BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been threads for specific action cameras in the past (Go Pro springs to mind) but I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people can place questions, opinions, recommendations and generally discuss these action cameras.....

What features do they have? Mounting options? HD performance? Water proofing? Battery performance? Bundled editing software.... This type of thing!

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK to start the ball rolling...

I am starting to think I could do with an action camera, but am a total newbie when it comes to these things! The last video camera I had used full sized VHS tapes and was the same size and weight as a smallish dog!

I have heard of the Go Pro stuff, but I did see a neat video on this forum shot with a Sony Action Camera and the quality was great. I also really liked the in-built GPs which enabled neat on-screen graphics including a mini map and speed indication.

I have a Garmin Zumo Sat Nav and I notice that it is compatible wit the latest Garmin Virb cameras. I notice that the Garmin VIRB X HD is just about to be released and it has built-in GPS and WiFi, remote controllable from the sat nav, and has built-in GPS for fancy in-video graphics. It is also waterproof which seems like a must-have for motorbike use.

What camera recommendations or advice do you have for a slightly confused, but willing to learn baldy guy?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I have an old gopro (hero2?), as well as a replay xd 1080p. I definitely prefer the bullet cam profile of the replay xd, lack of "fisheye" effect (wide angle lens, but not super wide) wiring options (external mic, hard wire battery) and the fact that its water proof without a case. Similar mounting solutions too.

The new version includes wifi & smartphone connection/remote. I'll probably end up buying it in the near future.

I've not found any editing software worth mentioning though. If there are some suggestions on a cheapish yet good solution I'm all ears.

(Edit) sena also has a new one which integrates a comm system. I don't know anything about it aside from some decent online reviews, and I like my sena10r comm system.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have a mobius camera mounted on the side of helmet, $60 off eBay with an extra long life battery ($29) which lasts for about 2 hours. Very easy to use 1080 resolution 30 to 60 frames per second, great cam for th price. M2c.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Funny you started this thread...

I've been thinking about a camera for some time now. There are so many occasions on my daily rides to and from work that I wished for one several times.

Just a couple of weeks ago I did do some research for a dash-cam and ended up buying a Ambarella GPS mini 0805.

I did consider the Mobius too... might just get one for the bike and install it somewhere at the front.

Maybe someone here has a better idea.

Cheers

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've a Sony Actioncam (AS200v). Before making the purchase, I was considering various actioncams like Gopro, other versions of Sony actioncams, Sena, Garmin and a few others that I put off my list immediately after a basic research.

My requirements were (in this order):
- Quality of the camera/lens & resulting video (night, low light modes and color reproduction)
- Price
- Capture HD
- Wifi/Smartphone app for easy set-up
- Availability of various mounts

Sony As200v and Gopro Hero4 Silver were the frontrunners for my criteria. To choose one, I looked at various videos shot on both cameras.

While GoPro tries to provide a more accurate representation of blues and whites, it's reds are not accurate and sometimes it's whites tend to have reddish tint. On Sony, the color scheme is a little saturated which I liked since when editing videos, I tend to add some saturation for a dramatic color effect and sony doing this by default was ok by me since it saves some time in editing. I can always tick down the saturation if it didn't suit the video.
Sony's low light capture was better compared to Gopro which produced a red tint for whites.

Sony had a slight disadvantage that it showed fish eye effect more compared to Gopro in edges but that was only if the frame was panned from direction to the opposite fast.

Image stabilization was way better in Sony than GoPro which was important to me since my primary use would be to capture my rides which tend to generate a lot of vibrations.

Gopro has more contrast and as a result when zoomed in captures more details while sony has a slight disadvantage in this (i'm referring to 10x zoom and in places with darker colors). But since my primary goal was to capture action, zoom will never be used.

Both shoot 1080p, have smartphone apps for live view, a wearable remote (sold separately) for live view and all the required accessories/mounts and waterproof cases.

Both have a battery life of ~1hr when capturing HD. Any longer, you need a pack of extra batteries and a quick charger which are sold pretty cheap ($17 USD gets you 2 extra high capacity batteries and a quick charger)

Sony supports Wifi and GPS (inbuilt) and NFC while Gopro supports Wifi and Bluetooth. Anything that can be done with Bluetooth can be done with wifi since the connection with your phone/remote is p2p. NFC is not nearly useful unless you have a NFC Forum certified device (which some Android devices do). So neither the presence on NFC nor absence of Bluetooth on Sony bothered me.

Both have proprietary editing s/w which are not comparable to a pro video editing software but are good enough for my purpose. If one ends up using multiple Sony Actioncams mounted at different points on the bike, it's software allows to create a multiview (kind of like multi-pip) with all the tracking information (GPS, speed, distance, time elapsed etc). For slightly advanced video edit, I goto IMovie and anything beyond will be dealt with Adobe video suite (which I don't think I'll ever use for video captured on any actioncam)

Sony AS200v costs $250 USD while Gopro Hero4 Silver costs $400 USD (both without the remotes).

After weighing in all the factors, I went with Sony AS200V and also bought a high quality & capacity SD card which is a must for proper capture of HD video.

Let me know if there are any questions I can answer on these cameras. A sample video shot using the sony actioncam over the weekend @ https://youtu.be/HWtxZ_0qEME

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an Ion Adventure HD camera which has GPS . Loads of mounting options but generally keep it off nmy lid (due to recent scare about injury on cycle helmets - sure motorbike helmet is fine but it got me stressing all the same).
You can upload the recorded video to Kinomaps which shows your route tracked alongside the video playback which is quite neat. This is also social like YouTube.
The other reason I bought this camera is that it has a car mode where video will initiate upon impact detection. It has 2x microSD card slots means you can switch between modes with worrying about overwriting footage on the other. It will bank images and protect them during collision also.
On the bike my favourite mounting position is actually shooting from the back as you see the horizon level tilt when riding twisty hilly roads. Also the Rninet stock has that large area of silly plastic which is good for mounting onto.
Other good thing is that you can preview camera position and playback through an iPad or iPhone wirelessly.
I use Windows Movie Maker for editing or After Effects if its for slicker stuff.
All good fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know there have been threads for specific action cameras in the past (Go Pro springs to mind) but I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people can place questions, opinions, recommendations and generally discuss these action cameras.....

What features do they have? Mounting options? HD performance? Water proofing? Battery performance? Bundled editing software.... This type of thing!
I’ve noticed that there are no mentions about my favourite camera, which is Drift Stealth 2. So I’ll be the first. I use it in downhill mountain biking. It’s attached to my helmet and it’s aerodynamic and so small that it doesn’t disturb me during riding. And it doesn’t look stupid. :) What I also like in this camera is that its batteries endure even 3 hours. And they recharge quickly. Resolution: 1080p at 30fps. You can use it in every weather, even when it rains. But to dive you need to buy an additional case. And the camera is quite cheap in comparison to other ones available on the market. Here you can read more about it: Drift Stealth 2 | Drift Official Online Store | HD Action Cameras.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With the GPS mapping distance and time travelled and the fact that videos are shared over the net, Is no one concerned about the footage being used against you for a conviction?

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had good luck with a Drift HD camera in the past (eg my London commute on a KTM 990 SM-T: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxDHpsQnYI ) but I'm back in the market for a camera and I think GoPro is the way to go, and especially the new Session.

Why?

It's the most versatile - with a million different mounts and aftermarket options you can strap it to pretty much anything so once you want to try filming something other than your rides you have plenty of options. All the helmet mounted cameras are only good for one thing.

No GPS - I think GPS and map tracking is a gimmick, it looks fugly in the videos I've seen and doesn't add to the experience for the watcher. Plus the points above about getting nicked after the fact are scary and all too possible.

/bfg

And baldydave - since you have a mac iMovie is excellent and easy to use while the relatively inexpensive Final Cut Pro is incredibly powerful. Both are way better than anything that comes bundled with a camera.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Action Camera Options

Yeah that did occur to me, but if I was speeding, I don't think I'd publicly post the result....... Private consumption only. ;)
When video recording, consider the following rules of thumb

Rule 27 - if your going to be dumb don't record it.
Rule 28 - If your going to record it, assume it will end up on the internet.
Rule 29 - Remember, it has to be "plausible" deniability

The good news is there are lots of great sites that review action cameras these days. For the most part its hard to go wrong. Pick the features that are most important to you and try to ignore the "cool" stuff that you will probably never use. For the most part you will probably find that any ActionCamera you choose will be a compromise.

The only things I will not compromise on are a replaceable battery, support for an external microphone and a video format that the industry standard tools can edit.

The ones Ive tested recently are the GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony HDR-AZ1 and Sony HDR-AS200V. In the end, the one I opted to keep for the time being is the HDR-AS200V. I loved the HDR-AZ1 but I needed more control over the video features and an external microphone. Overall the AS200V quality is comparable to the GoPro Silver, was half the price of the GoPro had lots of mounting options, a built in GPS and replaceable batteries. It can also be easily adapted to use GoPro mounts. At some point this year I may opt to move to the new Garmin Verb XE based on the types of things I need to record but thats a story for some other time.

As to editing tools almost everyone now supports Sony's XAVC S format. There are a lot of choices dependent on what platform your using (IOS/Android/Mac/Windows). You can spend from $0 to $1000+ depending on how rich your feeling. If your willing to join the Adobe camp you can "lease" your solution on a month to month basis as well. The Adobe camp products can run as little as $14 a month if you only create videos occasionaly ...

Currently I've gone cheap since I got tired of the never ending money stream that seemed to be going to Adobe and their tie in between products that required me to load/update 10-15 products when I only needed to use one or two. Today for personal consumption, I mostly use two consumer oriented video editing tools depending on the end product I need, Sonys PlayMemories for quick and dirty trimming & GPS embedding and Apples iMovie for simple Picture-in-Picture and transitions. For Audio clean up I use SoundSoap and Wavepad.

I should also point out that Sony provides simple editing on IOS as well so you don't necessarily have to have a PC.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had good luck with a Drift HD Ghost Camera. It appears there's a number of quality options.
I used to have Drift Ghost, but I switched to Stealth 2 mainly because of its size. It's more aerodynamic and fits better to the helmet. But I agree that Ghost is also a decent camera.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have recently added a semi permanent dual camera recording system to my R9T. The system I choose was the Innovv K1 motorcycle system (Innovv motorcycle camera | motorcycel recordign system | car dashcam) for aprox $265 US. This is a great deal considering a single gopro typically runs $299+ plus mounts.

The system consists of a central control unit about the size of a pack of cigarettes (you remember those don't you), two small 1"x1" weather proof cameras, a 1/4"x2"x1" gps/speaker, and a panic button. The system was very easy to setup and very reliable thus far. The unit has its own battery but is intended to normally be powered from the bike and the battery just ensures a clean shutdown plus bike movement detection.

Thus far I have both cameras setup for 1280x720 and the video quality is ok. The front camera is on a temporary mount so it vibrates a bit and thus decreases the quality of the video. My hope is to have my permanent mount some time this week end which should resolve the blurriness in the front camera. The unit requires a 64G micro SDIO card and the faster the card the better. To date I have about 7 hours of video on the card and it has not yet overwritten the oldest data yet ...

I posted a video (http://1drv.ms/1OukNUV) showing both day/night for reference. For the best viewing experience you should download it first before playing ...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've been thinking about getting an action camera for a few months now, and have been drawn towards the Drift Stealth2 HD because of it's tinsy winsy size, amongst other reasons.

The price for this unit is normally £150, either off ebay or from many bike shops....but yesterday I received an email from my local BMW dealership saying that from 27th November (today) until the 7th of December they are doing a 'Black Friday' deal, and are offering them for £99, after which the price will revert back to £150.

I placed my order this morn, and will pick it up next Monday. YEEHAA.

I'll let you all know what it's like when I start using it next spring, but just how helpful that review will be is questionable, as I have never used anything else to compare it with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been using the old GoPro 2 on my latest three trips (2013 to Montenegro, 2014 to Norway and 2015 to the Alps). I put in on top of my helmet, so I can shoot also the scenery more easily. I have borrowed the camera from my friend only for the trips, so here's some thoughts about using that model on motorbike trips for the novice point of view:

- be sure that you aim the camera right (it's good to use Wifi + phone for that)
- shoot so much as you can (memory is almost free)
- get some extra battery (one last less than two hours). I bought two extra battery for my friend from Amazon.
- Try to shoot something interesting. I used to watch the nav screen if something special is on the way: great bends, lakes, mountain pass, ect...
- remember shoot something from everywhere, not so easy to remember when in hurry or tired or something like that...
- take also still pictures, I use my dslr for that
- tell something interesting to the camera if you are the poser (I don't like to be on front of the camera)
- shooting is easy (just try to be steady if camera is on the helmet), editing is the hard part

Here is my videos of my trips (sorry for the Finnish texts, I just put the English subtitles available):

-

-

First one is edited with Windows Movie Maker, second is with IMovie. I must say that IMovie wins that comparison...

_____
Jukka

1 - 20 of 25 Posts