BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Nine T Pure 719 Aluminum
57 Posts
I'm all for the retro look with modern features. There is no reason I should suffer through the bumps as they throw me in every direction when I can upgrade the suspension without changing the retro look. Plus a higher tech adjustable suspension will actually make the 9t faster in the twisties ;-)

·
Registered
580 Posts
The stock rear suspension on the Urban G/S is a piece of garbage.. and does not belong on a 16k euro motorcycle.. it's a disgrace.

It has nothing to do with the bike being "basic".. Since when is basic the same as bad quality. My stock urban suspension threw me around on potholes / cobblestone streets making a very bad ride. Now with the Wilbers the bike handles how it should out of factory.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I'm all for the retro look with modern features. There is no reason I should suffer through the bumps as they throw me in every direction when I can upgrade the suspension without changing the retro look. Plus a higher tech adjustable suspension will actually make the 9t faster in the twisties ;-)
I can agree somewhat that adjustable suspension can help but in my limited experience I’ve found that speed in the twisties is usually more about the rider than the suspension. Your right that BMW went basic ($) but compared to the other equivalent basic bike brands out there they are far and away better than most. I don’t ride on many bad surfaces, all paved all maintained and few pot holes (rarely freezes in Texas) so I can understand if the infrastructure in your area isn’t as attentive. I like the road connection and feel at high speed and not that undulating mushy “riding the wave” kind of feeling I’ve gotten on many other bikes when you soften up the edge … as usual, it comes down to the same conclusion .. Each to his own. StayUpOn2 Anyway you can !
…..Blitz

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gold Wing!!! That suspension is worse than the 9T!! Even though I'm 73yo I'm used to a better working suspension. My background is more on the sports side. The last bikes I've owned: 03 Aprilia Tuono V2, Moto Guzzi Griso, EBR 1190SX, 2015 Norton Commando & now the R9T. Except for the Norton & the Griso I've changed their suspension. But they were better stock than the 9T is. The 9T is borderline dangerous on anything other than smooth roads stock. But now I REALLY love my 9T... The Griso & EBR are now gone.

By the way. I live in RI. Noted for bad roads

·
Registered
2016 RNineT
89 Posts
I don’t have a problem with the suspension, but I did need to adjust it quite a bit to get it feeling right. The only 2 examples given in the manual are 100% hard or 100% soft, so you will have to experiment. Tires and tire pressure will have an effect as well. Depends on riding style I guess.

I sort of feel like r NineT gets unfairly labeled: “automatically replace suspension upon purchase” the same way most sport/race/track bike folks unfairly think “automatically replace exhaust upon purchase” . Don’t be trendy, decide for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I don’t have a problem with the suspension, but I did need to adjust it quite a bit to get it feeling right. The only 2 examples given in the manual are 100% hard or 100% soft, so you will have to experiment. Tires and tire pressure will have an effect as well. Depends on riding style I guess.

I sort of feel like r NineT gets unfairly labeled: “automatically replace suspension upon purchase” the same way most sport/race/track bike folks unfairly think “automatically replace exhaust upon purchase” . Don’t be trendy, decide for yourself.
Well put FunkTion29, my Papa used to say, “Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke” I ride the hell out of my bike and I’ve NO complaints. For what I paid I got my money’s worth and then some. For the fun I’ve had it was well worth it. Now as KidThunder pointed out it works best on the highway with good conditions and he’s correct. This bike (Classic) is built for looking good while cruzing the main drag … not riding narrow cobble streets or pot holed highways. It’s not a comfortable ride what ever your doing, wasn’t meant to be and doesn’t claim to be either. Do what you must gentlemen until your happy … then shut up and ride……Blitz

Reactions: 14060M

·
Registered
59 Posts
It´s strange that the forum members have so different views on the suspension! I think mine is ok, I have no problem on trackdays to keep up with real sportbikes in the corners, it feels very stable. It,s only in corners with bumps I have to be more careful. On steet I think it´s fine. The main reason for me to upgrade would be to get a little more ride height to gain ground clearance. I know that Öhlins and other expensice brands have very small tolerances in the production, and I guess that Sachs don´t have that and that will give big differnces in the quality (and price). I may have got a good one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I kind of agree with you Niklas Biller on what you said. BUT! Around here the race tracks are MUCH smoother than the streets. On the track, as long as you can keep up, the bike feels ok, with a little more ride height. But I don't track this bike & with the stock suspension on the street, it's brutal.

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
10 Posts
It´s strange that the forum members have so different views on the suspension! I think mine is ok, I have no problem on trackdays to keep up with real sportbikes in the corners, it feels very stable. It,s only in corners with bumps I have to be more careful. On steet I think it´s fine. The main reason for me to upgrade would be to get a little more ride height to gain ground clearance. I know that Öhlins and other expensice brands have very small tolerances in the production, and I guess that Sachs don´t have that and that will give big differnces in the quality (and price). I may have got a good one.
I wonder if the stock suspension has a narrow sweet spot related to the riders weight. I think we should all declare our weight with our view of the suspension. After reading how bad the suspension is on the R9T I was pleasantly surprised when I test rode., and subsequently bought, my Pure. It’s not the best suspension I’ve ridden but it’s certainly not the bone breaking, life threatening, suspension some suffer. I described it as adequate elsewhere in this forum.

The RaceTech site will tell you what front fork spring rate you should have and what the stock is. The stock matched my weight for the Pure!

I’m 175lbs. I noticed BlitzSchnell, who has a positive view, is also 175pounds.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,467 Posts
I wonder if the stock suspension has a narrow sweet spot related to the riders weight. I think we should all declare our weight with our view of the suspension. After reading how bad the suspension is on the R9T I was pleasantly surprised when I test rode., and subsequently bought, my Pure. It’s not the best suspension I’ve ridden but it’s certainly not the bone breaking, life threatening, suspension some suffer. I described it as adequate elsewhere in this forum.

The RaceTech site will tell you what front fork spring rate you should have and what the stock is. The stock matched my weight for the Pure!

I'm 180 lbs. and I never thought the stock suspension was terrible on my Pure.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts

I hear you Mart, loud and clear. Everyone feels normal (or at least close) when they could be a bit past what would be seen as “normal” …. Indeed they will need suspension adjustments and a few new holes in their belt. I NEVER fully trust an opinion about ANYTHING, see for yourself, experience for yourself. Never make your mind up till YOU have first hand knowledge … or you’ll surely miss out on some cool sh*t. Be your own best advocate. You’ll never be mislead or miss out on anything. 👍 ……Blitz StayUpOn2🏍

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
My rides are short jaunts within 100 miles of home. Yesterday I began to study my riding style. I was curious as to why I get tired, after all I’m just sitting down ..the bike is doing all the work, then I realized just how much work it really is to hold on in confident control. I ride like a jockey on the balls of my feet. I seriously grip the tank at all times with my knees and I apply a lot of pressure on the pegs with my feet and legs. I grip the bars to feel every bump and pull they have to offer me. I always think how good it feels to be one with the machine. I realize now just how my posture helps absorb the roads abuse to my body. I ride with what I figure is about a third my body weight on the foot pegs… taking a pot hole or heavy dip in the road is sooo much easier than feeling the seat vault me a foot off the bike. Now after riding with that focus for an hour or so I began to realize why it begins to wear me out as well as how rare it is I get caught off guard and get my head snapped or bite my lip. It’s because of diligent focus …many times with my heart in my throat from going much to fast just for the thrill and challenge of control. I ride not for transportation, I have much more comfortable vehicles for that. I ride for thrills and the meditation of singular focus. My mind stops all the wandering ..all the gibberish voices and irrelevant conversations and focuses on one task, get back home alive. When I do..It’s no wonder why it’s time for food a hot tub and a little whisky. Its no wonder why I don’t mind the tight suspension and uncomfortable posture. It’s all about the thrill and this bike has it in spades. I’ll StayUpOn2 until I fall down and can’t get up again,
We all ride for different reasons. The trick is to pick the bike, the suspension and power that suits you goals best. The platform we ride is one of the most adaptable machines I have found … just so happens my riding style fall right in the center of factory issue. Lucky me !
…..Blitz

Reactions: Norbi

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
125 Posts
I bought a 2021 Scrambler about a week ago...... ordered a rear shock already (Nitron) .... and... as just a start.... some fork springs. I'm fussy about vehicle suspension.... it was obvious after a few tweeks of the rear shock that it was going to be 50% at best.... even with a new spring. Possibly I'll go some fork inserts at some stage.... or add some YSS fork valves.... I'm about 100kg all up... no pillion and all riding is semi country 2nd roads with average surfaces.

·
Registered
21 R9T
178 Posts
I'm at 24k miles on my 2018 and I've had no issues with the suspension ever holding me back. It completely aligns with the spirit of the model - basic.

It's a basic bike. The suspension, the tech, the seating, the engine, all reflects this.
I genuinely believe it depends on your weight and height, the spring rate is perfect for me at 90 kg. The rear was tricky, get close and the rebound was to fast(yada yada yada), then moving at one hour of adjustment till presto-- big badda boom. Until them the rear end felt clunky. I have a bad urge to tart the girl up and you guys aren't helping, more petrol and good roads are my first aim.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts