BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good to know you made it through, this could’ve had a really bad ending. Definitely not something I thought could happen - fuel hitting the headers and catching fire.
For our bikes, does the overflow canister solve this problem at all or mitigate it somehow?
The charcoal canister doesn't catch liquid overflow. It's for capturing fuel vapors that would otherwise go into the atmosphere and instead get rerouted back through the motor. It wouldn't make a difference.

I never had an overflow problem in the 7 years I had my NineT.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Horrible news @Phenix3939

Glad you're doing okay, I hope the healing goes quickly.

Thanks for adding how important paying attention at the pump is. I've been caught off guard a few times when the pumps with the built in television screen start bleating out a commercial.

Good Luck.
Thanks man. I'm getting better each day.

I mentioned the TVs on the pump to my attorney and he thinks it's a valid point. Why would there be TVs on pumps to draw your attention if the fuel cutoff wasn't supposed to work every time? Not that I was even watching but a split second is all it takes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Flipping heck! Really relieved you are still here to tell the tale and are on the mend. Sounds like a defective gas pump as it should have cut off when it detected flow of fuel going past the nozzle. At least that's what happens in the UK!

Hoping you recover fully, mate!
It supposed to happen here too, just not this time. Glad it wasn't my last. I'm thinking I might go electric sooner than later. ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow, this is really something else. Sorry to hear about your bike and your injuries though it sounds like things could have been a lot worse. I work in healthcare and burns are no joke- wishing you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

Good reminder about paying attention at the pump. I've always been particularly cautious when filling up but mostly because I don't like the idea of spilling fuel on my bike but this puts a completely different spin on it.
Thanks, I'm past the worst of it. I'm like 70% better and already cutting back on meds. I have to say those silver pads for burns (Melipex AG) were incredible. My skin healed so fast in just 2 weeks of using them. I'm down to just Xenoform gauze and bacitracin.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So glad you didn't get hurt worse, and that it appears you'll make a full recovery.

The scary thing about all this is that there are still people who sit on the bike when they are fueling up. :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmm, this story like a fantasy and I believe its first accident like that in history. I can not even guess what cause the spark after overfilling.
We are in UK have petrol gun trigger removed in all stations, so no chance to leave it without attentions and you have technically no chance to overfill and spoil the floor. Full tank its not british cup of tea.
Pump can not produce the spark.
Bike with ignition off can not produce the spark.
So you are victim of conspiracy.
Wish you quick and full recovery!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hmm, this story like a fantasy and I believe its first accident like that in history. I can not even guess what cause the spark after overfilling.
We are in UK have petrol gun trigger removed in all stations, so no chance to leave it without attentions and you have technically no chance to overfill and spoil the floor. Full tank its not british cup of tea.
Pump can not produce the spark.
Bike with ignition off can not produce the spark.
So you are victim of conspiracy.
Wish you quick and full recovery!
Most fueling stations in the US don't have trigger locks either. I was holding the pump the whole time. Gasoline can ignite from high heat, like the headers, not just spark.

A quick Google search shows that It definitely happens, cars and bikes.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,351 Posts
Thanks man. I'm getting better each day.

I mentioned the TVs on the pump to my attorney and he thinks it's a valid point. Why would there be TVs on pumps to draw your attention if the fuel cutoff wasn't supposed to work every time? Not that I was even watching but a split second is all it takes.
Seriously, the embedded TV screens are one of the worst things I've seen come along in a long time. I hope you and your attorney pursue this avenue.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Geez that's the stuff of nightmares!!!

I can't begin to imagine what went through your mind as you were engulfed in flames.

Wishing you my very best for a full and speedy recovery @Phenix3939

Reactions: Phenix3939

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hmm, this story like a fantasy and I believe its first accident like that in history.
No. It's not. The National Fire Prevention Association reported that every year over 5,000 gas station fires are reported in the US. Thats more than 13 per day!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seriously, the embedded TV screens are one of the worst things I've seen come along in a long time. I hope you and your attorney pursue this avenue.
At many of these horrible stations where these very distracting and amazingly annoying TV screens blare forced advertising to their captive audience, pressing the second button from the top on the right of the screen often mutes the speaker. I usually mute it, then make a mental note to never return to that station again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The charcoal canister doesn't catch liquid overflow. It's for capturing fuel vapors that would otherwise go into the atmosphere and instead get rerouted back through the motor. It wouldn't make a difference.

I never had an overflow problem in the 7 years I had my NineT.
I thought it was for both? One line leads from the gas tank and catches vapor and overflow and routes it through the canister. Then one line leads back to the left cylinder (vapor) and one line leads to the ground (overflow)

·
Registered
7 Posts
sweet baby jesus....That is filed under !remember, important! You could have been blown to hell and Georgia and back.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts