BMW NineT Forum banner

9T bobber in the pipeline

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  MRG_RNineT 
#1 ·
My dealer reckons he has inside info that BMW are going to bring out a semi custom bobber version of the 9T.
Apparently they've been impressed with how well Triumph did with their bobber and are going after the same market.
I've been told to expect relatively high bar position, single seat with no subframe and very low riding position, and a completely new tank design.
They reckon it'll be announced towards the end of the year.
Sounds interesting

#5 ·
Well that was written in 2016 but that doesn't rule it out.
There may not have been certainty that the 9T would evolve through euro 5 but now that it has it makes sense to milk the platform for all its worth.
I don't see a conflict with the R18 any more than the Triumph bobber with the Rocket 3.
The beauty of the shared platform is that new versions can be risked without significant financial losses if it fails.
The Racer and urban g/s being examples.
All it cost them was the price of a few additional body work parts and in the case of the Racer, handlebar yokes and mirrors.
Pocket change for a company like BMW.
I think a bobber would compliment the range perfectly.
I suppose it could end up looking something like this

#8 ·
My dealer reckons he has inside info that BMW are going to bring out a semi custom bobber version of the 9T.
Apparently they've been impressed with how well Triumph did with their bobber and are going after the same market.
I've been told to expect relatively high bar position, single seat with no subframe and very low riding position, and a completely new tank design.
Sounds interesting
Funnily enough, the last time I was chatting to the Triumph sales bod - he told me that fashion had moved on and that bobber sales have now peaked. Bobbers are just so last year dahling! Or in my words "there's a deal to be had if you have the cash and don't mind being a follower rather than a trend setter"! Also the market demand for 2nd hand (pre-owned) bobbers is quite 'niche'! Demographics and conservatism amongst those who buy bikes is also a big factor - just look at what models do sell in volume (and those that don't) even within the BMW range.

#10 ·
A Roland Sands design, perhaps?

I just watched that video. What is that hardware dressing up the speedo? Custom RSD stuff? Makes that crappy looking gauge step-up look sweet.

#11 ·
Yes, RSD released the speedo housing surround and a headlight trim ring that smartened up the looks a lot.
Haven't been available for a few years now, and secondhand ones are worth a kings ransom. :eek:

#13 ·
single seat with no subframe and very low riding position,
Interested to see how they achieve this using the current frame arrangement under the rider's seat.
Maybe an alternative lowered portion. :unsure:

#17 ·
Sounds interesting
Thanks for sharing this. I did not know about this. I hope it happens! At first impression, would love to trade up my RnineT racer for this. On second thought, already paid it up and do not see significant “cool” factor or features to upgrade. However, excited to see this in showrooms!

this lineup is older - but still a great platform!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.