BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
589 Posts
Sunday I was able to cake more mud on my bike ;) Then the devil got into me and I attacked a sandy two-lane track between two canals in the Everglades. That had quite the pucker factor - loose sand is not something I know how to handle (yet?). I read I'm supposed to "float" the tires over sand, but with murky ditches on both sides I did not have the nerve to speed up. But I made it.

Did I mention I need off-road training? No? :LOL:
@Parkblu I salute you for taking the RNineT out to those excursions, although it will reach its limits relatively early. These tires help, but the rest of the bike will be really beat up and that’s probably not worth it. I’d recommend to rent lighter models instead from people like RawHyde, Ride Adventure or others and pick the level of difficulty according to your confidence. There are plenty of great sandpits even here in the US: CABDR, Cabo, Colorado etc. Honestly, I hardly would want to use my own bike for those hardcore trails. Too much stuff just falls off or gets scratched easily.

Another plus: no alligaters in those other places out West😉

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
@Norbi, your point is on the money. I wouldn't use my bike for any training, and don't foresee hardcore off-roading with it. Plus it's not built for that. But I do want to able to go on unpaved roads and tracks with confidence, thus my longing for training. It's a bit like eating: If you know how to polish off a lobster you sure know how to eat a burger – but not vice versa. (Um... was that a good metaphor? :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, Nine T Scrambler soon
95 Posts
I had the Pirelli Scorpion Rally on my previous bike, great on the dirt, good on the road

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
419 Posts
I had the Pirelli Scorpion Rally on my previous bike, great on the dirt, good on the road
As I said a few posts ago, I have them now on. I'm very happy, but need to ask you: do they do a particular rolling noise? It's some kind of cyclic resonance at about 60 and 120 kph, or shall I worry about my wheels ball bearings?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
The TKC-70s also hum a bit – to be expected with a smaller land/sea ratio – but so far unobtrusive. Haven't had them up to speed yet.

·
Registered
R9teees
395 Posts
I’m running the “anarchy” adventures at the moment on the urban. There’s been a lot of good talk about the Dunlop missions. Those are my next sneakers.

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
154 Posts
I like Avon tyres,… have a look at the trailrider tyres from them, seems exactly what you are looking for. I have Metzeler on my bike now, but will be going back to Avon, they didnt have the 260tyre i wanted, but now produce them…

RJ

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
419 Posts
Same, they are noisy
Ok, that's what I wanted to hear, just wanted to be sure nothing 'mechanical' to be watched after.

Thank you,

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
419 Posts
Yesterday I tried to go a bit off on a dirt road, that became all of a sudden very steep downhill with mid size loose rocks. I'm not experienced in off-road, so with the friend I was travelling around with, we decided to stop and turn back, our main concern was not to be able to come back on such combination of steepness and terrain.

After turning the bikes back, I realised that it was much more an issue of confidence in our capabilities, because the bikes went up (both with the Pirellis) with no difficulty.

Anyhow, better safe than sorry :cool:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts