BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R NineT Cross wire spokes, Scrambler
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Corona Pandemic keeping me cooped-up, 15 months have passed since my last ‘over-niter’ ride with my riding buddies. We are all fully vaccinated and summer riding season was upon us, so off we went.

Four days 3 nights, staying in Chelan and riding out approximately 170 miles per day. I live in the Puget Sound region of Washington State. My home on Vashon Island is a ferry ride and 25 minutes SW of Seattle.

Attached is a 3-minute video of our trip. We usually manage to squeeze in 3 or 4 of over-niter rides each summer and hope to get in a few more this year.

For the people who live outside the US I added a few figures on costs, and here are several more:

Lodging for 3 nights, 2 separate rooms, 2 beds per room, cost $564. Split 4 ways each rider paid $141.00.
Fuel costs are approximately $4.00 / gallon ($1.05 /liter).
Beer (Deschutes Mirror Pond) is $9.00 for 6-12oz (350cc) bottles. A 750cc bottle of Yellow Tail (Australia) wine is $6.00. We kept the store busy…

Traffic in the Seattle metropolitan areas is horrible. Eastern Washington is wide-open country and sparsely populated, and people are polite and courteous. We could ride easily at 60-70 MPH on most rural roads, and did not see a single police or law enforcement vehicle for the entire trip.

The weather was unseasonably warm… too warm at 85F by midday and approaching 100F by 1600. We would depart at 0800 and be home by 1530.

The route we chose to cross the Cascade mountain range which divides Washington State, was Highway 2, over Stevens Pass, elevation 4,000 ft (1238m). This is an older road and traffic is slower than the interstate highway (I-90) and far more relaxing for casual motorcycle travel.

Video: https://youtu.be/3eJdMmkoslY

Ciao,
Dick Casey
Vashon Island, Washington

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
37 Posts
Hi Dick:
Life long WA resident and 40+ year BMW rider.
Next time you and your friends ride North Cascades, be sure to include these roads on your itinerary.
Some of the best roads in E. WA I have found.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey I'm on Vashon too! Maury actually. I love riding out to the Wintrhop area. Just did a quick overnighter about a month ago. Was surprised to see 5G connectivity, didn't even bother with the hotel wifi. The passes were still nice and damp/chilly with snow. Took i90 out and stevens pass on the way home.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey I'm on Vashon too! Maury actually. I love riding out to the Wintrhop area. Just did a quick overnighter about a month ago. Was surprised to see 5G connectivity, didn't even bother with the hotel wifi. The passes were still nice and damp/chilly with snow. Took i90 out and stevens pass on the way home.
Do we know one another? I'm on Bachelor Rd. What are you riding?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do we know one another? I'm on Bachelor Rd. What are you riding?
Lets be friends. Moved here last fall. I don't know anyone on the island really, I'm over by Sandy Shores/Dockton. You might know my neighbor, he's into bikes and his wife is a former commercial pilot.

I'm always surprised by how small this world is. Over winter I sold my car to someone on the island and he said he helped build my house lol.

I'm on an Urban GS, you'll see it parked out by o solo mio and island queen often =)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m on Bachelor Rd, 30 seconds from the south end ferry. There’s a group of us that meet every Friday at somebody’s garage or hanger. I’ll send you a PM on this forum and we can chat off forum.

Ciao,
Dc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts