped riding altogether or nearly stopped last year for various personal reasons, so I wound up doing a bit more completely solo exploration and found a few decent roads close by but didn't take any longer rides through the year. Luckily, I live close enough to the Shenandoah area that I can make a solo day trip out and back of it. That is ok because the early lockdowns and empty roads of 2020 made for some amazing riding memories.

First major order of business for 2022 will be some new tires. I've been looking into the Continental RoadAttack3 tires or Michelin Road 5s.

This year I'd like to finally get a multi-day camping adventure in, either on my R nineT or my KLR650. It will probably wind up being a solo affair but I'm increasingly ok with that.

I'd also like to explore more of the roads out in West Virginia since I know there lots of less known/frequented scenic roads out there.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Best memories from '21 have to be the two short trips I took.

The first was to Dumfries and Galloway in glorious weather, the sights and roads were wonderful.I had a great day riding side roads and the coast road into Stranrear.

Cloud Sky Tire Water Land vehicle

The second was the dash to the Isle of Man. Many memories came back on that trip and the island is still as lovely as it was when I last visited over 30years ago.

As for plans for this year, nothing in mind although Scotlands Highlands are calling..

HG

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
782 Posts
Well since I am getting a NineT Scrambler,... I hope to make some nice trips around Netherlands/Europe!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Hmmm I hope that I can discover all the good, great and funky coffee shops in New Hampshire in 2022. And hopefully I will not need to wear a 😷.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,900 Posts
In February this year, a friend and I will be taking a six day self guided tour through central Ecuador, starting in Quito. Our bikes and accommodations are though Freedom Bike Tours. This is all dependent on air travel & covid testing being straightened out by then.

My wife and I already cancelled a trip to Ecuador which was supposed to start on Christmas day, we are now attempting to take our trip on January 13th. Fingers crossed for both trips.

Happy and safe New Year for everyone, and here's to fulfilling those plans. 🍺 Cheers!

·
Registered
Nine T Scrambler
268 Posts
Late july 2021, I tried a A2 Pure at the dealership, I ordered one after the summer bbreak when the store opened again.
Biggest highlight of the year, I recieve my Scrambler in Novembre, right on time for my birthday.

Projects for 2022, I'm in the market for a house and I'm planning of having a nice workshop. Having the possibility to make my own maintenance and work on my R9T in the confort of my own garage, the motorbike not sleeping under the moonlight.

2023... a second R9T, why not?
A pure to give room to my wildest custom dreams :D

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT Pure
16 Posts
In December, I picked up my first R NineT. Easily the highlight of the year. :)

In 2022, I've convinced my wife, a coworker and her husband, and a few others to take the MSC in the spring. The goal is to get my wife to try riding a bike on her own, and buying her one if she loves it like I do. I don't have any travel plans, but a friend of mine has been riding his motorcycle to every county courthouse in Ohio (88 of them), photographing them, and sharing them on social. I love this idea. Every weekend he creates a route that will take him to a few new ones, and enjoys his bike, the history, and the ride. Would love to plan something like that. Maybe a tour of the covered bridges in Ohio.

Happy New Years guys! I sincerely hope this year is better than last for all of you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
2021 had to be my second Alps trip but Covid restriction compell me to cancel. In the end I could enjoyed 2 trips around my country. One was on June with my friends and the other was a solo trip on Octuber.

2022 Must be Alps, but I don´t want to make plans so far. Covid is uncertain. I don´t want to get my hops up. It is very frustrating when you have to cancel your plans. So depending on covid situation I will decide where to go...If possible Alps is my first intention, if not...Pyrenees or Portugal (Serra da Estrela). Also I will try to improve my front fork suspension.

June trip:

October trip:

·
Registered
2018 R NineT - Blue Planet Metallic w/ 719 billet options
66 Posts
In March of 2021 I started riding again after 5 years of no motorcycling before my daughters turned into teenagers. A friend of mine I used to ride with up in Massachusetts sent a photo of his cafe bike and it got me looking at the current offerings... and I found the R NineT. I knew this Moto had been out for a while and recalled liking it in the past, but at the time I thought I was done riding for good. The more I looked at these, the more I became slightly obsessed with getting one. And of course when you look you will find something. So my '18 R NineT was delivered and I soon reconnected with all my old track day guys who are now all retired and they call themselves "The Men of Leisure". I had tried to recreate the comradery we have in the motorcycling world with car guys and no matter how many times I had invited people to take a drive it almost always seemed to fall on deaf ears. Car guys rarely want to enjoy their cars like we do with motorbikes. So the best feeling I have had this year was the immediate welcome back I received from my fellow local riders who I had not talked with in a long time and we have put some serious miles down ever since. We had a rally in Murphy, NC last fall and logged almost 1000 miles in 3 days carving up the North Georgia mountain roads, Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Richard B Russel Parkway, etc. I also started leading rides again which I have always enjoyed. So in short, I reconnected with my old self on the R NineT (and also bought a Triumph Tiger soon thereafter) and it has been a great addition to my activities. 2022 promises to be great as well!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
159 Posts
I'm planning to ride PCH from San Francisco to San Diego this year. I contemplated taking this trip in August last year but didn't have a comfortable amount of tread on my tires and didn't get them replaced in time. I'm also trying to convince the misses to grant permission for me to take a trip from SF to Denver through as many National Parks as I can get to, but that one might have to wait a little longer.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
While my overall mileage was down this year, (some due to I'm an ATTGAT guy and don't want to pull leathers on when it's already 95 degrees) the miles I did get were all quality.
The most memorable was this one with my riding buddy to a tourist trap after season. The most perfect weather, roads and traffic of all season.
Smile Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
2021 had a late start for me. I noticed a slight oil leak which turned out the be the rear main seal. Due to the parts shortage it took two prime months out of the riding season.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Eager to make up on lost time I put on 3000 miles in the first month after receiving the bike back. This included a trip through Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. A storm followed me on the ride north, which turned into 12 hours of non-stop pouring rain. The waterproof luggage had no issues, but my "waterproof" riding pants did not fair as well.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Water

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Fuel tank

Jeans Leg Dress Knee Thigh

After the trip, I put the heavily worn TKC70's to the test on a few unmaintained town roads, as practice for 2022 offroad riding. The bike made it with no issues, but new knobbier tires will go on for 2022.

Plant Tire Plant community Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Fuel tank

2022 will hopefully prove to be a better year with many more trips. The first trip will be the 1400mi North East Backcountry Discover Route, which is mostly dirt oriented roads/trails from Pennsylvania, through New England, all the way to Canada. Looking forward to putting the bike through its paces and racking up the dirt miles.

Ecoregion World Map Slope Line

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Another feel good and well thought out discussion topic @TimC. I doff my cap to you, sir 🎩

Favourite trip of 2021 year was to Exmoor National Park, UK. Left at the crack of dawn and, whilst climbing to the top of Porlock Hill, broke through the mist and into the sunshine. Lots of tight, steep and technical roads, a few water crossings and the isolation of the moors made the trip particularly memorable. Just me and my R Nine T. It was a good opportunity to really get to know each other. More on the trip on this thread if anyone would like to know more.

Trip to Exmoor National Park, UK

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Cloud

In 2022 Id really like to visit the Western Isles of Scotland (otherwise known as the Outdoor Hebrides). Have wanted to visit for several years but struggled to make it fit with work and family commitments. Lots of raw landscapes, culture and isolation to discover. And occasionally a chance to glimpse the northern lights too.

Welcome to the Outer Hebrides

Wishing everyone all the best for their 2022 riding season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.