BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R9T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 2021 RNine T. I absolutely love it!
I ordered both a Vance and Hines slip on and one from Akrapovic from Revzilla.
The Akrapovic requires ordering mid pipe separately which I did and the V and H comes with one.
Both were ordered as fitting a 2020.
Since I have a 2021 I called BMW to insure no changes in the exhaust system. Two different dealers told me the part numbers for the butterfly valve the mid pipe attaches to were the same for both years.

BOTH of the mid pipe connectors are too small to go on. The are smaller diameter than that end of the OEM duel exhaust.

Has anyone installed? Ideas? Am I missing something or am I dumb? <---- perhaps?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Scot

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about.

On my Two-Brothers slip on and even my old Akropovic Catless headers, the ends where it connects to the "butterfly valve section" for me was just a tiny bit small, though I think it was more or less likely that the end pipes were not a perfect circle, which prevented the ends of the slip-on and catless headers from sliding in.

What I did is went to my local O'Reilly's Auto part store and loaned out an exhaust pipe expander (AutoZone and Advance Auto also has this as a free tool loaner). I was able to expand the pipe at the ends of the slip-on and headers just enough to squeeze in the section. (remember to only expand the ends that goes on the outside)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
That’s the ticket. If Starman’s correct and it’s just ovaled you can correct it. If it’s actually different size tube you can anneal the pipe and use the same tool to actually enlarge it slightly. Have at it .. and get back to us when you figure it out. Maybe a sound bite with your bike running and the different new mufflers. Rev it up a bit too. Thanks .....Blitz

·
Registered
2021 R9T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I know what you're talking about.

On my Two-Brothers slip on and even my old Akropovic Catless headers, the ends where it connects to the "butterfly valve section" for me was just a tiny bit small, though I think it was more or less likely that the end pipes were not a perfect circle, which prevented the ends of the slip-on and catless headers from sliding in.

What I did is went to my local O'Reilly's Auto part store and loaned out an exhaust pipe expander (AutoZone and Advance Auto also has this as a free tool loaner). I was able to expand the pipe at the ends of the slip-on and headers just enough to squeeze in the section. (remember to only expand the ends that goes on the outside)

Thank you so much for this, seems like this will work well!!! It's just a hair too small as it is. I didn't know such a thing existed!

·
Registered
2021 R9T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s the ticket. If Starman’s correct and it’s just ovaled you can correct it. If it’s actually different size tube you can anneal the pipe and use the same tool to actually enlarge it slightly. Have at it .. and get back to us when you figure it out. Maybe a sound bite with your bike running and the different new mufflers. Rev it up a bit too. Thanks .....Blitz
Thank you. I'll see how it sounds!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts