BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday I stopped in my local Dealer and had the 6k service and bi-annual service done. I'm sure I could have bought the necessary stands and tools to handle the valve clearance and throttle but I wanted a good mechanic to go over the bike since this is the first service after I bought it used at 4,300 miles in Jan/Feb. It has about 6,500 on it now.

Everything was in good working order, battery is still good even though the bike is a 2017.

Every Saturday at Bob's is a no appointment needed, first come first serve day. I decided to get there when they opened only to be #18 in line. I came prepared with a thermos full of coffee, insulated bottle of water and snacks since I knew the service would take a few hours. I ended up being there from 9am to 2:30pm (service was actually faster than originally quoted). Normally waiting for service this long would have been a miserable experience but it was one of the best days I had in a while. So many cool bikes and cool guys to talk with the hours flew by. All the staff were really friendly and you just knew they rode as well it was like being at a car/bike meet but at dealer.

I'm not sure that I will end up doing my own service like I had planned. It should only be once a year and I think I'll just show up on a sunny Saturday morning, drink some coffee and enjoy the motorcycling camaraderie.

If I remember I'll add some photos I took.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,065 Posts
I'm glad you had a good experience. I had been planning to do my own 6k service, but ended up making an appointment for later this month at the local BMW dealer shop. I'm not actually due for the oil change yet, since I changed it when my riding season started this spring, but it won't hurt to have it done again after 3,500 miles since I did it.

I'll likely buy a GS-911 and valve check feeler and shim kit later this year, so hopefully I can do these services myself in the future.

I also need new tires, so I'm going to overpay for those, plus pay for the on-bike tire changes, but this should be the only time with this bike. I bought a Becker Technik lifter stand from a forum member for future use and I have a rear paddock stand on order. By the next time I need tires I should be able to pop the wheels off to save some dough.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just had my tires done at 20k miles at my nearest motorrad dealer and threw in an oil change just because I was all the way in town and why not, oil change is cheap and quick.

WRONG. $170 for an oil change. They didn't even reset the SERV D wrench alert.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
555 Posts
Bob's is great. It is where I bought my bike and where I have some trust in them doing things right. I do my own oil and other assorted fluids/brakes, but when my 6000 came around I went there just to have them do the valve clearance and throttle sync since I didn't have the necessary tool to sync the throttle and had a reasonable assumption my bike would need a shim. I was right, the bike needed a valve shim and having them do it saved me from pulling the valve covers, measuring, ordering the correct shim (or a shim pack) and waiting a week to have them delivered.

Sure buying the throttle sync tool and a shim pack would have run about the same price as my service, but it was an excuse for a ride and I do like to give them a little business now and then even though it is about an hour from home.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
392 Posts
I'm not sure that I will end up doing my own service like I had planned. It should only be once a year and I think I'll just show up on a sunny Saturday morning, drink some coffee and enjoy the motorcycling camaraderie.
Good to hear about a good dealer experience, for a change!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bob's is great. When I travel to the area, I still stop in just because. Much more engaging than my experiences with dealers here in south FL.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Just stopped by Bob's today to pick up a couple of things, one a Berlin Built V-neck shirt fo my mother. She is a Berliner. Bob's crew is very approachable, knowledgeable and friendly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts