BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like other owners, one of my NineT’s main improvements has been to remove the tubes ! Even if I like the spoke wheels, for sure more in accodance with heritage spirit, I don’t like to have tubes on a 2020 bike.

So after long time to search for a tubeless solution, I finally opted for the ACSchnitzer AC S10 wheels set which for me was not too modern wheels.

These wheels are beautiful CNC parts and they are very nice glossy black painted on my NineT.

BUT there is a big issue: The rear wheel is off-centered by 7mm to the left (muffler side) ! And it is confirmed by AC Schnitzer ?

I want to keep the original muffler and due to this important misalignment it is not really possible to mount the recommended 190x50 tire size for 6 inch rim. I have to stay with a 180x55 to keep enough space with the original muffler (only 4mm).

(7mm off-center added to the 6mm (0,5 inch /2) of the wider rim reduce clearance to muffler by 13mm in comparison with the original 5,5 rim)

I don’t understand why AC Schnitzer has defined this wrong off-center value and why TÜV (Austrian Certification Office) has certified it.
For me, I consider that it’s a design error.
As AC Schnitzer claims that it is not an error:
  • perhaps this AC S10 rear wheel was not originally designed for the nineT but for another BMW model (R1200?) with a longer wheel center-offset ?
  • Or there is different rear wheel center-offset according nineT versions and they don’t send me the good one ?
  • Or AC Schnitzer, to avoid CNC program fixing decided to go with this off-centered wheel for nineT....
In conclusion, look is nice, dynamic is really improved but rear wheel is off-centered
It’s really a pity ?

Is there any other AC S10 owners who has detected this rear wheel off-center issue ?

Are there experts who know if there is different rear wheel center-offset according nineT models ?

Thanks in advance for all of your responses that could help me to understand origin of this issue.
Stay home, stay safe ... waiting new rides !

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
699 Posts
What year is your bike? According to a quick google ... Euro 4 onwards need an adapter kit. Could this be the issue?
(I've not got these wheels myself)

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Ian_H,

Thanks for your response.

My R NineT is is a 2016 model (with the large ABS ring on front wheel)
So the adapter for Euro4 front wheel (small ABS ring) isn't needed for mine.

My issue is really on the rear wheel (normal rim offset-center is 41,5mm and on the AC S10 the rear rim offset-center is 48,7mm ... This wrong dimension shift the rear wheel to the left side.

Result is a very reduced clearance at muffler with 180x55 tire:

Attachments

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read in the PVM Wheels post that shorter rear bolts for the 5Y wheels must be used. For my AC Schnitzer S10 wheels (also manufactured by PVM) I reused the standard longer rear bolts.
so perhaps, this confirm that 5Y is well centered and that AC S10 aren’t 😕
Sorry to insist, but are there AC S10 owners among nineTowners that could help me to determine if my wheels set has an issue or they are all misaligned ...

thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why don't you just get an aftermarket exhaust? You get pricey machines aluminum wheels and hide them behind stock cans? Just upgrade the pipes and call it a day.

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’re right the stoke pipe hides the wheel. And chamging the pipes by a smaller one could be a solution to get more clearance with the tire.
But at the beginning, my idea was to keep as much as possible the original look of my R9T with its double titane pipe. (main reason to change the stock wheels was to remove the tubes). Often smaller exhaust gives more a sporty look than heritage/scrambler.

But if I could have the rim offset-center measured by an another AC S10 owner, it will help me to status on this issue. And to know if I have to return mines for manufacturing defect.
For me, it is confusing that these pricey wheels have been specified and certified with a misalignment.:oops:
I don’t see the technical reason for it.

So I hope than someone could give me this value the day he unmounting his AC S10 rear wheel.
Or if someone could check his wheels alignment...

·
Registered
2020 Nine T Classic
70 Posts
Hello @Frank13, did finally found the cause / solution to your misalignment issue ? I'm really close to geting these wheels for myself and wouldn't have to deal with the same problem ! Mine's a 2020 Classic .

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Islander-NineT,
No I‘ve not found the cause of this misalignment.
And nobody owning these wheels on the forum has answer to my request regarding measuremen of the rim offset-center to determine if I got a wrong manufactured set or like I suppose all the AC Schnitzer wheels are badly designed.:cry:
I have directly contacted Austria certification TUV and the guy who has certified them don’t know if the wheels are really aligned ! Just he did a ride and said OK it is certified. AC Schnitzer said to me that 7mm misalignment is not a problem ! But on the road I the feeling that my NineT go on the right when I let go of the handlebars.

I think that even on the 2020 nineT the issue is still there. If you can, the better would be to measure the rim offset-center of the S10 wheel before to buying.

But at this step, I advice you to not purchase AC Schnitzer wheels If you want keep your wheel aligned ;)
Galespeed or JB Power could be an alternative

·
Registered
2020 Nine T Classic
70 Posts
Thanks for the reply, this doesn't help me decide wich wheels to get ! :(
Sad that nobody replied to your thread, seems like there is quite a few guys here running these.

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello R9TVR46

no issue to ride 190 doesn’t means that wheels are really aligned.
Do you have checked your alignment ?
And to help me in my case, could you please measure the rim offset offset-center of your rear AC10 wheel ?

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You’re right. It is perhaps the reason of my feelings. It is my first boxer.
Today I used my unaligned AC10 wheels and it works but my wheels have 7mm misalignment and I have to stay with 180 tire to keep enough clearance at muffler :confused: I don’t know how they can announce compatibility with 200 tire !
So very strange that nobody has detected this bad design before

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not sure what the “misaligned” part was about tbh. I run 190/55 and because the boxer engine the cylinder in fact are not aligned with each other, so it does sway to the right at idle if i rev the engine a bit.

mine is also a 2016.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t ride on a bike that the rear wheel is offset by 7mm from the front. That’s a pretty large discrepancy front to back. If you were unaware of that fact or AC didn’t make it known I would simply return them. If you did know and it was advertised by AC than I guess your stuck with them. Just seems very strange to have a wheel so far offset from the original.

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I’m fully agree. I have exchanged several times with AC Schnitzer but they don’t care about this misalignment. for them it is not a problem to have 7mm not centered rear wheel.
I not returned the wheels to AC because I have painted them before to detect this misalignment issue.

I don‘t understand why AC don’t want to correct this design error.

@R9TVR46
It seems that you have the same issue as me. Your muffler is shifted to the left as the aluminum spacer (part 3 in drawing below) is not mounted correctly. If it is at the right place between frame and muffler fixation: clearance will be not enoug for 190 tire like in mine case.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I see what you meant.
However, the linkpipe only rotates so far when mounted like the diagram like you said. It put stress on the linkpipe as though it was pushing it inwards.
Ignore the spacer and put a smaller metal spacer and voila, problem solved.
I never once notice the bike acting weird before and after putting the wheels on vs stocks.

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve not reinstalled stocks wheels to check if the bike goes also on the right at handlebar released.
But for sure with the stock muffler clearance doesn’t allow more than 180 (Cf image)
And 180 on 6 inches wheel is not the top :(
On photos we can see that at swingharm space is enough to allow rim centering

·
Registered
R9T 2020 Option 719
9 Posts
I think that's the intention and all wheels of the AC Schnitzer S10 have it. The reason is obvious, when using the AC Schnitzer Paralever brace adjustable or Wunderlich Paralever torque arm, more space is needed on the right side.

·
Registered
R NineT 2016
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it was the reason, it would be a shame. Off-center wheels to buy an option :rolleyes:
I continu to think that it is a design error: The offset-center is for a 5,5 inches and they increased the rim width without changing it. So the added half inch is only on the left side ...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts