BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Banned
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer reckons he has inside info that BMW are going to bring out a semi custom bobber version of the 9T.
Apparently they've been impressed with how well Triumph did with their bobber and are going after the same market.
I've been told to expect relatively high bar position, single seat with no subframe and very low riding position, and a completely new tank design.
They reckon it'll be announced towards the end of the year.
Sounds interesting

· Registered
BMW R nineT /5
159 Posts
There has been a few photos of an R18 bobber. Personally not what I want, but I think the best looking iteration of an R18. So this will be a mini me version on the R9T chassis then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banned
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that was written in 2016 but that doesn't rule it out.
There may not have been certainty that the 9T would evolve through euro 5 but now that it has it makes sense to milk the platform for all its worth.
I don't see a conflict with the R18 any more than the Triumph bobber with the Rocket 3.
The beauty of the shared platform is that new versions can be risked without significant financial losses if it fails.
The Racer and urban g/s being examples.
All it cost them was the price of a few additional body work parts and in the case of the Racer, handlebar yokes and mirrors.
Pocket change for a company like BMW.
I think a bobber would compliment the range perfectly.
I suppose it could end up looking something like this

· Registered
172 Posts
My dealer reckons he has inside info that BMW are going to bring out a semi custom bobber version of the 9T.
Apparently they've been impressed with how well Triumph did with their bobber and are going after the same market.
I've been told to expect relatively high bar position, single seat with no subframe and very low riding position, and a completely new tank design.
Sounds interesting
Funnily enough, the last time I was chatting to the Triumph sales bod - he told me that fashion had moved on and that bobber sales have now peaked. Bobbers are just so last year dahling! Or in my words "there's a deal to be had if you have the cash and don't mind being a follower rather than a trend setter"! Also the market demand for 2nd hand (pre-owned) bobbers is quite 'niche'! Demographics and conservatism amongst those who buy bikes is also a big factor - just look at what models do sell in volume (and those that don't) even within the BMW range.

· Banned
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funnily enough, the last time I was chatting to the Triumph sales bod - he told me that fashion had moved on and that bobber sales have now peaked. Bobbers are just so last year dahling! Or in my words "there's a deal to be had if you have the cash and don't mind being a follower rather than a trend setter"! Also the market demand for 2nd hand (pre-owned) bobbers is quite 'niche'! Demographics and conservatism amongst those who buy bikes is also a big factor - just look at what models do sell in volume (and those that don't) even within the BMW range.
Yes our world is very fickle and the bandwagons trips are very short.
BMW may have left it too long.

· Registered
2015 R NineT
20 Posts
A Roland Sands design, perhaps?

I just watched that video. What is that hardware dressing up the speedo? Custom RSD stuff? Makes that crappy looking gauge step-up look sweet.

· Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,648 Posts
Yes, RSD released the speedo housing surround and a headlight trim ring that smartened up the looks a lot.
Haven't been available for a few years now, and secondhand ones are worth a kings ransom. :eek:

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Let’s see how serial model will looks like. I like Triumph Bobber.

· Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,648 Posts
single seat with no subframe and very low riding position,
Interested to see how they achieve this using the current frame arrangement under the rider's seat.
Maybe an alternative lowered portion. :unsure:

· Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,648 Posts
It's been achieved.
See my previous photo,
That picture appears to show only lowered suspension, the seat is still in the stock position.
I think a bobber would look better with the actual seat lowered relative to the rest of the frame.

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

· Premium Member
337 Posts
That picture appears to show only lowered suspension, the seat is still in the stock position.
I think a bobber would look better with the actual seat lowered relative to the rest of the frame.
Aye, Captain. Agreed.

For people with shorter legs, the stock seat bracket and seating position turns out to be not very helpful — even on my factory lowered Pure, for example. (My main issue is the difficulty in getting up close to the tank.) But the way it’s all engineered is really hard to modify to bring the seat any lower, or closer to the tank.

Sitting on the Triumph Bobber, though, was a dream, even for me with my legs: completely flat-footed and knees well bent. I still went the BMW route and don’t regret it, but to have a combination of the 9T with the T-Bobber’s seating position would be the best of both worlds. Fingers crossed BMW actually makes this!

· Registered
28 Posts
Sounds interesting
Thanks for sharing this. I did not know about this. I hope it happens! At first impression, would love to trade up my RnineT racer for this. On second thought, already paid it up and do not see significant “cool” factor or features to upgrade. However, excited to see this in showrooms!

this lineup is older - but still a great platform!

· Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I did not know about this. I hope it happens! At first impression, would love to trade up my RnineT racer for this. On second thought, already paid it up and do not see significant “cool” factor or features to upgrade. However, excited to see this in showrooms!

this lineup is older - but still a great platform!
Thank you for sharing my thoughts exactly! I own a 2018 RNineT Racer, 7,300 miles (decent amount of riding for the weather in Cleveland OH). I agree, at first thought this bike would be great. But for the cool factor...not at all. The racer is a special look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.