BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
Some members, in other posts have remarked on the difference that a steering damper or lack of it makes, to the steering effort.
Try riding without it.
OR
Try an after-market item e.g. Ohlins, Hyperpro. These are adjustable.
That could be a point, or tyres. But maybe it's just he needs to re-learn how his new bike behaves.

Registered
Hi DC. looks like you and I share a similar looking ride. The Bean has the stock BMW Karoo rubbers on her and in my experience they work pretty fair, with the understanding that they are compromise tires. They do a fair job in the dirt and a fair job on the street, however, dependent on your level of riding they will not perform like a full on street tire or full on dirt tyre.

During my break in on the stock rubbers I rode with some trepidation as the rubbers were a bit sketchy feeling. I talked with a friend, who has years of pro race experience, and asked what his feeling were, he said these tyres work well until they don't, kind of all or nothing. I have to agree, until I was coming up on my break in mileage/km going into the twisties was a bit white knuckling for me. Same feeling in the dirt, however, as I wore down the sharp corners on my skins they became more comfortable to me.

Honestly I can't say if that is because I am more comfortable or the rubbers were coming into their own. Now with the miles/km piling on I feel these are very adequate tyres and will do just fine until I wear them out at which point I will try out something else. I believe TimC suggested to me some Conti TKC 70 Rocks. I will probably go close to that direction next as I believe the side profile will give me the corner power I am used to on the street and the block sections will give me the grip I like on the single tracks.

I ride pretty hard, both on and off the pavement so in a good and perfect world just one set/type of tire may not be the complete answer and it will come down to your own style of riding. A compromise tyre is not a bad thing as long as you remember as a compromise they are a little good and a little bad...

Cheers, Bean
Nice write up... totally agreeable. Im going around in circles for my next tyre choice very impressed with bridgestone ax41s but went too wide at 180 causing too steep tyre angle at the last 10mm of edges. Metz karoo street seem to get peg dragging reviews... i dont mind if low kms ie 4000/ 6000.

Registered
2021 Urban
I have the same tyres and I know what you mean. (UGS) I love the handling but takes some getting used to. Other bikes you just turn in, the UGS/scrambler you have to apply a bit more 鈥榠ntention鈥 to get it over. Takes some getting used to but as others have said, will lean as much as you want it to.

I would find a nice 90 degree safe bend and start slow, building up speed through the corner. It鈥檚 actually one of the many features I love about the bike.

Registered
English Style bike riding vs continental Style?. I麓m not sure how say "English style" in English. In Spanish "English Style" means to lean only bike but with your body straightened up. This Style is very helpful when low speed in twisty roads. (Picture 2)

Continental is standar. You mantein your body aligned with rest of bike...(Picture 1)

Registered
Lets be fair. Scrambler is not offroad bike and offroad tires are just for looks. I always put on street tires. Currently I am deciding between Bridgestone T32, Pirelli Angel GT or even maybe Dunlp Mutant. However with OEM Metzeler Tourance Next I could easyly follow street bikes and scrape pegs. I did however changed suspension to full ohlind but I did also not have any problems with stock suspension.
All great option from my research too may also find avon st spirits and Michelin pilot road / trail 5s and the anakee adventure as off road 80/20 tyre.
Hello Guys,

just asking your opinions....

just bought a scrambler and I feel its hard for it to lean...never head a scrambler before and i wonder...

is this common for this type of bike? i really need to push down for it to lean....

Thank you in advance!

Hi you have many exellent replies ( great forum) above is my thoughts on the scrambler and ax41s tyres and i little on handling on a track day.

My initial thoughts on urban gs essentially the same as the scrambler i ended up buying was ... 'Yuck the big old whale' from the 1st corner.. I then chased a golf gti through a tight twisty section and has a ' whale of a time' ( sorry cheesy) but honestly i came back and thought i had a blast just good fun hustling it through the bends and learning to ride it diffently to the mv augusta f3 800 and husqvarna nuda i had at the time...

Now like many of the replies its also definately one of my favorites its characteristics is the charm of riding it and its actually pretty quick as its so stable mid and exit corners even standard Suspension which no dout would be easily improved with upgrades.

Eg a local corner is 110km in my utes. And 135km on the nuda ( really great hangling on newzealands earthquake riddled bumpy roads) after a track day and good weather.. I jumped on tbe scrambler went through at 120km no effort stable as its easy and a joyfully planted just the initiation into the corner is as other have discribed..

Tyres, steering head angle, ( id like to lift the rear by 20 to 30mm maybe!) damper, suspension , 19" wheel. The keel effect of those big cylinder heads are all factors but they also make it what it is.

More of a waffle sorry.

Anyway i like it.. And compare it to multiple bikes.

Registered
Ps. i also changed the handle bars to a flatter less swept back 'tag mx bar' , for me this much improves the ergonomics bringing me forward over the tank for leaning into the bend.

Apologies for gramer and spelling in this or previous posts....its not my best quality , but I'm also using my phone i can only see 2 lines at a time- which gets tricky. I recently bought an ftr1200 as direct comparison to bmw scrambler, it's a very different bike to ride despite being in the same style classification. I feel the bmw is easier to ride quickly but this may well be due to the highly criticized dunlop dt3 tyres on the FTR. possibly the bmw would quicker on a race track with like tyres, ill find out one day:) once ive got rid of the dunlop dt3's.

Registered
I am not sure. Also I don麓t Know if it is different in each country...

Refering to Bridgestone AX41S. Their "speed code" (I don麓t know how say in English) is H.

If you see your Ninet instructions or user book you can see your tires has to be at least V. And H is not enough.

In fact my tires are W. Bridgestone T30 evo (180/55 ZR17 73W).

Mentioned only to check and ponder.

Registered

Refering to Bridgestone AX41S. Their "speed code" (I don麓t know how say in English) is H.

If you see your Ninet instructions or user book you can see your tires has to be at least V. And H is not enough.

Hi the ax41 are much more off road bias, whereas the az41S is for scrambler or street the were made for the bmw scrambler as i understand it but the 's' could easily stand for Street as the are very road orientated. The Conti tkc80s get great on and off road reviews if your looking for a 50/50 tyre most people report the on road handling is very good still allowing for lean angles in the bends on road.

Registered
Lelc2 said:

Great information and worth noting if exceeding 130mph on H tyres.
Please see the ax41s review on handling on bmw gs.

Slightly off topic with tyres but also talking about profile and tipping into corners.

Registered
Hi the ax41 are much more off road bias, whereas the az41S is for scrambler or street the were made for the bmw scrambler as i understand it but the 's' could easily stand for Street as the are very road orientated. The Conti tkc80s get great on and off road reviews if your looking for a 50/50 tyre most people report the on road handling is very good still allowing for lean angles in the bends on road.
In my case (Pure), I suppose I would choose TKC70. It is W. I prefer to acomplish with manufacturer recommendations.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
600km Update:

The bike is leaning more and more as im getting to know the machine

the battlax are performing well, getting a bit more stickier... here in Riyadh the asphalt temperature is close to 50C so that helps i think?

Loving the bike...

Registered
I got the scrambler 2021 with low suspension. Dude it leans! Maybe you dont use much of counter steer and dont trust the bike?

Registered
Thank you Tim , it would nice to find out more !

i have the BRIDGESTONE BATTLE AX ADVENTURE 41

anybody has any experience with this tyres?
Hi i have a 2017 scrambler with ax41s tyres. I think my suspension travel is less than yours on the newer model.

It depends on what you have come from?

My 1st impression of the scrambler was how heavy it was to initiate the turn in, however it is something ive got used to and actually enjoy as part og the character and skill required setting up for the corner once in an lent over i think it behaves very well stable and predictable. Throttle control seams important as i feel the keith code California superbike school philosophy works well for this bike as apposed to heavy trail braking into corners for me doesnt initiate the turn as well as on some other bikes. The thing is just so dam stable, i liken those cylinder heads to a yatch's keal.
I like the ax41s ive had them on a track day and was impressed with how they coped. Ive got a 180 on the rear which is too wide for the spoke rims as pulls the profile round too much. But if you have a 160?? It may be a flat profile on the rear , i dont know. I did see this tyre on a ducati scrambler and i thought it looked like a flat profile unlike mine.
Tyres can make a huge difference in feel.

Registered
2018 r nine t pure
I just recently put TKC70s on my pure and I'm blown away by how easily it leans, so much so it caught me off guard at first and took some getting used to.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts